iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar sawing

Started by metalspinner, December 22, 2005, 11:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Teenswinger, TN_man, and I celebrated the first day of winter by breaking down this poplar into 2x4's.  The day started out cold and stayed that way because we set up in the shade! :(

Here is my new peavy. Thanks, Kevin.  I need to make sure to clean it off before I rewrap it for the Christmas tree. ;D

Setting up...

two smaller logs at once...

The pile at the end of the day...

Once again, Teenswinger and Tn_man do a great job.  Thanks guy's!

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sandmar

what ya building clegaux? I been siding my barn with poplar,my advise would be nail 'er up while its green........gets purdy tough when it gets dry,or maybe I need to turn up the air on my nail gun  ::)

Sandmar

DonE911

I used a nailgun to put up poplar siding last year.....  it nailed great when green, but it split alot if I let is set around a day of two before nailing it up.  I hand nailed some of the dry stuff with no problem.... but why do it that way when you got a nailgun??

I like poplar framing lumber.....  we have lots of them up around here and they are nice and straight wih no limbs.... cuts real nice and dry fast.

metalspinner

Sannmar, 
This is the beginnings of a workshop.  It isn't near enough of what I need.  Now i'm worried about letting it sit around to long. 

DonE9111,
  When using the 2x4's as framing lumber did you experience the splitting as with face nailing siding?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Gipper

clegaux,
I saw a lot of poplar in this area, and use a lot of it myself.  I recently used some 2 x 6 poplar for rafters, for my mill shed, that had been drying for approximately two years.  No major problem with splitting and we used a nail gun where possible, and used the traditional hammer method on the others. 

One problem with putting up wet is the shrinking as it drys, which will sometimes cause splitting as well.  A year ago I used some wide boards for sheeting, wider than I normally saw and use for sheeting and the shrinkage has left some 1" to 1 and 1/4" cracks.  The boards were 16 and 18 inches wide.  Normally I don't like to use anything over 12 inches for sheeting.  It was for part of the shed that I was putting a vapor barrier and metal roofing on so the large cracks didn't hurt anything.  I have more drying now for an addition to my shop. 

A lot of people in this area use poplar.  I like working with it.  It takes stain and paint well.  I have a magazine rack made from poplar, stained with black walnut stain, and have had some comments on my black walnut magazine rack!  ;D

IL Bull

I used green poplar for the perlins and rafters on my saw shed.  I drilled and srewed them together.  The perlins shrunk and left the screw heads sticking out about 1/4 of an inch.  :-\  I just hate having to do stuff twice.
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

DonE911

Sorry I'm slow to answer your question.

No issues with the 2x stock for framing... no splitting .. the only problem is those perfect 2x's ( no knots, holes ect ) are hard to just cover over....   ;D  when you're use to looking at them box store 2x's (which you can't wait to cover with siding)

I have a few 6x6's of poplar I am saving for a pole barn project...  they have been outside in the weather ( not a drying shed ) and I have not had any warping or splitting problems... they do have end sealer the ends though.

Thank You Sponsors!