iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WHAT SOCKS ARE YOU WEARING!!???

Started by Ironwood, December 16, 2005, 06:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Well this may seem bizzare, but I have spent years working in the feild as a Wilderness Insructor for troubled youth and while out there found a great understanding for GOOD socks. I no longer work at that job but have continued to buy GOOD quality socks. I and probably most of you spent your day on your feet and this is important stuff. The good ones are 15-20 bucks :o But are worth it to me.  Thorlo (my old favorite) seems to have gone off shore and quality has dropped, Smartwool, quality has dropped. Patagonia ($20) are great but the top elastic is only a small band and it is tough over large calves. The bottom padding on the Patagonia is top notch, the elastic is a nusience, but right know seem to be my best option. ANYONE got a good one for me?

CRAZY MAN STANDING IN NEED OF SOCKS, Reid ::)
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

crtreedude

My solution - live where you don't need em...  ::)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ironwood

I was stationed in Hawaii, that is a good strategy. I use them due to their padding factor. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Roxie

Say when

woodmills1

Red Wing wool socks.    Keep the feet dry.  Ad a little gold bond powder once in awhile and you will never have the "stinky feet". :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ksu_chainsaw

I like the XStatic socks that I get on post.  They don't have very thick padding, but they wick the sweat away from my feet.  I get them on post, but not sure where else you can get them.

Charles

moosehunter

Just was given a pair of "DARN TOUGH" socks. About 20 buckaroos. I like them. Wool. Comfey. Too warm to wear inside.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

sprucebunny

I'm always on a sock quest, too. Hate the ones that work thier way down and attack my toes ;D

I bought some recently..... I think they said "Field and Stream " on them.

Sure wish the good ones were labeled better so if they last one could find more.

When my feet really hurt a couple of years ago, I even went so far as to buy socks that were left and right ::)

Have some Remington socks that seem good but they are too big and and slide down . Got them at wallyworld.

We even have a store here that sells nothing but socks. It always reminds me of a skit with Gilda Radner about the scotch tape store :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

OneWithWood

The quest for good socks is never ending.

Many years ago I purchased some socks and insulated underwear from Damart.  I think they are referred to as 'Thermalactic' or something like that.  I refer to them as my Teradactyl stuff  :D
Anyway, the double weight socks continue to be the best and most used socks in the winter.  Loads of cushion, keep my toes warm and dry, and they do the best job of staying up on my calves.  After about 20 years it is probably time to get a few more pair.  Did I mention they wear well and last a long time?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Deadwood

I go to LL Bean and get their 85% wool socks for about 8 bucks. They last for quite awhile and I have found that wearing only one pair is actually warmer than wearing two pairs. Don't ask me why, because I cannot explain it. Because I work for the railroad and snowmobile, I'm outside every day no matter what the weather, and here in Maine, it can get quite cold.

asy

I found some magnificent socks recently...

They are wool, with a cotton flocked liner.

They are soft and Spongey and comfy and stay dry with the cotton inner.

Also, they don't squoosh down in your shoes (yes that's a word!! hehe)

I wear steel toed work boots on the job, and these socks are the greatest.

I only found them recently, so I can't attest to their longevity, sorry.

I bought them in an Army Disposal Store, they are just fantastic.

When I figure out the brand, I'll come and update here.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Modat22

I like those Dr Shaw's diabetic socks, they seem to help my circulation and wick moisture away very well and only cost around 5 bucks a pair.
remember man that thy are dust.

broker farmer

I got tickled about One With Wood saying his socks last 20 years!...........I guess it's true about them Southern Indiana Hoosiers................they only wear socks 1 month out of the year!

beenthere

For outdoor work, I wear a silk sock with a wool sock over that. Best for me, as my feet sweat a lot.  I also wear silk underwear (top) with a wool shirt, and find that better for working in the woods during the winter. The silk is better than the poly for wicking away moisture into the wool.

