iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cant hook handles

Started by highpockets, December 22, 2005, 08:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highpockets

Do any of you guys make cant hook handles?
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Captain

That's a question that I used to have too, until I met Kevin Bantle for breakfast one morning a couple of years ago.  Used to buy them by the pair from PV manufacturing.

Those days are gone.  I don't miss them  ;D

Captain

Ironwood

Captain, Sounds like youve got the BLUES, Look left Highpockets. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Radar67

Once you go blue, you'll never go back.  ;D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Bibbyman

Quote from: Radar67 on December 22, 2005, 09:04:23 PM
Once you go blue, you'll never go back.  ;D

I never went BLUE.  They just come around to my way of thinkin'  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Radar67

Quote from: Bibbyman on December 22, 2005, 09:13:39 PM
I never went BLUE.  They just come around to my way of thinkin'  ;)

Bibbyman, how many did you buy to get the special color? I only needed one.  :D :D :D :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Bibbyman

Quote from: Radar67 on December 22, 2005, 09:24:12 PM
Bibbyman, how many did you buy to get the special color? I only needed one.  :D :D :D :D

My first order was for three.  But they didn't last any too long.  Sold one before it hooked it's first log - then replaced it and passed another half dozen or so along to others that had to have one.

Now there is a place where I can get all the orange ones I want any time.  :D
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Quote from: highpockets on December 22, 2005, 08:28:53 PM
Do any of you guys make cant hook handles?

Don't waste your time with a new wood handle. Go LogRite, you will never look back. You wont believe the difference until you have it in your hands and then you wont believe the difference because frankly, the difference is unbelievable! :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Captain

Actually, I got the blues, a one-off Arky Length Peavey and my famous "silver one".  Just because Kevin likes me.

No more wood handle blues....
Captain

Don K

My mill came with a ORANGE one and I was quite amazed at how well it worked.  I've used a blue one too and it works just as good. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WH_Conley

Broke my last hook handle the other day, stopped at 2 Stihl dealers and asked about the aluminum cant hooks, reaction at both places was ???. I think they were both wondering what I had been drinkin.
Bill

mike_van

I'll still make one if I need it, my wood lathe will  take 4' long.  The last one I made was from an old piece of hickory, 3 or 4 years ago, I haven't broken it yet -  I'm sure the store bought ones are nice, but it's $75 - $100 I can spend somewhere else.  Also, i'm one who gets a lot of satisfaction from making their own "stuff" Be it handles for lathe tools, timber chisels, mallets, whatever -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

broker farmer

I can't answer your question about who makes wooden cant hook handles.  If you're looking for a new one then the LogRite cant hooks are definitely good ones.  I bought my used mill from Norwiscutter about a month ago.  He gave me a wooden cant hook along with the deal.  I promptly cracked it on about the third log I had on the mill.  I called Kevin at LogRite and asked him about their "wonder sticks".  I told him I was 6'1, 260 lbs, and not "much" fat on me and did he have one I couldn't break?  He said no one had ever broken one yet..............and in my mind I'm thinking "yeah right", but, I ordered a 60" one and a 30" one.  They arrived within just a couple days!  One was  BRIGHT ORANGE???, the other was a very pretty blue.  Well, ole Kevin told me these things were guaranteed for life right?  So I started moving and turning logs like I had gone mad cause there ain't nothin that I haven't broken if'in I just used it long enough right?  So I place this 22' 20inch at the small end Red Oak log on the mill and take off the first slab cut...........I reaches over and puts on my sunglasses and pick up the blindingly Orange cant hook and say "Ok big boy, here's your chance"!  I hook into this big ole feller and it was me against him......"somethin" was a gonna move!  Here I am hangin out here on the end of this 60" cant hook givin' it all I got.  That old log just sits there......payin no attention to me what so ever.  I drop down off the end of that cant hook and decides to get myself a new bite.  I sink into him again only this time my  grandson decides to help, so now we've got TWO idiots hanging out there on the end of this "orange" cant hook.  Well, the log won, but the real story is that neither of us had enough grunt to turn this log.  The best I can figure is we had about 375 lbs of "dumb" hangin out there on the end of this cant hook.  However, we didn't bend, break or even faze this LogRite cant hook.  I think I've met my match.

Bibbyman

If you couldn't move it with the 60"r,  then you need the Arky Special. ;D
Sawing since '94

broker farmer

Ah Man!!!  I gotta show this to the little wife!
Who are the guys in the picture?

pigman

Quote from: broker farmer on December 23, 2005, 09:18:05 AM

Who are the guys in the picture?
Since Bibbyman has gone, I think I know three of the people.
Bibbyman is on the left, arkansawyer in the red shirt, on right is muleman. Don't recognize the other person.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bibbyman

Quote from: pigman on December 23, 2005, 09:29:14 AM
Since Bibbyman has gone, I think I know three of the people.
Bibbyman is on the left, arkansawyer in the red shirt, on right is muleman. Don't recognize the other person.

You got Arky and Muleman...  But it ain't me.  So you got two more...
Sawing since '94

Jeff

I thought that guy looked a little to slim and athletic to be You Bib. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

broker farmer

That can't be Bibbyman...............he's not wearing anything orange!  I think that's a state road crew............1 guy working and 3 guys standing around.

pigman

Well, he did have bibs on. ::)   Those hats make it hard to see the faces. There is no excuse why I missed LBJ. :-[

Bibbyman

Sawing since '94

pigman

My apologies to RMay for calling him Bibbyman. :-[ I met RMay at Sawlex and still did not recognize him in the picture. As for Tom, the shadow kept me from seeing face. ;)

Ga_Boy

Broker Framer,

I got a couple 28"  16' White Oaks that I use my Monster Hook  (AKA, Arky Hook) on.  With that 72" handle it is a snap for my 5' 9", 165 lbs narrow a** to move them logs around and load them inside my Peterson frame.

You gotta love leverage.  My LogRite hooks are some of the best tools I have bought.   

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Thank You Sponsors!