iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My woodshop ! Come on in everyone ! Pull up a chair !

Started by UNCLEBUCK, December 17, 2005, 07:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

I put up a new sign on my woodshop door today . Before you enter you will see the steambox on the left ,smokehouse on the right , why come on in everyone and see what I do everyday and dont forget to wipe your feet  :D Now I would love to take a tour of your woodshop too so by all means show pictures of it and tell about it , dont be shy . I got squirrels living in the upstairs of my mess . My dust collection is to open the door and plug in the air hose !
smiley_wavy

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Fla._Deadheader

Funny lookin cheese slicer  8) ;D :D

Did you say you make 1200 of them per year, or, am I mistaken, again ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

UNCLEBUCK

Oh and please watch out for snowsnakes as I dont want anyone getting hurt ! Welcome to Minnesota !  8)

Part_Timer

What is it ya making??

I've decided that this winter I'm redoing all the cabinets in mine and going to make it livable.  Yah right.
With Kate working out there now we have to do something.  Just not enough rhime or reason for two.
   I'll get some pictures in the morning but ya got to promise not to laugh.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

D._Frederick

Thats a pretty good size airplane wing, are you planning to fly away?

UNCLEBUCK

Oh I would never laugh at anyones shop except mine  :D. It is small but I am starting to like it more as the uglier it gets . I practice space management  :D meaning everything is on wheels and gets shoved wherever . Yep Harold I was 1200 total wing ribs in 6 years but this makes it 1225 and on New Years day I will be at 1250 and then I go ice fishing the whole month of January . Its my winter work I guess. Some people cut firewood , my neighbor has a loom and makes some kind of rugs during the winter . Alot of Minnesotans just live in their woodshops during the winter for fear of snowsnakes . This is a good year for them as there has been alot of snow  :o

Fla._Deadheader

They for private customers or manufacturers ??  Hope ya have more room than yer showin  ;) ;D ;D  Good lookin ribs.  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

Quote from: Part_Timer on December 17, 2005, 07:48:48 PM
I've decided that this winter I'm redoing all the cabinets in mine and going to make it livable.  Yah right.
With Kate working out there now we have to do something.  Just not enough rhime or reason for two.
   I'll get some pictures in the morning but ya got to promise not to laugh.
We promise (as we know better, I think) not to laugh at 'Miss-Moose-workin-out' pics. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodbowl

Uncle Buck, that sure is a fine lookin' shop! If I had one like that it would be called my Pout house, whinning room or sugar shack. Looks like you've got a lot of room too. If you go into my shop, you'll be backing out cause you shore can't turn around in there. .... What about those 1200 ribs?? ?? ?? What did you do with them?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

UNCLEBUCK

Its 24x28 in size so it gets crowded no doubt . I put each one in a cardboard box and sell to internet catalogs and elsewhere . I dont know how to link in the catalog but thats ok . woodbowl has gotten me thinkin about flying airplanes again but I think all the neighbors would sign a petition saying "please not again"  :D  I guess it makes me feel good just to build a part of a airplane but I am not a licensed aircraft mechanic but these things go on the wall for display anyway . I wanted to show my new sign for norwegians , is it too bold ? :D

VA-Sawyer

It reminds me of the sign in McDonalds that says " Menu available in braille for the blind"   :D  :D :D

I know that I'm going to get pounded for that, but I just couldn't help myself. :)

Paschale

Hey Uncle Buck,

Looks good!   8)  All you need in there is some Christmas tunes playing on the CD player...   ;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

asy

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on December 17, 2005, 09:44:27 PM
I wanted to show my new sign for norwegians , is it too bold ? :D

Does this mean if'n I come visit I can't park near the shop??

I wouldn't like to park too far away coz I"m afraid of snow snakes...  :(

ALso, there's a whole mess of snow there!!!

It was 40C here today...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

shopteacher

Wow!  How big is the smoker for them ribs?  You should come to Pittsburgh.  We have a big rib shin dig every year, but I never seen none of them ribs that would compare to yours (they do look a little skimpy on the meat though). :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

oldsaw

You know, if the snow got too deep, you could probably make some pretty servicable snowshoes out of them.... :D...just thinkin', on Minnesota boy to another.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Skytramp

Hey Uncle buck, Those wouldn't be a modified Y would they?

