iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WAX

Started by Radar67, December 27, 2005, 11:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

I've been checking out some of the wood and turning blanks on Ebay. Many of the sellers state they are sealing all sides of the turning blanks with wax. Would anyone know what type of wax is used? I'm thinking parrafin.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Burlkraft

Parafin works........but it's a lot of work.  :( :( :( :( :( I use green wood sealer that I get at the local Woodcraft store. Anchorseal is another good option. This stuff comes liquid and just brushes on. Then it dries just like wax......... ;) ;) ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Radar67

Burlkraft, thanks. I had used parrafin on Bo sticks before, and it is a lot of work, and many coats. I'll have to try the green wood sealer. Is there a specific brand or product name?

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Burlkraft

I just looked on the bottle and all it says is Woodcraft Green Wood Sealer.

I think if you look on www.woodcraft.com you can buy it online if you don't have a store near you :) :)

Radar67

Great link, I find interest in more than the sealer on that one.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Stew

Tom

My favorite turning sealer is Johnson's Paste Wax.   You can usually find it in the Grocery Store if your Hardware store doesn't have it.  :)

Anchor Seal would probably be a good option too, but, the paste wax is handy.  I keep 15 or 20 cans on hand just in case I might need one.  :D

The Paste wax is also good for planer beds, lubricating and protecting the screw towers on planers, slicking up table saw tables and circular saw blades.  Not to mention a quick finish for rustic table tops, or rustic furniture that you want to preserve the natural color.  It is a pretty good makeshift waterproofer for where the bootsole is stitched to the top too.  I wouldn't use it for a boot wax though 'cause it gets kinda hard. :)

Radar67

I used to buff floors with that stuff.  :D :D :D

I have used it on table saw tables and on unfinished wooden saw handles, great product!!

FYI- It spreads better if you light it with a match and let it melt a little first. Use the top to extinguish the flames.

Stew

Ironwood

The problem with parrafin is the cracking of the surface. Seems the parafin is too brittle, instead use Anchorseal as mentioned. There is no comparison and the Anchorseal is worth every penny, trust me I have sealed tons of wood. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Don P

More useless info, a can of Johnson Paste Wax will just fit into a planer 6" suction flex pipe. The can is just stout enough to take a blade out of a fan.  Or so I've heard  ::).

Burlkraft

Ouch......................

I know just what yer talkin' about...Don

Just like the 4 X 4 X 2 that went into mine. :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

That's a horrible sound...ain't it :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Thank You Sponsors!