iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Been Kicking Myself in the Butt

Started by Bro. Noble, December 29, 2005, 12:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

Ya know how you sometimes learn stuff (often the hard way) and you tell yourself you're never gonna forget that :-\

Well once many years ago, I was in Mass. where some snot-nosed clerk gave me a lesson in ordering coffee.  I was always going to remember that and use it to impress others of my worldly wisdom ;)

Now just as soon as Captain left after a too short of visit yesterday,  I realized I should have asked him if he wanted his coffee 'REGULAR"  ::) :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

What do you put in it, castor oil? ;D

SOKIA

brdmkr

What, no double expresso mocha latte with carmel. ;D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Bro. Noble

I should have asked that knucklehead in Boston that-------now that would have got him 'going' ;)

Captain eats about like a normal person------had 2nds on the gritz 8)

brdmkr,  he just took it regular :)

brdmkr

You know, I really like coffee.  I always drink a pot per day.  Sometimes I drink two.  I even like the really strong dark roasted coffees the best.  But I just cant understand all that latte mocha stuff.  When I do order coffee at a Starbucks (yes, sometimes I pay way too much for a cup of coffee, but don't tell anyone), I order the large not the 'venti'.  In fact, it kind of gets my goat >:( when I order a large and they repeat my order using the word 'venti'.  I guess I just ain't cool :o

Also, cold coffee with whipped cream, milk, chocolate, etc. is not coffee.  It is dessert :)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Skytramp

Amen to that brdmkr Coffee for me is coffee nothing else, hot black and strong, not so strong that it will melt the spoon but enough that you can tell its coffee.
     My wife and I have had it Dad and the Bear over coffee from day one, She likes it where you could see a dime in the bottom and tell if it is heads or tails, I want mine pretty stought.  once I even bought another coffee pot, she would drink hers then drink mine, Lord ya gotta love em.  My dad once said the only thing you can do with weak coffee is pour it out, ha.
     Hi Bro Noble, I always let them fix theirs to suit themselves, then you know its gonna be right.  I have an aquantance (I hesitate to say friend )  that will pour me a cup of coffee as soon as I walk in the door,  With sugar, she drinks hers that way and can't imagine anyone else doing otherwise.  I complain but drink part of it anyway, maybe I should just pour it out, ha.
Hope everyone haa a happy new year;
SkyTramp
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

sawguy21

I stopped for gas and a coffee on the way home from B.C.  They had a blend called "mojo". The decaf (ugh) was called "nojo". ;D The high test was strong, almost bitter, but with a real flavor, really good. I filled the thermos and was WIDE awake for the next five hours.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

crtreedude

Now guys, if you want to talk coffee - I have my own expresso maker! A mill grinder too. And of course, I buy local - REALLY local. Heck, I can go swipe beans if I want...

We have expresso beans - really good. Costa Rican mountain coffee is very smooth, especially the shade grown stuff - but really rich!

The really good stuff is abut 3 dollars a pound. 

I know someone who ships to the USA some incredibly good stuff if you want to know. Shade Grown, organic - once you have it, there is no going back.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Steve

I'd love that address for the coffee if you don't mind.  Great coffee is so much better than "regular" coffee.  I like to put enough condensed milk to make it look like spring runoff.

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

crtreedude

brdmkr

Crtreedude,

Does the CR coffee hold up to a really dark roast?  I have a roaster, but have not roasted my own beans for about 6 months (chaff collector is clogged and needs to be replaced).   I need to make repairs and get to roasting again.   I normally prefer the African coffees for a really dark roast, but if you are making espresso....

crtreedude

It is wonderful dark roasted in my opinion - it is all I drink. Not bitter but strong! Time for another cup!

Striker

I spent some time in Boston in the early 80's, so I know what Bro. Noble is talking about. Them people out there are sure different. :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :) :) :)

Jeff

Burlkraft

CR,

Thanks for that link........I LOVE CR coffee :) :) :) :) :)  It looks like I am going to love the 5 lb. bag ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)   I was soooo jealous of Deadheader when he finally made it there. Every time I hear from him he's drinkin' coffee  :o :o :o :o :o :o

You's guy's are so lucky................I mean besides the weather ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

crtreedude

Burlkraft - we live in the Wisconsin of Costa Rica - 70 % of the milk in Costa Rica comes from this Zone. But the best coffee is from the other side of the mountain.

