iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Older Peterson Chainsaw powered swingblade ?????

Started by GlennG, December 18, 2005, 06:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlennG

I`m interested in a Peterson mill . The mill I`m most interested in is an older design that is powered by a chainsaw powerhead. In the Peterson video it looked like its powered by a Stihl 066, 064 or maybe a 056. 

I operate a small part time tree service and this type of mill makes a lot of sense for me because it is very small and light. I could use it to take large trees apart in backyards and such. My question is , is this little mill still available?

GlennG

Ianab

I've got a chainsaw powered Peterson, it's good but a bit underpowered when you start doing 8" cuts.
And thats with a Stihl 090 (135cc)
Peterson don't make them any more though.
I suspect that the cost of a small 4 stroke / gearbox didn't add a lot of $$ to the overall price of the complete mill, and you really want more than 8hp anyway.

The ATS mill is almost as portable anyway.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

I am a chainsaw nut, not a sawyer, and am a little confused about some of the terminology on this forum. I have seen a horizontal band mill in action but what is a swingblade? Is it a moving circular head with a fixed bed? I have been in mills where the log is run on a moving carriage  through a bank of circular blades, I believe this is called a gang mill but not sure.
Some of you run circular mills, some bandmills. Is one a particular advantage over the other?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

GlennG

Ianab,

Thanks for the info. I probably will purchase the basic ATS mill.

While your mill makes you wish for a bit more power, how does it compare to Milling with a chainsaw ripping attatchment? I`ve milled quite a bit with an 066 and Granberg Alaskan III. Thats a lot of work but   the mill is light and takes little room in my truck when I have to transport the rest of the required stuff for my operation.

Glenn Gertz

GlennG

sawguy21

Thanks for the help. I never thought of clicking on the sponsors ::) Those machines are a lot faster than the bandmills I have seen and involve a lot less handling. Again thanks to you and the sponsors for such great websites.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

QuoteWhile your mill makes you wish for a bit more power, how does it compare to Milling with a chainsaw ripping attatchment?

Heaps faster then milling with a conventional chainsaw mill, plus you dont have to move the log / edge the slabs etc. Cutting 4x2s out of a nice clean log, it works well. Cutting 8x2s out of a knotty log is a bit slow.( I usually make 2 x 4" deep runs)
It's just a new ATS would cut twice as fast  ;)

Sawguy.
Each type of mill has different plus and minus things. The swingblades are very portable, handle BIG logs easily, produce dimension lumber right off the mill and are relatively cheap. The do have a wider kerf than a bandmill (more sawdust) and can't cut really wide boards.  On smaller logs they dont have a clear advantage over a bandmill. But when you need to be portable and handle logs over 3' dia then it's a swingblade every time  :)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!