iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Novice chainsaw user needs help

Started by Green Valley Cat, December 21, 2005, 01:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Valley Cat

Hello all.

After the big ice storm here in North Carolina we have several medium and large trees and branches that have fallen on our property.

We bought a Poulan Pro 18 inch chain saw to cut them up but we are having problems.

At first the chainsaw cuts great but after we cut up one or two trees the chainsaw doesn't cut as well so we have gone and bought two chains.

It cuts great after we change the chain but then after 1 or 2 trees it fails to cut well.

1.  Is it normal for a chainsaw chain to go dull after 1 or 2 trees? Maybe we 
     just need to sharpen the chain.

2.  Is there a clear diagram anywhere that show you specifically how to
     sharpen a chainsaw chain and what part you are supposed to file? The
     diagram that is in our instruction book is not clear.

I'd appreciate any feedback you all might be able to provide me with.

Ianab

Hi Green

Quote.  Is it normal for a chainsaw chain to go dull after 1 or 2 trees? Maybe we 

Chain will get blunt VERY fast if you get it in the dirt while cutting, try and avoid that. Otherwise, yes it needs sharpening. A file / guide will let you touch it up in the field, with a bit of practise.
I'll see if I can find some better instructions online for ya.

Have a read of this.
http://www.stihllibrary.com/pdf/SharpAdvice061301final.pdf
It refers to Stihl saws, but the theory is the same for any saw.
I assume you have a file and sharpening quide? If not, thats what you need.

Alternatively you can take the chains to any saw shop and they will sharpen them for you. While you are learning to file it may be a good idea to do that after a few sharpens anyway. They will machine grind them back to the correct profile if your hand sharpening isn't quite perfect  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Cut4fun

Chris J

I don't have the link, but the Oregon site has a lot of useful information.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

beenthere

Quote.......At first the chainsaw cuts great but after we cut up one or two trees the chainsaw doesn't cut as well so we have gone and bought two chains.............
It cuts great after we change the chain but then after 1 or 2 trees it fails to cut well.
1.  Is it normal for a chainsaw chain to go dull after 1 or 2 trees? Maybe we 
..................I'd appreciate any feedback you all might be able to provide me with.

I'd also suspect the chain is getting in the dirt, either when finishing the cut or by contacting dirt in the bark of the log. Just momentarily touching the ground will quickly take the cutting edge off the teeth. When that happens, getting out the file and touching up the teeth is best.  I usually touch up the teeth after every tankful of fuel, just to keep a good edge. However, when cutting in snow, sometimes the ground is touched and the dulling effect on cutting wood is immediately seen. That is the time to quit sawing and file the teeth again.

With practice and experience, you will begin to notice ways to avoid the dirt as well as tricks to cut logs on the ground without having to touch the dirt. Sometimes experience takes its toll on the chains that you have.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rebocardo

I usually change chains after two to three hours if I think the chain is getting dull. Sometimes because the tree is hard (hickory or some oaks) the chain might not stay on for even an hour. It is quicker to change a chain then suffer with slow (and dangerous) cutting or overheating the bar with a dull chain.

Plus, it gives me an chance to flip the bar over, clean out udner the cover, and quickly clean the groove and oiling holes in the bar if they look blocked (less oil = hotter bar).

macpower

GVC
You need a lesson in chain filing!
You can kill a chain in less than one cut. Do you have a file and a guide? If not you need to get to a saw shop and get one for your size chain. Also any good shop will give you a quick lesson in how to use it. They also can grind your chain back to factory specs after you have filed it a few times, and dress your bar as needed.
One of the things to look out for is the size/type of chips the chain is throwing. If you start to see sawdust instead of chips, you are dull. Stop and touch it up, or switch to a sharp chain. If the chain starts to cut to one side, you need to get the cutter top plate angle set and the rakers set. Stop cutting or you will ruin your bar.
A dull chain is the most dangerous situation you can create with a chain saw! It will grab and it will kick!
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

jon12345

I have the same saw I think and also the same problem, and it is very touchy as far as tightening the chain as well.  One time the chain came off and almost got the boys  :-[
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Green Valley Cat

Thanks for all of your help

Yes my father was putting the chainsaw in the dirt. He was also cutting up old dead wood tree stumps.

I will go and get a proper file and guide.

The links are great. I really appreciate your help.

beenthere

Quote from: Green Valley Cat on December 22, 2005, 10:26:20 AM
.......Yes my father was putting the chainsaw in the dirt. He was also cutting up old dead wood tree stumps.........

Yup, very bad for sharp teeth. Now, if the problem persists, then your father needs to get assigned to the sharpening routine.. :)   One of a few reasons I am the only one who runs my saw.  At least you know now it isn't the saw and it isn't the chain that is at fault for not cutting well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

VA-Sawyer

I have always believed that folks will take better care of equipment, if they have to fix it themselves when it breaks.  It is even more true when they don't get paid for time spent repairing something they caused to fail.

thecfarm

I won't  let no one use my chainsaw.I can dull it fast enough without anybobys help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Yes, "assigning " a saw to the person using it as their "personal" saw will keep it running  and working without down time as will be experienced when a saw is allowed to be used by anyone at anytime.

I always painted and recorded the number on our saws and assigned each to a specific crew member to be responsible for. They soon became accountable and always had a "working saw".  ;) That became more productive than always having "down time" and a saw being worked on.
~Ron

Cut4fun

Get yourself about 5 good chains. Then find a shop that will sharpen them for you when they are beyond your hand file touch ups. Most shops get somewhere between $3-$5 a chain on a 2-3 day turnaround. Windsor chain is my choice of chain.  Alot say Carlton is good too. Oregon is my last choice.
But any SHARP chain will do. Good luck.

Kevin

Who's making Windsor chain these days?  8)

Cut4fun

Quote from: Kevin on December 22, 2005, 04:25:17 PM
Who's making Windsor chain these days?  8)
I havent a clue, but it works alot better for my homeowner duties. Cuts faster and stays sharper longer, so it seems. http://www.windsorforestry.com/products/saw_chain/sawchain.shtm

Cut4fun

I was refering to the Windsor Full chisel and Semi chisel chain. Not the safety kickback crap.

Thank You Sponsors!