You might be less jealous of FDH when you hear how hard I am going to make him work...  ;D

Burlkraft

Hard work has never scaired me............

But...Runnin' out of GOOD coffee does >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I think I'm gonna go make some rite now ;) ;) ;) ;)

farmerdoug

CR, I think it would be interesting to see FDH and you try to out work each other.  ::) Don't over do it though.  We would be bored wihout your weather reports. ;)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Fla._Deadheader

Fred is just kidding himself. Give me just he and I, one on one, and we will soon see who's tongue is draggin in the grass.  ::) ::) :P :P :D :D

I gotta teach one of the workers how to use the camera.  :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

Harold - I have 12 workers - we are tag-teaming ya!

After all, they are MY employees...  ;)

Burlkraft

Sounds to me like it's game on in CR ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The gauntlet has been dropped :D :D :D :D :D

Teri

I know who my money is on!!!! ;) ;D :D

Fla._Deadheader

That's quite alright. Them logs and lumber are heavier down there.

Besides, y'all know when that ''special'' big beam just HAS to come outta that distinct log.   smiley_whip smiley_whip smiley_devil smiley_devil
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Fred,
Whatever you do, don't throw Harold in that briar patch.  :D

If it's wood you want sawed, you will both win.  A sawyer is in heaven when he has enough help that he can keep the saw in the wood.  You'll both go home wore out and a stack of wood bigger'n you'll want to stack.  The more he saws the more jobs you'll find for your help.  It starts out pulling boards, then stacking boards then stacking slabs, then moving boards and moving slabs and stacking boards and moving slabs and shoveling sawdust and moving slabs and pulling boards and shoveling sawdust and stacking slabs and looking for a tractor and shoveling sawdust and stacking boards and .......   whew! ;)

Teri

made me tired just reading that. :D :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

Fred, ask Teri how it goes when ya resaw and plane and tongue and groove  ;) ;) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Ah, but I have computer connect (high speed) and Harold doesn't...  :D :D and I have spies!

crtreedude

You are absolutely right Tom - the goal will be to keep that saw singing! Even if someone needs to help Harold push it.

All kidding aside - they will be plenty of young backs and legs around to ease Harold in. He has the knowledge and the guys are looking forward to learning it.

I am going to sit on top of Toro and supervise with my white hat...  ::)

Fla._Deadheader

Them spies all got good gloves  ??? ??? ??? ???

Computer connection won't move wood  ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Teri

crtreedude

Yep, I bring down a dozen gloves just about every trip. We believe in gloves...

I think you have forgotten the deal - you cut - I sell and work with the shipper...  ;)

I push numbers - you push wood...  :D

Burlkraft

Sounds to me like somebody got the better end of that deal :P :P :P :P :P :P

I'm just tryin' to figger which one ;) ;) ;)

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Burlkraft

Do you guys remember that this thread started about coffee  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's funny how things go..............

I want more coffee :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Fla._Deadheader

Just been handed a fresh cup  ;) ;) :D :D :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Teri

I done ran out :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

NEED CARE PACKAGE ASAP!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Buzz-sawyer

Must be ARABICA never ever robusto.....and very dark :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Fresh cup sittin right in front of me.  First Sawmill mod must be a cup holder for some REAL coffee.  :) :) :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Buzz - you are correct, it is arabica, robusto is garbage (in my opinion)... Shade grown organic is killer. Richer, but with less acid. 

getoverit

PSSSSSTTTT

Tom makes a pretty good cup of coffee too :P
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

WH_Conley

Just read on "most viewed news stories" on yahoo about some coffee that came from Thailand or some place over there that was ran through some kind of critter first. Something about how the animal ate the "cherries" that contained the bean, they would look for piles of crap and dig the coffee beans out. High price $175.00 per pound. The big market was San Fransisco. Go figure.

