iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 385xp? and repair ?

Started by 9shooter, December 19, 2005, 02:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

I've been whineing to the wife about needing a bigger saw and i think she's finally buying it 8). I've been wanting a big saw for the large trees I run into on occaision.  Also have an Alaskan style mill that I need a big saw for. I just hate cutting 4' dia. oak into firewood. Is the current model 385xp a good saw? I used to run a similar husky and liked it. I have a 262xp from a friend that has all 3 cover bolt holes stripped out and was wondering if any of you guys have fixed this problem?
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Kevin

385 should serve you well, for milling you might want a modified aftermarket muffler.
For stripped screw threads there is a threaded insert available.
You drill out the hole, thread it and screw in a threaded insert treated with loctite.
This insert is threaded on the inside as well to accept a new screw.

Heli coil ...
REPAIRING_DAMAGED_THREADS

etat

The ones I've used a couple of times to replace bad threads are Helicoil inserts.  The ones I bought came with a over sized tap to tap the hole out, screw in the insert, and then screw the bolt or screw back in.  If I remember correctly these should make a better than new repair for stripped out threads. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

etat

WOW Kevin you beat me to the draw!!!!!!!   :D :D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Kevin

Thanks for the name, I did a search and found it while you were posting.
Looks like we have all the bases covered here.  ;D

Greenskeeper

I have been running a Husky 385XP for about two years now,must have put at least 50 gallons of fuel through it and have not had any trouble at all.If you get in a jam try JB Weld in the stripped threads ,not as good as a Heli coil but it works.  ::)

9shooter

Thanks for the input, I know about heli-coil repairs -I've used them before. I just wondered if there was something else out there. I've never tried jb-weld aluminum.  Maybe the local saw dealer will have heli-coils in the correct thread size. The other problem with the 262 is that it starts a bit hard, and is very hard to start once it is warmed up. It does seem to run on the hot side. I was going to stick a carb kit in it after I get the cover problem fixed. I'm not certain that the starting problem isn't related to the loose cover and maybe a resulting air leak. The guy who had this saw left it in his barn with gas in it for 5-6 years. Maybe I should pull the muffler off and check it for carbon buildup?
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Rocky_J

9shooter-
Sounds like that 262 is on the verge of lean seize. I'd be checking that carb and seeing if I could richen it up a lil. And are you mixing your fuel at 40-1 or 50-1? I have never run 50-1 because it is just so close to the razor-edge bare minimum of oil to protect your saw as long as everything is perfect and it's not too hot outside. I've always run 40-1 and tuned my saws (adjusted the carbs) to run on that ratio.

Kevin

I've never had a carbon problem with my 262, you probably have a carb or fuel related problem.

dozerdan

Hi
I think that both Kevin and Rocky are pointing you in the right direction. If the saw sat for that many years, the diaphragms are hard in the carb and not pumping enough fuel. It will run lean and also make it hard to start.
Before you spend money on a carb kit, pull the muffler and look at the piston for signs of a lean seizure.
The side cover screws can be replace with the factory screws for your top handle. They are a little larger then the original side cover screws. The top handle screws have very coarse threads and they will act like a self tapping screw.. Your local dealer should have plenty of Husky parts saws laying around for you to get some screws out of. They still use the screw on the 372, 385, 346, 359  and many many more.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

Grande Dog

These inserts work well. The one you need for those top cover screws isn't listed on this sheet but, the part number is 503 27 38 01. Prices run from $3.00 - $7.00 ea.

Quartlow

Heli coils are the greatest thing since peanut butter  ;D  ;D Once seated in a piece of aluminum you have threads that will last a lifetime!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Thank You Sponsors!