iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite thing about the woods

Started by jon12345, December 22, 2005, 11:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boboak

The peace and quiet and solitude are what draws me back to the woods every time.  I've tried a lot of other ways of making a living but the woods have a stronger claim to me than anything else.  What I like best about the woods is the way it allows you to watch mother nature heal itself.  We do a lot of clear cutting and quite frankly theres nothing reallly any uglier than a clear cut.  But if you come back next year you'll see the healing process beginning and after five years everything is starting to look real good again.  After ten years its hard to tell that man was ever there and after twenty years you have the beginnings of another real forest.  We re-plant heavily and it pays off.  I like to take my boy with me and show him places that we logged years ago and what it looks like now.  I tell him to bring his children and someday their children to these same places and they can see nature restoring itself.
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

Max sawdust

Quote from: thecfarm on December 24, 2005, 09:54:33 PM
I have on 2 seperate times had to stop and watch a deer go in front of a running tractor when I was cutting wood.I think I would of run into her if I wouldn't of stopped.I doubt that I would of hit her,but I still wonder what would of happened if I didn't stop.This is in off season,of course.

Isn't that great.  I have that happen many times.  Heck I even got out of my tractor and walked right twords deer running the skidding cable out, wrap it around  a tree with deer 15 yards away and walk back, they paid little attention to me I was part of the woods to them 8)

Now try to sneak around with a gun or bow and some fancy scent block and the will spot ya and run.  Been thinking about bottling Diesel fuel, two cylce smoke and saw dust mixed together for a deer attractant ;D ;D
Might be able to make a few dollars selling it.  :)
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

TimberGhost

The peacefullness and the calming effect it has on me!! But usually if I am in the woods I have a gun and am in pursuit of game. So the other thing I like about the woods is the memories made and the companionship of whoever is hunting with me!!

~TG~
~TG~

Ron Scott

The woods provides my work area and has provided for my livelyhood and much of my recreation for the past 44 years.

~Ron

TimberGhost

Very nice Ron, I really like that!!  ;)

~TG~
~TG~

Coon

Now isn't that prayer the truth. :D ;D ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

farmerdoug

Mother Nature

She will in time forgive all transgressions and still provides for all, even the city folk who think food appears in the supermarket.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

OneWithWood

I derive my spiritual strength from the forest.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

maple flats

I relax in the woods. Every time I am working or playing in the woods I am constantly looking at the surroundings amd making plans on what it needs. TSI, firewood removal, leave it as it is, cut that limb, save an old dead one for nesting/ critter homes, clear out some tangle, and so on. This all might sound like it would tire me out but to the contrary, it gives me peace.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Medina

Once had a fella that told me I didn't know religion because I didn't go to church, I told him to try running a saw for 14 hrs. then at sunset shutting down and paying attention, now, THAT IS church.

sawguy21

Quote from: Medina on December 30, 2005, 06:40:49 PM
Once had a fella that told me I didn't know religion because I didn't go to church, I told him to try running a saw for 14 hrs. then at sunset shutting down and paying attention, now, THAT IS church.
Medina that is my feeling too. Whether being in the woods listening to the breeze and the life around me or sitting on a river bank with a fishing rod, I am at complete peace.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

farmerdoug

Why is that people think that God is only in a church?  He created the earth and everything else so I am sure He is wherever you are so you can talk to him at any time.  I am sure He enjoys nature as much as or more than we do.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Woodcarver

I came here prepared to say that I what I like about the woods is sustenance; it sustains me physically, mentally and spiritually.  The prayer Ron posted makes that statement far more eloquently than I could have.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

jon12345

Another thing about the woods I like is that it is BIG and usually no other people around to bug ya.  Yep, I like to be alone a lot of the time...which I believe is a pretty  common trait among the forestry type.  Oh yeah and the blackflies and mosquitos...I love donating my blood to nature, don't know how many lives I've saved by donating blood   :D :D :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

mometal77

I remember as a kid the forest always had this effect on me.  It still does.  Whether in winter,summer,fall.. the sun will peak out and you put your face up to the sun is like god touching your face with his hand..
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Flyboy

:) I feel, finally, home. Where time doesn't mean much.
I feel small, in comparision. I feel close, to creation. I feel near, to my God.
I feel free, to feel. I feel alive.
Whether walking in it, riding a skidder through it, or flyin over it.

I read somewhere: The true meaning of life is to plant shade trees under which you will never sit.
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

Thank You Sponsors!