iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Syrup... Tried for the first time...

Started by asy, December 15, 2005, 04:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

Well, was in the supermarket the other day, looking for some topping to go on ice cream, and found the Maple Syrup section.

There were four to choose from...

TWo were 'maple flavoured syrup', and two were 'authentic, made in canada, REAL Maple syrup'.

I've never had the REAL one before, so, I thought what the heck! And bought it.

I know those of you who are con-o-sours  ::)  will be laughing about now.  :D

oh, and, before I Forget...   IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!

NOW I know what you lot are talking about!!!

If the food discussed on the ff is THIS Good, I can't wait to try GrIts!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Deadwood

Try taping a Yellow Birch!

No I'm not joking. My Grandfather used to tap one Yellow birch tree towards the end of the tapping season. It does not take long because Yellow Birch trees really produce sap when its that time of year. He used to boil off some of the water, but not as much as the maple syrup, and then drink the sap. It had a wintergreen taste to it that was pretty unique.

I've never heard of anyone else doing that, and I really don't know his "recipe" as I was too small to really care. Maybe someone on here knows though. We are a pretty resourceful bunch.

crtreedude

Asy - DON'T GO TO THE DARKSIDE!

The truth is with enough maple syrup - even sawdust will taste good!

Don't trust them on the grits - you'll be sorry!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

mike_van

Deadwood - I've read that up in Alaska they tap birch trees [no maples] 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

L. Wakefield

I had heard the thing about birch sap- one spring there was a broken birch in the swamp and the sap was tasty. I hadn't heard the part about the wintergreen overtone but it makes sense.

A bit early to think about that just yet, but it has been below zero the past 2 nights. Hoping to get up into the 30's today. I'm working nights tonight and will go out to feed during daylight hours today.

The past 3 nights it's been incredibly beautiful- snow with bright moonlight- never needed the flashlight once I got out of the barn. I would hate to miss the experience.. lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

asy

Quote from: crtreedude on December 15, 2005, 05:23:28 AM
Asy - DON'T GO TO THE DARKSIDE!

But they sound so goooooooood...  :D

And, I figure it's the only way I could EVER learn to make that 'face' that the boss makes when someone gives him GrIts...  GrIts I say...  :D  :o  ;D

asy :D :D :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

OLD_ JD

canadien forest ranger

sawguy21

I had a bottle of real homemade maple syrup given to me last winter while I was visiting Ontario. I have a little bit on toast once in a while as a treat. That stuff is DanG good and not to be confused with that southern dish that keeps showing up here. :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Engineer

Real maple syrup is from Vermont, not Canada.  The Canadian stuff is just a poor substitute.   ;D ;D ;) ;)

junkyard

Thousands and thousands of gallons of pure New York State M aple Syrup are exported to Vermont  every year.
Croghan New York home of the American Maple Museum. Sweetest little town in Upstate New York.
                          Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Ernie_Edwards

Say what you want, I think the best syrup is what I make in my sugar shack here in Michigan. But maybe that is just pride of authorship.

srjones

We tried the REAL maple syrup about 5 years and haven't gone back to the artificially flavored high fructose corn syrup.  Ironically, other than being sweet, the fake stuff doesn't even taste much like the real stuff.

I don't know about gree-itz (the closest thing I've ever had it polenta)  but it's pretty good on oatmeal, hot cereal, french toast, waffles, pancakes and ice cream.  .
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

crtreedude

We had visitors a while back from Vermont who wish to see the fincas. They stayed at a reasonable hotel (and got our corporate discount). Afterwards, as they were leaving, they gave us some of their very own Vermont Maple Syrup!

They can come and visit any day!

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Phorester

"The truth is with enough maple syrup - even sawdust will taste good!

Don't trust them on the GrItz - you'll be sorry!"

Grits...., sawdust....., about the right comparison.  ;D

Murf

Quote from: Engineer on December 15, 2005, 08:25:14 AM
Real maple syrup is from Vermont, not Canada.  The Canadian stuff is just a poor substitute.   ;D ;D ;) ;)

Sheesh, next yer gonna try ta say Wisconsin cheese is better'n ours too huh?