Think I will just let Juan Valdez pick mine.
Bill

isawlogs

Note to self ... If ever in San Fransisco, order coke , not coffee
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

asy

Quote from: WH_Conley on December 30, 2005, 07:40:47 PM
Just read on "most viewed news stories" on yahoo about some coffee that came from Thailand or some place over there that was ran through some kind of critter first. Something about how the animal ate the "cherries" that contained the bean, they would look for piles of crap and dig the coffee beans out. High price $175.00 per pound. The big market was San Fransisco. Go figure.

Think I will just let Juan Valdez pick mine.

This is true, the animal is the palm civet, you can see the story HERE

eeeew...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Don_Papenburg

I don't drink coffee any more , but what is the differance between Arabica and robusto?
And that thing about throught the animal . We have a saying that  quiality is like buying oats , you will pay more for good oats . The cheap ones will be run through the horse first.
So how would one think that coffee beans that have been run through a critter will have any value?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

WH_Conley

Gues you have to live ib San  uh, uh, Franciso.
Bill

sawguy21

Crappucino :D :D :D Woo Hoo :D :D. Article sez the animal lives on alcoholic sap and coffee berries. That cat must be wound tighter than a cheap watch. ;D Coffee would probably be real good as long as I don't know where it came from.

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteCrappucino

>:( >:( DanGit Sawguy. Now I gotta clean off the keyboard and monitor. Wasted a good mouthful of good coffee.  >:( >:(  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

farmerdoug

Only in San Franciso would I beleive that to be true. :D :D

I guess this is a good time not to start drinking coffee. ;) ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

getoverit

I'm still trying to understand "second hand smoke"

now you guys are telling me there is "second hand coffee" ??
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

crtreedude

Types Of Coffee

There are two main species of bean, arabica and robusta. Both thrive in equatorial regions.

Robusta is grown at lower altitudes, 0 to 700 metres, and has a high yield per plant and high caffeine content (1.7 to 4.0%). It accounts for about 30% of world production. Robusta has a stronger flavour than arabica with a full body and a woody aftertaste which is useful in creating blends and especially useful in instant coffee.

Robusta is mainly grown in the following regions:

* Western and Central Africa (Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Uganda, Angola, etc.)
    * Malaysia (Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Sumatra, Java, etc.)
    * Brazil
    * India

Arabica grows at higher altitudes, 1000 to 2000 metres, and while it has a lower yield and less caffeine content (0.8 to 1.4%) it is widely recognised to be superior to robusta. Arabica accounts for about 70% of world production, although only about 10% of this yields "grand cru" beans. Arabica has a delicate acidic flavour, a refined aroma and a caramel aftertaste.

Arabica is mainly grown in the following regions:

* Central America (Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama)
    * South America (Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Argentina)
    * India
    * Eastern Africa (Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Mozambique)
    * Papua New Guinea

Many of the cheaper blends have a higher proportion of robusta compared to arabica. Some high quality blends use a small quantity of the very best robusta beans to give body and character to the blends, particularly in espresso blends.

http://www.anothercoffee.co.uk/coffeeinfo/coffeetypes.aspx

Captain

Coffee Regular = Cream and 2 sugars, at least in New England.  So tell me, what is it called elsewhere??

BTW, I drink my coffee black.  Have since my last cavity over 12 years ago.  I tell Mrs. Captain it is because I get enough of Blonde and Sweet from her...
smiley_whip

Captain

Fla._Deadheader

Coffee' Negro, Por Favor.  Why wood anyone contaminate good coffee with cream and sugar, which is actually milk ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

That would be Café Negro mi amigo...

Of course you need a splash of cream and about a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar - and then of course there is café con leche - which is half coffee and half milk - both really hot mixed at your table. And sometimes they sneak in just a little chocolate when you aren't looking.

It can be pretty good at times for desert.

Tom

Well, that's all well and good, but I want to get back to the original post where Noble seems to be testing my curiosity. 

