iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabbing rail ideas????????

Started by Oregon_Rob, September 27, 2002, 02:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oregon_Rob

What makes the best slabbing rails for the Alaskan? I am still using a board nailed on top of a log and need to make some brackets and rails.
The brackets should be easy to make out of some angle, but for the rails, am not sure what to use to get a straight cut and make them easily adjustable. I think I have seen 2x4's used,
but how about for different length of logs?
 :P
Chainsaw Nerd

Kevin

Rob , My slabbing rail can be seen with my milling pictures.
Make the longest rail you can carry, any shorter logs the rail will just hang over.
Don`t make it too wide, it`s better to have the bottom of the rails rest on the top side of the log for support.
I don`t care for the board on the log as a guide.

KiwiCharlie

G'day Rob,

I have been toying with the idea of making a board from plywood, laminated to a size of maybe a 10 or 12 x 2 (not sure on sizing), with aluminium angle running down the length.  I could notch the underside of one end to allow a second one to be attached if the log is long.  This way you could leap-frog up the log if you were doing a super long job.  Ply is pretty resistant to any warpage etc, and could be lighter?  Still in the thought stage right now!
Kevin, why do you prefer rails to a board? ???
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Fla._Deadheader

I had a guy do a little sawing for me that used a Ripsaw band mill with chainsaw engine. His guide board is Aluminum box tube, approx 2 inches X  6 inches.

It has 2 adjustable angle type "anchors" on either end. There are 2 small "ears" on each angle that stick up approx. 3/4 inch, with setscrews, that tighten to the sides of the tube.

Then there is an adjustable second section that is slotted, with 2 tightening knobs, so you can raise-lower the box tube, that uses 2 screwdriver looking studs, through 2 sleeves, attached to the top anchor piece.

You drive the screwdriver looking studs into the end of the log and adjust the tube up or down, to get it "leveled" with the log.

Is this clear as mud ?????

Tonight I will TRY to draw up this rig. I ain't no ar-teest !!

If successful, I will TRY to post it.

I could build the DanG thing easier than "splainin" it.

Oh Yeah, his worked well, except when he sawed into the "dog" studs, with a NEW blade. I tried to stop him????  Harold
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kevin

Charlie,
If you beef the board up with angle it will work better but now you`re adding weight.
It`s time consuming to string a board and if you don`t get the board perfect your lumber will be wavy.
An aluminum guide is great but too rich for me.

This is another idea I had for a rail but I haven`t made one yet.
This is an end view, the pipe is welded to a piece of flat steel then the flat steel is secured to one rail.
A hole is drilled through the other rail and the pipe slides in and out making it adjustable.

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,

I like the idea of your rail Kevin, it would work well, and not be that heavy either.  Like you say, an aluminium setup would be nice!
Harold, I think I got the picture, but not before I had smoke coming out my ears!!  ;) :D
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

woodbeard

I've got a 32' aluminum extention ladder that I will probably use one section of for a slabbing rail when I finally get my mill up and running. I guess the only thing I worry about is keeping it steady on smaller diameter logs.
George

Fla._Deadheader

Well, been going crazy trying to scan and post the drawing for the aluminum tube log dogs, like I said I would.

Had a puter virus a while back, and now the scan wizard screen won't come up. All I get is "part" of the drawing, and I have to search the hard drive to find it !!!

Will get the puter guru to fix it and keep trying ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Bro. Noble

I know absolutely nothing about this type of mill, but have a thought for a long streightedge.  If you could put a bracket on each end, could you run a taught cable and stretch it with a come-a-long?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ADfields

Fla._Deadheader
Try puting a box around your drawing and see if the scaner will pick it up that way.   I have a cheep Lexmark 4 in 1 that will onley get part of some things I scan till I box them in.
Andy

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks, Andy. I'll try that. Still need to get it working properly ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

8) 8) Got it done! got it done! NOW, let's see if this sucker will show up. REMEMBER, I AIN'T NO ARTIST !!

First, it is ridiculed;

Oregon_Rob

FD and all,
Thanks for all the really good ideas, don't know what I will end up with, but it helps a lot having all the different perspectives. I know I will end up with something better than I could have come up with on my own.

Cheers indeed,

Rob
Chainsaw Nerd

Thank You Sponsors!