iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LC strap

Started by brdmkr, December 16, 2005, 08:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

The building inspector said I needed to show an LC strap on my building plans.  Is that a diagonal piece of metal strap that connects corners to the base plate and makes the corner rigid?  If so, what does LC stand for?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

getoverit

I'm not sure of the "LC", but here in Florida all houses have to have a strap that is anchored into the foundation, and then extends through the top cap of the outside walls. The roof trusses are then anchored to the top cap with hurricane clips on each truss.

The term probably has something to do with wind load capturing, but its just a guess.

I did some research on georgia building codes, and I think that "LC" refers to "Lift Capacity" and is talking about a strap as described here:

A strap with an uplift capacity of not less than 1000 pounds (454 kg) shall fasten the header to the side of the inner studs opposite the sheathing. Two anchor bolts shall be installed in accordance with Section R403.1.6, and plate washers shall be a minimum of 2 inches by 2 inches by 3/16 inches (51 mm by 51 mm by 4.77 mm) thick and shall be used on each bolt.

Hope this helps!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

brdmkr

Thanks much!

Would you mind sharing where you did the search on GA building codes?  A site with codes would be of great help.  All I get when I do a search are offers to sell me code bode books.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Thank You Sponsors!