No way on earth I'm going  to show pics of my shop or shops, My wife says everytime I get one full I build another one.
     I have one that has the posts set for 2 4X8  work benches 2 ft apart end to end, got grade shot on them, plan to build a couple of wings  there someday,
Skytramp;
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

sprucebunny

WOW, UncleBuck  8) Look at all the space you have in there ;D

Yesterday, I was going to take a picture of my shop for this thread but when I opened the garage door and looked in like a picture would look, you couldn't see the 20 foot boat that's in there  :o ...... Behind the ping-pong table and under the sail bags and fiberglass and.......

Guess it's time to pick up a little :D    ::)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sawguy21

My boat is visible. Just. Gotta get my buddy the gas fitter to install the heater  so I can work in there.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Burlkraft

I'm 3/4 Swiss and 1/4 Norwegian....My grandpa was 100% Swiss the Norwegian came from my grandma. He told me never to tell anyone about the Norwegian :o :o :o :o
Why not just 1 pain free day?

UNCLEBUCK

What no messy shop pictures  :D . I definately understand about the boats and ping pong tables in the way . Sometime I take the camera with and get bored and snap some real life to share with everyone .My woodshop became the packaging and shipping department sunday,there is shredded paper everywhere now. Nothing fancy about me.I have a pot belly woodstove for the main heat except when I spray varnish but now I have a problem and that is the woodsmoke can be seen coming out of my shop and its like a beacon for the mini-van full of Jehova witness grandmas that go by everyday. They dont even knock anymore ,they just walk in and start trying to save me while I try to hide all my copenhagen boxes before they get ahold of them. It always seems they show up all serious the sky is falling and by the time they leave they are all laughing and smiling .This last week I wished them all a Merry Christmas and oh boy the fun we had . Well I wish everyone a Merry Christmas ! Yours truly ! U.B.  ;D

woodbowl

:D :D Merry Christmas U.B. .............. Merry Christmas to all!  8)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Corley5

One of my hay customers is an older gal and she's a JW.  She's been buying hay from us for years.  I usually fill up her little barn with 120 bales the middle of Sept and that lasts her the winter.  One year she ran out before the pasture came on and I was outta hay so the next year she had me top it off in Dec.  As I was geting ready to leave with check in hand I wished her a Merry Christmas :D  Boy did I get a funny look ;) but she wished me a good winter and we went on our merry ways.  As I was pulling out of her driveway it hit me.  She's a Witness ::) 8) :) :) :D ;)  I get a chuckle out of that ever time I think about it now included. 8)  She stills buy hay from me ;D ;D

8) 8) Shop UncleBuck
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Part_Timer

Well UncleBuck I said I get a picture so here it is :-[  :-[

Don't laugh to hard

What a disaster :o  ran out of battery or you'd have seen the mess on the other side.  It's not as bad as that is where Kate's lathe is.  Our shop is only 11x17. 

Now that I'm publicaly embarrased I'm going to try and rearange things and take an after picture.  You just need to give me a couple of weeks.  It's a real mess and a big job

Merry Christmas
Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

UNCLEBUCK

You have a great shop P.T. , you even got nice new doors ! My door was a throw away from some university 25 years ago . Now you have to get some projects going .  My shop is over 30 years old ,shingles are original and still shed rain even after 2 fires . I see you have a nice drill press . I remember the day I finally got a drill press , I use it as a drum sander too with one of those 2 dollar drums that slip in the chuck. Thanks for the picture . I always put a picture on when I need motivation and it seems to help stay interested .  :D

katie-did

Hey Unclebuck that is MY drill press. He only get to use it from time to time!  ;D
The shop normally looks better then that but I have been to busy to clean it. He make the mess I clean it up. That is the way it is suppose to work right or do I just have him spoiled?????? :-\
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

pigman

Remembered to take my cameria to the pig sty wood shop this morning. After a little cleaning took these pictures.

The first two pictures are of the converted farrowing house that I use for a wood shop. The last picture is of an attached pig nursery that I use for a finishing room. The furniture in the room is what I am woorking on for my eldest daughter. All I lack is putting on the hardware that I forgot to order. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Buzz-sawyer

So BOB you not only destroy and blow things up.......BUT make NICE things too!!! ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

OneWithWood

Very nice set up and way to clean for a Pigman!  What are you using for a dust collection system?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

pigman

Quote from: OneWithWood on December 30, 2005, 01:48:33 PM
What are you using for a dust collection system?
A three hp system I got from Woodmaster when I bought the 25in planer. The dustbag cut the suction down too much so I just blow the dust outside.  I hope the neighbors don't mind. ::)
I forgot to put a space between the pictures. I usually just forget to paste the pictures.

