iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Peterson mill arrived yesterday! Engine wont start...

Started by Troy, December 29, 2005, 08:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

... Because I didn't receive an ignition switch key!

Looks like Peterson's is closed for the Hollidays too.  Captain, Ga. Boy - any suggestions!
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

oakiemac

Hot wire it. That is what I had to do with mine until the owner found the key. We just shorted across the coil to the starter if I remember right.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

DanG

Not the coil! :o  I think you're thinking of the solenoid.  I don't know if that'll work with the Peterson.

Captain is on the road, but maybe Ga_boy will check in soon.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Hey Troy.  Ga_boy was online a couple of hours ago.  You got his phone number?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

rbjones03

Mine was wired to the Dip Stick. But the key from my garden tractor fit it to.

Shouldn't be to hard to find a suitable substitute.
Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

Part_Timer

Troy

I found that the key for my John Deere lawn tractor works fine.  just don't ask why I know that.  :) If you can't find one that works send me your address and I'll send one to you.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Troy

Thanks for the replys guys.  Just frustrating after you spend that much money and wait so long for the mill to get here and find that "one little thing" missing...

DanG -  I've got Marks number, I'll give him a shout later today.  Maybe his spare key will work in my engine.

Tom - Hang onto your "mill" key in case you ever lose you "lawn tractor" key!  Thanks for the offer, I should be able to find a JD lawn tractor key, now that I know they work, if all else fails.
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

FC_PineKnot

Glad to hear your mill has arrived Troy - mine is still stuck in transit!!!!      It was supposed to have been delivered last week, then this week, then today............. found out this morning that it's stll in Memphis!  If it makes it to Jackson tonight, I'm going to get it tomorrow!!!!!!!!  Won't be able to wait till next week for the truck line to deliver it.  They only come to my area on Tuesdays and Thursdays - sometimes it is inconvenient to live in the sticks (even though we ARE in the center of the universe!).

The company transporting the mill to me is "Overnite Transportation" (some part of UPS).  Since it took less time to get the mill from New Zealand to Los Angeles on a boat, maybe they should consider changing their name!!!!!!!! :D

Hope they didn't forget to put the key in mine too........

Keep us posted (with lots of pics)

Ga_Boy

Hi Troy,

Glad to hear your mill is in, but sorry to hear about your problem finding the key.

Give me a call anytime you want.

My key was on the oil dip stick.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Troy

Hey PineKnot - mine was suposed to be here last week too, then it was coming on Tuesday, when I called the shipper on Tuesday they said it will be tomorrow...  Overnite brought mine as well.  The crates were torn up pretty good, couple bands were missing and the crate with the rails was busted open on both ends and parts were sticking out about a foot on one end.  Luckily there seems to be no major damage - had me worried though.  I thought they were to be trucked direct so they did not get moved on and off trucks four or five times?  My driver would not sign the sheet for the shock guards even though they had the forms in a plastic bag with a note stating that the driver was to fill out each one... Good luck with yours!

Mark - hopefully you solved the mystery.  I'll look on the dipstick when I get home.  I looked all over thinking it would be taped on somewhere.  I'll let you know what I find out.  I'm leaving early today anyway, maybe I'll get lucky!
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

crtreedude

Perhaps that is a very good idea - after all, you should check the oil BEFORE you start it...  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

sawguy21

Quote from: crtreedude on December 29, 2005, 11:52:24 AM
Perhaps that is a very good idea - after all, you should check the oil BEFORE you start it...  ::)
Don't ever assume it has the correct amount if any. Taping the key to the dipstick is an excellent idea.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Troy

I never got as far as putting oil and fuel in it last night so it may very well be on the dip stick.  I looked through all the enclosed packaging, on and around the engine and frame, (not specifically the dipstick area).  Hopefully it will be staring me in the face when I get home this afternoon.  Battery and oil are the last things I have to install.  Wish it would stop raining.
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

GF

Husband

Chris here from Petersons, the key should be located on the dipstick.  ???If not I can kick some butt for you! >:(
I am on holiday but have found a computer close by so have hi-jacked it for a bit....... will check on you later.
Chris

Troy

Chris,

No need to kick any tail.  I found it on the dipstick as you and Ga. Boy suggested.  Pretty well hidden down on the engine case.  I was thinking it was attached to the top of the dip stick.  Would have been nice to have a note to indicate where to look for it.  Everyone will know now!  Thanks all for your support and letting me vent.  Fired it up just a little while ago and it cranked up and ran fine.

Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Captain

That's just the place to look.  Kohler ships them there, and I usually put them back there for shipping, NZ does too.

Hey, I've got a big box here that arrived today while I was gone.  Wonder what's inside??

Captain

getoverit

o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o I'm dieing over here... Mine left NZ on Dec 21st, and I'm not supposed to get it until Jan 26th.....At least I'll know where to look for the key when it does get here :P

Pictures Troy, we need Pictures !!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Troy

Getoverit - from you signature I thought you already had your mill.  Heck, I've been envious of you all this time!  I may not get to set mine up and saw anything til Monday, but I'll make sure to take some pics for you.  I wish I had taken a picture of the crate once I had it opened.  There was a lot of stuff packed in that thing!  Took a while to get it all untangled.  I ended up putting the jockey wheels on the saw carriage and moving it off the crate to be able to get all of the rails and supports out from under it.  Hang in there Buddy!  I'll keep you posted as things progress. 
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

FC_PineKnot

Troy,

Overnite Transportation says my mill finally made it to Jackson last night, so if nothing changes, I'll pick it up there this afternoon and maybe get to make some sawdust tomorrow!!!!!!

Wonder if they'll refund some freight charges since I have to drive about 180 miles round trip to get it.  >:(  (Dream on, huh!)

I won't be able to post any pics till next week, but I promise to send a bunch then.

At least I know where to look for that Key!

Happy New Year to everyone - may God bless you all next year!

getoverit

Nope, I haven't got mine yet... the money for it left my bank and went to theirs though... I hope you enjoy yours and much as I hope I'm going to enjoy mine.

I got to itching so much to smell sawdust that I went over to Tom's place yesterday. Didnt get to smell the sawdust, but he makes a pretty good cup of Deadheader coffee ;D

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Ed_K

Ed K

Husband

Glad I dont need to do that to! Some of them boys are bigger than me ;D
I am sure all will go well and you will have a blast on the mill, as mentioned, WE WANT PICS.
We are having a ball here on holiday, swimming, drinking, golfing, drinking, eating, did I mention drinking too ::). Great weather here, about 28-30 celcius, no clouds, you know all the good stuff. :P
Chris

Captain

I'll think of you today, Chris, when I'm driving nails in this heat we've got too.  Drop your temperature readings about 6 degrees and change the scale to Fahrenheit   smiley_grin_earmuff

Troy

Hey Ed - I did get to mill a red oak log last Thursday night and instead of framing the first board, I'm going to "make a frame from my first board"!  I cut several 4" 4/4 pieces that will work just fine.  I think I'll leave it rough cut and put a picture of me milling in it to hang on the wall of my barn I will build some day.  Thanks for the idea!

Troy
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Thank You Sponsors!