So much fer ridin on one o' my tractors.  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Engineer

Can't say as I've ever tried Canadian cheese.   Besides - we have Cabot cheese, made here in  VT.  Why try the rest, I've had the best.   :D

;D ;D ;D ::) ::)

beenthere

Murf
Now who would say a thing like that?   ;D ;D

I've eaten the VT cheese, and the Tillamook cheese, and a lot of the WI cheese.    ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Murf

Dohhhh, Ok, I'll see yer cheese and raise ya a beer, a real Canuck beer, not dat watery stuff Laverne & Shirley brewed up neither.  :D  :D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

solodan

John Muir prefered the syup of Sugar Pine over real maple syrup. I live in Sugar Pine, Ca. but have never tried this, as I enjoy maple syrup no mater where it comes from, but I also like grits, I had some this morning. now as far as cheese goes, California produces the best cheese. We even have these commercials on T.V. that make fun of people from Wisconsin coming to California for the cheese. My wifes family hates these commercials. They still live in Wisconsin.

jon12345

Syrup is made from white birch, as for yellow birch, chew on a twig and it is definitely wintergreen.

I'll keep the vermont jokes to myself, but NY is another top producer of Maple syrup, and a lot of cheese is made here too.

Did I hear.... Croghan?   :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

L. Wakefield

Quote from: Phorester on December 15, 2005, 02:04:55 PM
"The truth is with enough maple syrup - even sawdust will taste good!

Don't trust them on the GrItz - you'll be sorry!"

GrItz...., sawdust....., about the right comparison.  ;D

##x^xm8*$## grit-bashers!

Defenders of grits, where, oh where, are you? Who will speak for the lowly grit? Never found in isolation, but always in the company of other grits- able to keep company with bacon or-better- ham, comforting recipient of red-eye gravy, cheese, salsa-

Grits *could* co-habit with maple syrup, but would probably be more happy with something like sorghum and biscuits..lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Corley5

I won't have anything but pure maple syrup.  We made it when I was kid and "pancake syrups" don't even come close.  To make syrup go further Grandma Whittaker used to cut her's with Karo syrup ::).  Why she did this when we made it and had all we wanted I'll never know but she did.  One winter I was visiting them in Florida and she made pancakes for breakfast.  Now I knew what she did to the syrup as Dad had told me.  I put on just a little, tried it and asked what she'd done to the syrup ;).  It WAS pretty gross :D  She said it was to make it last.  I told her we had several gallons at home.  She got the pure stuff out and that's what I used.  Grandpa used it too.  He didn't say anything during the exchange but he used the real stuff when it hit the table ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)  After that bottle of mix was gone I'm sure she didn't do it anymore ;D :) :) :) :)  We've still got some of our own left but I got some at an auction last fall.  Two quarts of light and two of mid season.  I prefer the darker mid season stuff myself.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

OLD_ JD

Quote from: Engineer on December 15, 2005, 08:25:14 AM

ya know y ???...once i was in vermont at some friend's dinner....they where serving meat pie whit maple syrup :o....eh..was it the meat pie the substitute ;D
canadien forest ranger

sprucebunny

New Hampshire makes maple syrup, also. I try not to mess up my syrup with other stuff and just sip a little in a cup. ;D

For the last few months, I've been enjoying Canadian maple syrup that isawlogs' family made. It is just slightly more intense than what I'm used to from NH. And the flavor is a little fuller or rounder. But the difference is VERY subtle.

Any way you pour it, maple syrup.... the real stuff from anywhere.... is wonderful 8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Mtnjack

Ok i have an idea ,the last batch of sap i received was at the pig roast eating it ever so slowly however i do not think it will last for 233 more days.So i propose that Ny, Pa,Wis and any other state or country that can submit a sample will be give a fair and accurate rating. However the StumpJumper family from Mi,is now in first place.On to the Grits, any body south of the line that wood like to send a sample so be it, but we wont have any feeders here until early spring, and dont need grits around gittin old.  Mtn Jack official tree sap tester

Thank You Sponsors!