iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makita-DOLMAR saws

Started by aom, December 17, 2005, 02:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aom

Any dolmar saw users out there, currently we use stihl large saws[084], and husky mid range [372] saws, in the past we were happy with both brands. But we have been hearing good comments about the dolmar saws, so we are thinking of buying a dolmar[65-80cc] saw, but how reliable are they, and what are the comments of current dolmar users.

aom

Cut4fun

This guy can anwser anything about Dolmar. Very truthful and honest too.
Miller's Saw Shop
Dolmar OPE sales/service
Windsor/GB/Carlton Cutting Systems
Firewood sales/Custom cutting
tmiller@tm.net
dolmarsaws@hotmail.com
269-838-5914

macpower

I've got a few in the woods still, even though I dropped the dealership. The complaints I get are that the oilier leaks a bit more, and the air cleaner is too small, and a couple of guys thought the aluminum in the handle was a bit soft, wouldn't support the weight of the skidder.
No complaints on performance or overall quality. I have had to replace a few Zama's with worn out blocks,( by the choke shaft hole), a jug or two due to fuel mix problems, a lot of fuel lines,(new and old PN's), and the usual mounts.
The Dolmars will feel a bit different in the hand if you have been running Stihl, Husky, or JReds.
The power to weight on the 7900 is as good as it gets, as is the anti vibe. You may have to do a few more mounts though. The 7300 is a good match to a MS440, 372, 2171. The 6400 is a tough saw, seems to run like a tweaked 2165 JRed.
I wouldn't give up a good Stihl, Husky or JRed for one, but if I was replacing a saw and thought I could get good support, I would sure look into them.
Oh, I have a 9010 out on a mill, and one with an arborist as a stump saw with a 42" on it. No complaints except they should have come with wheels and a trailer hitch.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

johncinquo

"the handle was a bit soft, wouldn't support the weight of the skidder."  :D :D :D
Thats the best one I have heard in awhile. 

I love my makitas/dolmars.  52, 54, 64, and 9010.  After a lil tinkering they all kick butt.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Ianab

Hope they are good, I'm going to pick my new 7900 up in a few minutes  ;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

aom

Ianab,
seen the photo of your new saw, in the Uk, the dolmar is blue not orange, and marketed as makita.

Another point mentioned by some is that the air filter seems to be a bit small? does anybody know of any separate larger air filters in the market, like those available for stihl[maxflow?]

Likewise with the 7900, it seems to be of a similar component build up as some smaller models, but basically different bore size, so does this mean that it is weaker than the smaller saws.

What reputation do dolmar engines have?, are they slogging engines capable of slogging it in hard woods and large cuts, or are they faster engines more suitable for softwood.

Are they made using self tapping scews, fixed into plastic etc

aom

Chris J

Aom, you've probably seen it, but I bumped up a previous thread about Dolmar saws.  There are some very detailed Dolmar discussions mentioned.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Ianab

Well I've put a few tanks of gas thru the Dolmar now... And I LIKE  it  :)

Pulls the 27" bar buried in walnut OK, and the engine seems to have plenty of torque. If it does begin to bog down and loose revs it can still keep cutting, where a smaller saw would stall out as soon as you drop out of the power band.
It's a little heavier than the ms310 I'm used to, and the longer bar changes the balance and takes a bit of getting used to, but overall I'm very happy with it  8)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bernhard

The problem I see at the Dolmars is the different Quality in the same range. I.E we had a 114si at the VFD (replaced by a Stihl 044, now ;D) and it was the biggest piece of Junk I ever worked with. Bought the same type used for reselling it, it rans fine and worked well. The same happend with several 109. I don´t know, how the Quality is now, as they are part of Makita.
Also they have a poor dealer network in Germany, especially around here, where we have a lot of forests. You´ll find more Husky dealers then such of Dolmar or Solo. Ok...Stihl has the best network around here.
had a look at the new Makita/Dolmar on Cologne Garden Fair last Year, when the introduced the lightweight tophandle, this one seemed to be nice.
But as I´m very satisfied with Stihl and the reason, the Husky dealer is a Goofy I don´t see a reason to chage the brand.
BTW:If my neighbour would be a Dolmar Dealer, I think they would be worth a look.

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

SawTroll

It is old news,
but such news need to be repeated from time to time .... ;)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!