Don_Papenburg

I thought that you would just let it drop dowm the slatted floors ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

jgoodhart

Wow  8) Pigman that is a roomey shop ya got and finishing room to boot. Must be great to move funiture into a clean area to apply the finish.

pasbuild

Unlike Pigman I didn't clean before I took the pics of my shop so you will have to look around and under the STUFF to see some of the equipment

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

bitternut

Boy am I glad to see that I am not the only one that uses the "table saw table" for a table. Pigman you have way too much room in your shop. I'm jealous since I am stuck in the basement. Nice project you got going there too.

ohsoloco

I always have to clean off my table saw before I use it.  The radial arm saw table is always covered too.  I'll hafta see if I can get any good pictures of my shop, the lighting is horrible down there  :(

beenthere

I didn't clean either, and am in fact in the process of a plumbing project so most tools are rolled out in the middle of an already small shop in one corner of the downstairs. Just for kicks, will post some pics.

router table on the left, folded against the wall.

radial arm saw in the back, radial drill press behind it, and workbench on the right.

long arm jig saw and belt sander, buried workbench in the background.

corner of bolts and nuts and things.......

Lathe and table saw, with 6" jointer and shop vac behind these.

"next week" is when I plan to organize the shop and try to finish some of the many projects underway there. But outside projects and the FF seem to take precedence when push comes to shove. Always will be something to do. And if I need a tool, I 'move' what needs to be moved, and have at it.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pasbuild

Thanks for posting the pics beenthere, I showed my wife in hopes that she would lighten up on me a little bit smiley_mellow smiley_really_happy

ely

some of you i am jealous of, others i feel your pain. could we start a support group here. i am in the club that builds a shop and its full before i finnish the work on it. have actually stood on STUFF while screwing tin down.

shopteacher

Wow, how you guys keep your shop so neat and clean.  I'd post a picture of mine, but their ain't room for the camera to get far enough into the shop to get one.

Part_Timer

I like the idea of a support group but it would have to be at Pigman's/pasbuild's shop.  It is the only one with enough room for all of the rest of us . :) :) :)
Peterson 8" ATS.

pigman

I need to join a support group. :'( I am a toolaholic and Larry, a member of this forum, was bad, real bad. He sent me a picture of a new router he just got. That is like giving an alcoholic a drink. :(   I already have three routers and now he has me wanting  another one. ::) If I buy another router he will have to explain the purchase to my boss. ;)
Just to show you that he new what he was doing this is what he wrote  "Just one tool addict to another  thought ya might like the look see."   

Larry

Bob, I would never try to corrupt or encourage bad habits. ;D  I was just trying to keep you informed of the latest, state of the art tool developments. :D

Ain't she cute boys? 8)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Don_Papenburg

Hey Bob , you only have three routers? how can you get anything done changing bits all the time . You need to buy at least one more  but thpreferred would be two more. ;D

Norm

I had to move out my shop to turn it into our office. This winter I've been making another section of the Morton shed into a workshop, first furring it out putting in dry wall electric insulation and so forth. Finally to the point I can move some of our tools back in. Need to get the rest of our stuff in but we've been making good progress, going to try to get the woodburner hooked up this weekend. Nice to have a shop again. :)

I know Bob's in tool therapy and all and that he shouldn't probably see this but....here's Pattys new jointer. ;D

It's got that new spiral cutter head in it.

pasbuild

I have one suggestion for ya Norm, I think you should inlarge your pics, laminate them and frame them on the shop wall so you will always be able to see your shop floor ;)

pigman

And people said I had a large shop. :o     Norm said "I know Bob's in tool therapy and all and that he shouldn't probably see this but....here's Pattys new jointer."  
Too late Norm I have already seen it. :'(
I have a good 8" jointer, but it doesn't have the spiral cutterhead. :(
Now I am going to have to build me a bigger shop. ;) I am considering moving into an old tobacco barn that is 66ft X 35ft. Need more room for more tools; can never have enough tools. ;D  
I was doing good on my tool therapy until Larry sent me a picture of his new router, then I received the big new Grizzy catalog and two other tool catalogs. I give up. I am going to buy more tools. 8)

Part_Timer

Norm   

WOW.  That's a dream shop.

I think I'd get lost in there and with any luck they'd never find me.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

shopteacher

you and Patty ought to be able to produce some really nice projects in a shop like that.

sawguy21

DanG Norm, you got everybody, including me, salivating. Part_Timer ain't the only one that could get happily lost in there.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ScottAR

Norm, very nice!