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on December 29, 2005, 12:04:12 PM
Ya know how you sometimes learn stuff (often the hard way) and you tell yourself you're never gonna forget that :-\

Well once many years ago, I was in Mass. where some snot-nosed clerk gave me a lesson in ordering coffee.  I was always going to remember that and use it to impress others of my worldly wisdom ;)

Now just as soon as Captain left after a too short of visit yesterday,  I realized I should have asked him if he wanted his coffee 'REGULAR"  ::) :D :D

I have a problem with hidden secrets.  They keep me awake until I find out what they are.  OK Noble!  I'll bite.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but, what was this lesson you were given?  

Bro. Noble

Well,  Tom,  It was like this ----best I can remember:

We stopped at this little Mom and Pop store to get gas.  As I was paying,  I noticed they had a pot of coffee on and it sure smelled good. 

Me:  I'll also have a cup of coffee to go.

Clerk:  regular?

Me:  no,  it smells awfully good,  I think I'll have a large.

Him:  (looking at me like I'm a moron)  we just got one size.

Me:  (wondering why he asked me in that case)  OK

Him:  (looking at me like I was a moron and in a disgusted voice) regular?

Me (really confused)  I suppose.

Him (starting to put contaminates in my coffee)

Me:  I'd rather have it without that stuff.

Him:  What are you,  some kinda wise guy?

Me:  I'll tell ya what, buddy,  We're just going down the road a ways to my brother-in-laws.  I think I'll just wait till I get there to have my coffee ------- he'll probably have the pot on.

BIL:  ya want some coffee?

Me:  You bet.

BIL:  regular?

Fla._Deadheader

Sorry it took ya so long to stick yer neck in YOUR thread, Bro. Noble. However, That last part was worth the wait.  8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Whatzit with all these guys makin' coffee milkshakes?

My wife, who doesn't drink coffee, stops at a dairy queen for ..........  coffee(?).    

She returns to the car with a paper cup and a round plastic top with a big hole and a straw stuck in it.

What is that?

Coffee

Lemme taste it. ..............Yuck!  It crunches.

Yeah, stupid, it has ice in it.

?????? :-\

Norm

Well Noble that was worth the wait. :)

I hate coffee that has anything in it, Patty drinks hers with some kind of flavored cream. The smell is terrible but she insists it's delicious, I'm just gonna take her word for it. ;)

Burlkraft

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now I get it..........That's a great story there Bro. Noble

I always like my coffee regular ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Although I have been told that I am irregular :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

sawguy21

That almost sounded like Laurel and Hardy's " Who's on first" routine :D :D :D

Tom

Abbot and Costello, Sawguy.  You young whippersnappers.  :D :D

sawguy21

Just testing you oldtimer :D :D :D Actually you got me. It was Abbott & Costello.

Tom

I love that skit.  Every time one of you jokers brings it up, I have to go find it on Google and wear it out.  :D

OneWithWood

Ah, coffee.  Got off of it for a number of years, switched to green tea.  Got to feeling too healthy so now I have two cups when I am at my day job.  Drink green tea at home 'cause me sweet wife wants me healthy.  I normally drink good coffee 'black' and strong.  When I need a real buzz I have a Cafe' Mocha.  Expresso with dark chocolate - yeah mow we are zipping!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Percy

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on December 29, 2005, 12:26:18 PM

Captain eats about like a normal person------had 2nds on the gritz 8)

The Captain eats GRITS????? Say it aint so.......... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Captain

I do prefer my corn whole and on the cob, but I just had to try those quick (NOT INSTANT) grits that Noble had.  I'm not sure I can tell the difference as good as DanG can....

Captain

Bro. Noble

That Captain,  he's allright 8) --------drinks his coffee the REGULAR way------BLACK :D :D

I did confess to him that although I like grits (even instant),  my very first choice is SPUDS ;D

Jeff

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on January 03, 2006, 11:52:10 AM
That Captain,  he's allright 8) --------drinks his coffee the REGULAR way------BLACK :D :D

I did confess to him that although I like grits (even instant),  my very first choice is SPUDS ;D

this shall go in da knowledge base
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

IMERC

seems coffee isn't what you think it is or isn't  http://www.coffeescience.org/

saw an article in U.S. World News that was very interesting a couple of weeks ago. wish I could find it now.
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Thank You Sponsors!