iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skip chain

Started by aom, December 17, 2005, 02:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aom

In the past we have used standard chipper type chains, sharpened with a round file. I realise in the pacific northwest they regularly use skip or semi skip toothed chains, especially on longer guide bars. So how much faster does it cut? compared to normal chain. Likewise how effective is skip / semi skip toothed chain on hardwood. Please note this chain is for normal forest use on guide bars 24" and up, not for milling or ripping.
Over the past few years we have stuck to using stihl or oregon chain, we have found that many other brands tend to break before we get the full life out of the cutters.
So how does Baileys own branded chain compare with oregon or stihl chain, both standard and skip.

Aom

rebocardo

Using my Husky 365 with a 28" bar, I really like the 30RCS from Baileys for its value. I tried other true full skip too. Only problem with full skip is if you lose a full tooth from a nail or lag it pretty much wrecks the cutting (grabs too much) and makes it a stump cutting chain.

I have been pretty happy with the way it cuts buried in white oak compared to the various other things I have tried including full comp Oregon 72v, DP72, and the Stihl full comp yellow chain (whatever number my dealer sells).

Striker

I put a loop of Bailey's30SCS ( yep, that's semi chisel ) on the 372 last week.
That is some nice cutting chain.

Jeff

Rocky_J

The skip and semi-skip allow the user to run a longer bar on a saw without as much loss of power or chain speed. For example, running a 32" bar on a 372 you would likely need skip chain in order to keep the chain speed up and keep the saw revving in the powerband while in the cut. Too many cutter teeth all grabbing at the same time will pull a saw motor down out of it's powerband and then you gotta feather it real gently into the cut to keep from bogging it down.

If there is adequate power to pull it then full chisel will always cut faster than semi-skip or skip. So therefore the answer to AOM's question will depend on the power of the saw being used.

fishhuntcutwood

Rocky's last paragraph says it all.  The full comp will cut faster, provided the saw can pull it.  But skip comes into it's own on long bars due to chip clearance, which is necessary, and not just a nicety.

Bailey's sells Calton as their own, I believe.  Stihl is a harder chain than either Oregon or Carlton.  It'll hold an edge better, but some think it's harder to sharpen.  I use Stihl.

Where's Russ in all of this?  ;D

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

aom

Thanks all for your comments,
currently we run Husky 372's with 18" guidebars and sometimes with a 24"bar
and stihl 084's with 30", 36",42" and50" guide bars.
Up until now we have been using full chain for all, both oregan and stihl. We find that the stihl lasts longer, but it is more expensive, so there isnt to  much between the two brands.
As you can imagine handling a 084 all day with 30"bar is no fun? so were toying with the idea of either getting dolmar 7900 or husky385 to run 24-30"bars with possibly skip chain especially as we anticipate that we will be cutting more western red cedar and redwood.
But those of you that run skip chain, how does it work on hardwoods, and as we regularly bore out the hearts of the more valuable trees, how does skip tooth chain work when using the guide bar nose for such bore cuts, does it kick back more etc.
aom

Ianab

I've just got a 7900 with 28" bar / full chisel chain.  It cuts very well. I dont think using skip chain would be an advantage with that size bar. Maybe with a longer bar it would be a better option.

If you are used to lugging an 084 around all day your arms will thank you if you get the Dolmar, it's not much heavier than the 372 but has a lot more power.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Larry

I'm running a Husky 272XP with a 24" bar mostly.  The only way I cut hardwood is with a boring cut.  Running Oregon 72CK (semi-skip square) and really like it for felling.  Seems much faster than 72LG and I'm not getting any vibration out of it.  I don't think there is any more kickback potential than other pro chains.  Don't like it at all for bucking as it dulls to fast (in the dirt) and harder to sharpen so I switch saws. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

rebocardo

I run a Husky 365, 28" bar, with 30 RCS, and it does fine in hardwoods. I have only tried plunge cutting a few times with it (too scared of kickback) and it did fine.  I use it a lot when doing undercuts when bucking large logs, no problems. It cuts fast enough in hardwoods to avoid binding in the kerf.

I usually do not do softwoods like cedar and pine, but, when I do the full skip really tears though it and the chips fly allowing you to cut faster. Seems to cut faster then the 20" full comp safety (72v etc.) in the same wood.

My thing is lining up the plunge cut from both sides of the tree. Nothing like making a dutchman in 30+ inches of oak ... guess I need more practice.

Striker

I use full skip on 24 and 36 inch bars. I use it on soft and hardwood. I bore cut through it all. I buck and limb with it. I haven't noticed any increase in kickback with it. Skip chain works in my situation on just about everything from pine to osage orange.

Jeff

SawTroll

I do not find Stihl chain any harder to sharpen than Oregon for normal maintenanse, but you  have to be extra careful the first time you put a file to a new chain.
The stay-sharp seem better on the Stihl chain, but at least in theory it is impossible to get it quite as sharp, due to the thicker chrome.

I prefer Stihl when I have a choise. 8)
Information collector.

SawTroll

I do not find Stihl chain any harder to sharpen than Oregon for normal maintenanse, but you have to be extra careful the first time you put a file to a new chain.
The stay-sharp seem better on the Stihl chain, but at least in theory it is impossible to get it quite as sharp, due to the thicker chrome.

I prefer Stihl when I have a choise, but it is no big deal to me. 8)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!