For everyday socks, I get white ones from JC Penney.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Onthesauk

Might try Cabela's, they've got some good boot socks.  For cold, I end up at the ski shop looking for good quality fleece socks.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

macpower

I got a grey one on my left foot, and a blue one on the right. Think I have two pairs like these.
They are the Merrino, (sp?), wool ones from Wigwarm. I find the most important thing is to have boots that fit right and are not too tight, and have a good innersole to keep you off the cold ground.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Texas Ranger

Hey, Asy wears combat boots and socks!!!!!!!!!! 8)

I wear the heaviest cotton socks i can find, year round, or wool, if I can find them, not so much for warmth as for padding, DanG boots get aggressive after a day of wet walking.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ga_Boy

I like the ones I got in the Navy, there called extream exposure cold weather socks.

Part Wool and part Cotton, good and thick, they are also nice for wearing around the house on cold days.

Not sure where to get them other than a Navy Exchange.  I got friends that get them for me, I buy 15 20 pair at a time, wear them year round with my Danner insulated boots; working on my second pair of Danners, Navy isued my my first pair. 

Old habits die hard.
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

asy

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 16, 2005, 01:53:32 PM
Hey, Asy wears combat boots and socks!!!!!!!!!! 8).

hehe, yeah, my feet don't take real kindly to tearing a house apart in thongs (flip-flops, not the underwear!)...

I do wear my 'industrial' thongs when I'm painting or tiling, though...

Skytramp

Whatever my wife buys for me;
SkyTramp
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 16, 2005, 01:53:32 PM
DanG boots get aggressive after a day of wet walking.

That will do a number on your feet alright. I have lots of experience there.  :(

I like wool socks we get sometimes from a place up near Quebec city. I dought they are an online merchant. I think they are $30 bucks a pair but the wool is real fine and silk smooth. :) I can't remember the merchant's name.  :( But, I mostly wear Kodiak or some home made knit socks to work in. For casual I wear cotton, no preferance as long as the kneck isn't too tight, gives me a rash.  I'm not real fussy.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodbowl

I'm real picky about my socks, nothing but the best for me! Bought some socks just the other day. 10 pair for $6.96 at Walmart. If my feet's still cold, I just put on another pair. That's what I call a good sock! Cheeeep.  ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

dutchman

DanG

I just wear the same ones I wore yesterday.  After a while, they build up a protective coating. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

breederman

I'm with woodbowl.The bad thing about them is ya don't know any of them are missing untill there is only one left. :o
Together we got this !

Phorester

"I just wear the same ones I wore yesterday.  After a while, they build up a protective coating."

Hah, Dang, that's the same philosophy of most Boy Scouts on camping trips! 

I can't understand their mothers, who get upset when their son comes back from a week of summer camp with 6 pair of clean underwear.  Don't they realize it's less laundry for them to do??  ;D

isawlogs

Kodiac .. bleu wool socks  Its all I have , its all I've had for 25 years .. just keep buying them . I'm probably the only one that ever got married in them .  :)
I do have a few other pairs of socks ...  they are the true wool type that my mother has knit for me . Now those will keep any feet warm no matter what the temp is .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Brucer

After years of wearing out socks in a few days, having allergic reactions to the fibre, and developing rashes from tight elastics, my wife solved the problem for me. Now I wear custom-designed, fitted socks knit from home-spun nylon yarn ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

shopteacher

Quote    I do wear my 'industrial' thongs when I'm painting or tiling, though...

asy 

Would those be the underwear or the flip flops? ;D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Furby

I don't really want to know Teach! ;)

shopteacher

Furby! Where's your sense of adventure? smiley_gorgeous
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Furby

Ironwood

We were high in the Andes several years ago and the herdsman with our group wore "industrial thongs" looked like they were made from old tire retreads. Snow, rock, ice nothing stopped them. Made us mountaineers look like girls with all our fancy boots and gear. They went for ten days like that, up over 17,000 foot passes. AMAZING! Here is a family living as they did centuries ago at 15-16,000 ft. Cooking with llama dung in their stone house to the left.

The family is wearing industrial thongs. Reid

PawNature

Just put on a pair of brand new Caehartts. They feel soooooooooo good ...
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

IMERC

Tried about everybody's. Fox River has it all over the others.

so would that be hands down or feet up.
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

asy

Quote from: shopteacher on December 17, 2005, 06:09:52 AM
  Would those be the underwear or the flip flops? ;D

The latter, since I don't own any of the former.   :o

Thank You Sponsors!