iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Labs

Started by Darin, December 27, 2005, 01:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin

Well I've decided its time for my 5 year old son to have his first pup. Does anyone know of a excellent and trustworthy black lab breeder.

Thanks
Darin

ohsoloco

Maybe I'm just cheap, but I can't see paying for a dog  :-\  I think mutts make the best pets and seem to have fewer health problems.  Mine is only half lab.  I vote for a Heinz 57  :D

estiers

I agree.  We have 2 pound puppies and they are great dogs.  One of them can be seen in my Christmas album submission.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Quartlow

Quote from: Darin on December 27, 2005, 01:45:05 PM
Well I've decided its time for my 5 year old son to have his first pup. Does anyone know of a excellent and trustworthy black lab breeder.

Thanks
Darin

Sure you don't want a brown one  ;D

other wise call
http://www.mateerlabs.com/
Mateer Labradors
662 Plain Grove Road
Slippery Rock, Pa 16057

http://www.mateerlabs.com/litternews.htm

Our female came from them and she is actually my brothers neighbor, good folks even though her webdesign leaves a lot to be desired  ;D

Our female has been a great dog. Sherry really cares about the dogs and loves to hear from her babies
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

submarinesailor

Daren,

Try this link to the Kentucky Lab Rescue agency.

http://www.kylabrescue.com/

Bruce/subsailor

moosehunter

Check out " we have a new addition" by Quartlow further down the general board.

How do I put a link to another thread on this thread??
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jeff

Just go to the thread you want to direct too, copy the address that you see in your browser, then come back and paste it in your post. It becomes a link automatically.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

moosehunter

We have a new addition!!!

I don't think that worked?

moosehunter

We have a new addition!!!

Boy I are really dumb when it comes to this 'puter stuff.

moosehunter

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=16243.0

OK, I have a headache and still can't figure it out. I'm goin' home. See ya tommoro.

sprucebunny

mh     ....   You got it  8)

I always get pound dogs.

Some have been the greatest friends ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Darin

I've had mutts and purebreds and agree with everthing. It does seem that the mutts are much better adjusted. I had one purebred that was so dumb her IQ started at 0 then went downhill from there. But these are labs (maybe its just me) but I have to have a purebred. You know with names Like King Who Done It or Queen Khow It All.

Quartlow sorry it must be a black male or I might take you up on one.

Thanks Everyone
Darin

Dan_Shade

mutts are typically less prone to some genetic defects.  But if you get a purebred from a reputable breeder, they screen for that stuff (like hip displaysia, and other genetic pre-dispositions).

Purebred dogs have thier advantages too.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Lud

You sound set on the lab and that's a good thing..........but just for info,  until 1905 it was known as the Lesser Newfoundland,  a sub category of the Newfoundland Dog.

I've had Newfies for the past 20 years and there's a 130 lbs of love in a Newfie female named Daphne with copious amounts of black hair, webbed feet,  and drool thrown in for free.  Nothin' like it!

And just to try the other side of the coin, we got a West Highland terrier named Doone,  at the same time. He's only 23 lbs of white-haired attitude  who's the brains of the operation.  He's sure he's the boss and she's the help!  And unsurpassed as a lap dog and noselicker.

Little white guy and a big black girl...it's an exercize in diversity!

Consider getting two.....they are always company for each other.  dogs come best in multiples,  wouldn't y'all agree?? :)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

sawguy21

My landlord had a Newfie and an intelligent 130 lb dog can be a handful. She kept tunnelling under the fence so we buried chicken wire to discourage her. She started getting out again and we could not figure where. Then he caught her. She was bracing her back against the shed wall and pulling herself up a tree until she could reach the top of the fence then climb over :o We fenced off that corner of the yard while she watched then went in the house. She sniffed out the new addition then turned around, sat down and started to bark. She was not a happy camper. :D :D :D
I have found labs to be a very docile pet most of the time and they are generally followers. They seem  content  to go along with the program and let dogs like Doone start the parade.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

johncinquo

I ve had my share.  Just a couple words of advice,  labs are known to suffer seperation anxiety so leaving them alone for long periods of time bothers them, and will reak havock on anything you happened to leave laying around.  Shed walls, drywall, remote controls, tupperware, axe handles, it makes no difference.  Make sure you put away all shoes, I can still ID the guys with labs at the gun range just by checking out their boots.   Always make sure undergarments are picked up and put away out of reach.  My Buddy spent enough money at the vets getting them taken out of stomachs and digestive systems to pay for several new purebred dogs, and training by a pro. 

Would I have another?  You betcha!  Great hunting dogs, great kid dogs, great companions, great home protectors. 

Oh  yeah, when on road trips, a double cheese burger os not a good special treat unless you plan on them riding in the back the whole way home.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Lud

We did that cheeseburger thing with the previous newf ,  Lucia,  when we took her to Bar Harbour-  makes you put down the windows!!

We solved our wandering problems with the Pet-Safe system. Much better than fences.   And this from someone who spent 4G's on orthopedic surgery after the hit and run gave Lucia a quadruple pelvic fracture.

You just plug it in and tune the size of the circle up to 90' radius.  The nickle size battery in the collar give a warning to tell 'em they're getting to the edge and then zaps 'em.  Tried it on myself and I'll tell you I ran up on the porch and lay there whimpering!  THEY STAY IN THE CIRCLE!  Cheap insurance and they're so happy to be outside.

Unplugged it and took it on vacation too.  And better than a system with buried wire as while chasin' a rabbit a dog can blast thru and be on the outside of the wire.  Pet-safe has no line,  you're safe inside or you're getting nailed until you get back in!  Like the time the wife carried the Westie across the line to inquire kto why the potato had come out of the sky onto the house roof.  He was real unhappy - gettin' nailed and she wasn't paying attention to him!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

johncinquo

;D

Yeah the electric fences can be a trick, and add some humor on occasion.   I had the buried line and that wont stop a dog on the run after kids or animals.  Then they stand outside it pacing back and forth waiting for you to come out and let them back in.    I learned they also go off even if the dog is in the  pickup and you drive over them.  That'll wake you up in a hurry. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

ohsoloco

I learned REAL quick to keep a tidy house with my dog around  :D  I could never get her to calm down in the crate.  Once or twice I had to put her in the crate right after we moved into the house and then leave to get some things done, and she was freaked out even after I came home and let her out.  Maya has chewed up two remote controls, countless books from the book shelves, cassette tapes, CD's, vinyl records, and a futon mattress  >:(  She's calmed down a lot now (she's a little over a year and a half), but I still can't trust her with the new futon mattress (my couch).  Got a new one that I use on the weekends when I'm around all the time, and the old, chewed up one that I have to use during the week when I go to work  :P

Slabs

I vote for a Heinz 57 

And name him POTLIKKER !!!!
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!