iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Camera

Started by Frank_Pender, December 26, 2005, 08:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

We are headed to the big city of Salem today, to look at getting a deal on a new camera.    Any suggestions on brand, model, etc. for a video/digital camera?  Like everyone else, I am looking and value for the dollars spent.  I saw some in yesterdays adds that run for $700 to $300.  :'( That is enough right there to keep me on the Farm.
Frank Pender

farmerdoug

Frank, I picked up the Kodak Easy Share Z730 for 200.00.

Is is a nice camera.  It has 5.0 megapixels and has a video recording feature too. I think it is will worth the money.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Radar67

Frank, find one with a rechargable battery if possible. Digitals are notorious for eating up AA batteries.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ronwood

Canon A510 is a nice camera for around $200.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Frank_Pender

Thanks guys, I new I could count on some information before I headed to town. 
Frank Pender

vgbob

Something I discovered to help extend the life of my
batteries is to pop the battery compartment door open
when not using the camera. I have a Fuji FinePix, an older
model. Apparently there is some drain even turned off.
Not sure why, outside of to maintain the camera settings.
The memory is fine, I've never lost pictures. But I'd test
that with your own specific camera. In my case all I have
to do is reset the date, if I care about it. This has improved
the life of my batteries considerably. If you use the camera
a lot, perhaps it would be less of a difference.

Jeff

If you have to leave for town shortly, and need more info, go to the search and search digital cameras. There are several lengthy threads wiht all kinds of information and testimonials.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

I did just that, Jeff.   I would rather be lost in the forest for the trees.  Man, what a place.  I did not even know where to begin. :'(  I will go back and nose around.  ZI was just told that the camera has to be a DVD type, whatever that means. :'(
Frank Pender

FiremanEd

Frank,

I just got a Cannon SD450 for $250. It's high pixels, rechargable battery, smallllll (almost toooo small for my big meathooks) and easy to use. I had a SD200 for a couple years, it left with the ex. I miss the camara.  ;D

I did a lot of research and didn't find anyone with a Cannon Elph that didn't like it. So far I love mine.

Eddie
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

FiremanEd

Sounds like you're looking for a video recorder instead of a still camara. The DVD ones are nice. If your computer has a DVD burner or if you have access to one look at the camcorders that have internal memory. They cost about the same as a DVD burning one hold a lot more video without having to carry spare DVD disks with you. It's easy to burn the video to a DVD after you get back home.

Eddie
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Frank_Pender

It is getting close to time of heading out the frontdoor.  I am writing all of this information down and hoping for the best for the least. :'(  With the wife along, no telling what I will come home with and less, for sure. ::) :'(
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

Yep, I can't do anything right.  I was just informed that the camera had to be able to take still pictures as well.  This thing really must be some sort of highbred piece of machinery.
Frank Pender

WH_Conley

I may be out in left field here, but I have a question, because I have no idea about these things. But the camera that takes a dvd, wouldn't it be better if for example you were going on a trip and did not have access to a dvd burner? Only thing that got me to thinking is that I have got out before and wanted more pictures and wanted more pictures on my camera and was out of room. Not meaning to second guess you Ed, just wondering.
Bill

Frank_Pender

Wh, that was what iI this morning, second guessed the Wife.  That is a no, no.  Boy, I ZI get chewed out for not asking a complete question. :'( :-[
Frank Pender

farmerdoug

Frank,  The Kodak Z730 has a rechargable battery, takes both stills and video, uses SD memory cards and is still a reasonable size to use.  Alot of the cameras out there are going the way of cell phones, too small for a guy with big hands to use.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

FiremanEd

Good point WH, the internal ones start at about 4.5 hrs of video and you can get ones that'll hold 10hrs but that is a concern if you don't have a portable computer. Definatly a point to consider if you do much traveling.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Frank_Pender

Well, we just back from the big City of Salem.  Even had to drive 20 miles North to Woodburn Outlet stores for some designeer jeans, for the wife. 

Came home with the following: Camera; Sony DVD 403 Handycam.  RW DVD +Rewritable Megapixel Engine with High quality wide/ 16:9

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( smiley_ignore
Frank Pender

SwampDonkey

Quote from: farmerdoug on December 26, 2005, 08:56:44 AM
Frank, I picked up the Kodak Easy Share Z730 for 200.00.

Is is a nice camera.  It has 5.0 megapixels and has a video recording feature too. I think it is will worth the money.

Farmerdoug

Doug I think that is the one my brother and cousin each have. But it was $600 with rebates and 1 gig memory. Maybe it's the next model up. Kodak has a 7 megapixel, but the battery case was too flimsy and my brother had to take two back because if it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Frank_Pender on December 26, 2005, 02:42:15 PM
Well, we just back from the big City of Salem.  Even had to drive 20 miles North to Woodburn Outlet stores for some designeer jeans, for the wife. 

Came home with the following: Camera; Sony DVD 403 Handycam.  RW DVD +Rewritable Megapixel Engine with High quality wide/ 16:9

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( smiley_ignore

Too spendy Franko?  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frank_Pender

Yes, the designer jeans, $35 a pair, and of course she had to have two pair. :'(
Frank Pender

getoverit

Cheer up Frank :P It could be worse.......

she could be one of them BIG women (poke, poke, knod, knod) that takes two pair of jeans to fit it all in there..... does a croaker sack and a couple of basketballs give ya an idea of what I'm talkin about? :D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

SwampDonkey

That's cheep, they're over $60 a pop here.

Frank_Pender

Thanks SW, I feel a bit better on some of what was purchased today. ;)
Frank Pender

dail_h

Why shoot,$35 for a pair of nice lookin jeans for the wife ain't too bad,my last pair of Dickies bobs was $28,an I don't look nowhere as good in'em as the wife does in hers
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Frank_Pender

Thanks for the encouragement, Dail.  I am getting away with not haveing to get an anniversary present for tomorrow, 26 years.   I guess the camera and the jeans did the trick. ;D ;D ;)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!