iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

History of Forestry and Logging Books???

Started by seastrike, December 19, 2005, 08:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seastrike

Any reccomendations on a book or two on this subject for a christmas present. It is for a guy who has made his living in the timber industry for about 35 years now, and is fasinated by the history of our industry. Someone suggested Endless Tracks in Woods on here a week or so ago, but I have not had any luck finding an available copy.

Thanks

seastrike

After thinking a bit,,,,,A good book on the history of looging or timber harvesting is really what I'm after. How did they do it 100-500 years ago???

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Kevin

If they enjoy good stories, High Climbers and Timber Fallers is a good read on the redwoods on the west coast.
It is written in detail by a timber faller.

Baileys

Here's a Forestry Forum Link on some of his work ...
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=5458.0

SwampDonkey

If you explore Amazon.com a little with some search words you may find a book that lets you read some excerpts through a service called 'Look Inside'. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

If you really want the historicalbible you should get a primer of forestry by gifford pinchot.  I printed off the internet.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Hoop

Daylight in the Swamp: By Jim Froelich and Pat Dewitt

The book is now out of print.  I've read it, twice.  Hard to put it down once you start.

The book is about the logging history of Wisconsin, and the colorful loggers that took part in it.  The one chapter called "Hayward, Hurley & Hell" describes the 2 semi-lawless towns that logging built, the taverns, the sporting houses, the fistfights, etc.

The book describes the hard work the loggers did, and how most of them quickly spent their money in taverns, whorehouses, etc. 

If you're looking for something sanitized, this isn't it.  If you're looking for reality of the way it was, this is the one.

Thank You Sponsors!