iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawlex 06?

Started by Brad_S., December 27, 2005, 05:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

I'm trying to plan time off for a show or two this year. Richmond looks interesting, but I enjoyed Sawlex even though it was small and would like to go again. Any one know if they are having it again this year?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

maple flats

When I read your SAWLEX question yesterday, I sent Ted Hugger, the promoter an email and here is his reply: copied and pasted from his email
" Good morning, Dave,
Thanks for writing.  We are, indeed, planning SAWLEX for 2006.  It's looking like SAWLEX will be held in South Carolina in September or October.  Then, in 2007, it will return to northeastern Ohio, and alternate every year thereafter.  I'm going down to SC next week to do site inspections and make the final arrangements, so hopefully, we'll have an official announcement very shortly.  We've had a tremendous amount of interest in this year's show...promises to be a much bigger event!"

Therefor the answer is most likely. He will notify me when plans are firmed up and I will post them here and will put it on the calendar as well.

logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

GareyD

Quote from: maple flats on December 28, 2005, 06:20:10 PM
We are, indeed, planning SAWLEX for 2006.  It's looking like SAWLEX will be held in South Carolina in September or October.

YaHoooo..Some of us Suddern members can go to sawlex and pert near drive home fer lunch..,'stead of that 14 hour drive we hadta make this year :)
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

maple flats

I got another email from Ted Huggar, promoter of SAWLEX today. It is probably just a courtesey but he asks what I think about the location for 06. the following is copied from the email:
Sure!  The Forestry Forum booth was awesome, Dave. I'll send you the info as soon as it's nailed down.

While we're chatting, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Columbia, SC area location for the show.  We'll have pretty much the same format as 05, with the Great Portable Sawmill Shootout, etc.  We're expecting greater participation by the big-equipment logging dealers this year, and we're hoping to add an in-the-woods demonstration component, too.  Tentative dates would be Oct 27/28, Oct 13/14 or Nov 17/18.  In 2007, the show would move back north (northeastern Ohio or possibly western Pennsylvania, and then alternate locations each year thereafter.

Cheers!

Ted

I put the question up to the FF members and I will send Ted the results.
Maple Flats
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Brad_S.

Maple Flats,
Thanks for the follow through inquiry! smiley_thumbsup

IMO, I think the alternating location from north to south and back is good for them exposure wise. Sept through the first snows are my busiest months due to people getting their woods ready for winter and would prevent me from going to the northern show even every other year. That's just me though.

Captain

October is tough gor me with with Sunbelt Ag in Moultrie, GA and Paul Bunyan in Nelsonville, OH.  Three shows will put me over the edge... ::)

I like June better.... :)

Captain

Tom

June in South Carolina.  ;D

Captain, by lthe time you got back to Taxachusets, You'd have to yell to let folks know you were in the room.

You think you were hot in Moultrie.........    :D :D :D

Captain

Tom, will my favorite little flies be in South Carolina??  I sure got my protein in Moultrie last October, they liked me  :D

Captain

Engineer

Bummer, I thought I'd be able to make it to SAWLEX for the first time.  But not SC.   :(

See ya in 2007 in Ohio. 

Tom

Go where the money is, Engineer.  :D'

Gnats are a problem everywhere, Captain.  The problem is that you don't know when or where.   I've never been able to figure out "why".  :D

They are a temporary nuisance and can be there one day and gone the next.

I hate them.  They are too small to fight and almost too aggressive to fool. 

I think they are everywhere.  I've run into them in the UP and south to Key West.   If God ever made an aggravating, persistant, pest,this is it and he did a real good job.  :D

Brad_S.

I've resorted to Raid Yard Guard at times and have met with some success. Not sure which is worse, gnats or breathing Yard Guard. ::)

red

any news?

did  the Columbia,SC  area  work out

and are they  still thinking of  oct-nov ?

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Husband

Still waiting on the wod from the horses :-X mouth but someone told me that they are not having it this year??? :( :(

Sam

I was told that it will not take place until April '07 and it will be in South Carolina. That's the latest that we've been told.

Sam :(

Jeff

I have been in contact with Ted Hugger and he wanted me to tell you all that SAWLEX will happen again, and that the dates and location will be announced within the next few weeks. I'll have quite a bit more to add as things develop. 8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Part_Timer

The other night we were talking about it and Zac(my son) asked if we could take our mill and enter in the shootout?

Now I know that we would not be as fast as the Pro's are but if my teenage son wants to spent time with dad instead of playing video games  I'm in. 8) 8) 8)

My question is how does one go about getting entered in the shootout?

Thanks
Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Brad_S.

The shoot out is for manufacturers to showcase their stuff and to date has not been for the guy on the street. If you want to give it a try, you should probably contact your mill maker and ask if they would be interested in having you run their equipment at the next shootout.

It would be an interesting concept to have a users shoot out! Bring your own mill and show what you can do!
I was asked if I wanted to take a mill to Ohio and represent Timber Harvester last year but I chickened out. Too much pressure to perform in front of thousands of my peers on a strange machine. smiley_gossip I've used enough different TH's to know they're like dance partners, the steps are the same but each one is a little different and since I couldn't use my own mill (lost its 'new' look years ago) I passed. After actually seeing the competition last year, I sort of regret passing on the opportunity.

Jeff

While watching last years shootout I was rolling over the idea between me myself and I that what would be awesome if the manufactures had their own customer shootouts leading up to the main shootout. They would end up with a top customer Representative to then compete at the main shootout. I am sure that would take a lot of forethought and consideration as a company really needs to have control on how they are represented.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Part_Timer

Ok, time to go with plan B
Peterson 8" ATS.

Brad_S.

Let me guess. Plan B would be proposing to Jeff that the annual pig roast features the Great Forestry Forum Sawmill Shootout held in Jeff's back yard. Each participant gets 4 logs of whatever species it is Jeff needs for his next project and has up to two hours to get them cut. Inspector Woody decides what passes for usable lumber. Am I close? ???

Todd

Would scoring be based upon footage, accuracy, and enjoyment had? ;)
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Captain

OK Jeff, I'm in :)

Captain

wiam

I think manufacturer representatives should start with a handicap. :D

Will

Part_Timer

Nope not even close to plan B :P, but I like your idea, count us in.

sounds to me like Jeff better start planning a barn. ;D
Peterson 8" ATS.

Captain

I may be a manufacturer rep, but I'm just a part time sawyer.  :)

Now what would be really funny is to put me on a WM and Arky on a Peterson.

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!