iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spruce of the Northeast, ID by pubescence.

Started by SwampDonkey, December 21, 2005, 04:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

black spruce with pubescence on the round topped ridges and in between them. Needles can appear dull, blue-green or grey green from a distance

red spruce with sparce pubescence in between round topped ridges. Needles are glossy or waxy and yellow green

white spruce, no pubescence. Needles are dull and dark green to blue-green

See thread on balsam fir
Link to Balsam
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PoginyHill

If I had access to needles and cones, I suppose I could tell the difference. Is there anything in the bark of mature spruce where I can tell white from red? With a snow-covered ground and only dead branches within reach, I don't have access to many of the characteristics.

I've read somewhere that older white spruce bark tends to form round plates that are loose on the surface and red tends to form elongated plates. Red is typically darker in color than white bark, but I think that can be deceiving and not a reliable indicator, especially when the trunk has access to sunlight.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

SwampDonkey

Here's bark of a mature white spruce the wind took down this fall.

Mature red spruce bark

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!