Larry, do you have all the other optional bases for laminate work?  I seem to be rebuilding counters for every rental we remodel lately... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

UNCLEBUCK

Beenthere,Pigman, Pasbuild, Norm and Patty ,Larry and  everyone ! Ya"ll got some serious woodshops and quite the collection of tools and machines . I have been practicing space management for 6 years and its a pleasure to look at all your layouts . I was hoping everyone would flip a picture in here sooner or later and thanks and hope more do the same . Its a real goal of mine to move up to just a little more space in the near future by using sawmill leftovers . Dust collection is going to be a must from now on , I get a cough even with a good mask on now because I have a beard . I dont want my lungs to take the brunt of my failure to protect them . Well I suppose I forgetting someone or something but my sister and her hubby converted their hog barn too and it really works out great for them just like Pigman , Pasbuild and Larry you guys do some awesome stuff . I thought showing my scrap pile of a woodshop would make everyone feel great  :D but no offense to anyone at all but I am giving woodshop of the month award to Norm & Patty and Patty wins again with tool of the month award for that beautiful Grizzly jointer .  :)  The new Grizzly catalog came today so I better have peek ! I do like pigmans idea of moving into a tobacco barn , oh I bet that would smell so good that yummy yummy juicy tobacco  :D

Don_Papenburg

Norm , Has Patty let you use that new jointer yet?  If it works as good as my buddies General you will realy like it .  Soother and quieter and easier to run the wood through it.
Nice shop .  I finaly got concrete poured in mine this year . now I have to insulate.

Norm

No she hasn't Don, I just got it put together and wired up to the wall this week. I need to wire in the breaker to the box and then we can give it a test run. This is the first grizzly tool I've ever seen, it is built real well.

It's been real nice to see everybody elses shops, gives me hope to have all of the tools and stuff the rest of you folks have. We're just rank amatuers on woodworking so it's a big help to she all of the things that you experienced guys and gals have in your shops. Great thread UB thanks for starting it. :)

ElectricAl

Here are some shots from 2003. The shop was not quite done yet.

Oneida Filter

Lots of pipe

Oneida 2HP Cyclone

We have been thinking about upgrading to an 8" or 12" Sprial Head Jointer.
Norm we'll need a report ;)
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Faron

Anyone using in floor heat in the shop?  We are about to start on the new sawmill building to replace the one that collapsed last year.  Going to have a 48 X 40 woodshop on one end.  I was thinking of putting in floor hot water heat in it.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

ElectricAl

Faron,

We have floor heat under our sawmill, and it's great 8)

The biggest problem is we cannot bolt the sawmill down. But that really has not even been a big issue.

One mistake I made was putting the manifold on the end wall along with the breaker box.  Now we cannot expand, well we could for the right price :-X
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Faron

ElectricAl, I've been told the in-floor heat makes it a lot easier on feet and legs. True???
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Don_Papenburg

I'll answer that with a BIG YEP  can't beat warm feet.

Put you tubes at 6" centers and nomore than 8" and at the bottom of the pour , over 25PSI extruded foam .   With the tubes closer you don't need as hot of water and you don't get heat "striping" . That way the concrete is all the same temp.

Norm

Looks good Al, my next major project is to run ductwork for a dust collection system. I'm going to mount the blower on the other side of the wall and shoot it outside in to an old grain wagon.

Next big purchase is a new table saw, I've been drooling for a powermatic model 66 with a router lift for too long. The model 64 has been a good saw but now that I've got a permanent shop I want a real saw. Lets see valentines day is not too far off, maybe I'll surprise Patty with one. ;D

ElectricAl

Norm, 

Your secret  gift for Patty is safe with us on the FF  ;)

Are you sure you want to blow all your heat into a wagon :o?

You can get some pretty nice filters and cyclones

www.oneida-air.com/products/filters/main.htm

Don_Papenburg

I have a buddy in the UP that has a woodshop with some serious dust collection and it all goes outside .  I was there in January once  we worked in that wood heated shop and never once noticed the heat leaving with the collectors running. There was no dust inside though Convinced me to put in dust collection .

Don_Papenburg

Hey Norm , Can you still get those orange IOWA freeze proof yard hydants ? I always liked them better than the junk that is sold around here now. I think they were made by woodhill MFGing. somepalce in Iowa.

Norm

You still see them at some of the better farm supply stores but are not that common. Darn things last forever though, have one on my well head that I had to adjust not too long ago, must be twenty years old and still works great.

LINK

Don_Papenburg

We have some at my dads farm that are better than fifty years old now .  They quit selling them around here about 25years ago .  Just thought that they were out of bizz but thought I would ask .  I would like to get some for my farm.

Thank You Sponsors!