iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

roof'in people, is a metal covered hip roof practical?

Started by Modat22, December 13, 2005, 10:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

A friend was talking about putting shed type metal on his hip roof, I've only done "A" shaped roofs in metal and wasn't sure he could keep the water from leaking into his hip ridges.

What do you think?

thanks
remember man that thy are dust.

Fla._Deadheader

A LOT of houses are using that Steel roof after the Hurricanes went through. A competent roofer should give a quality job. We have some fairly complicated hip roofs in Florida  ::) ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Modat22

thankyou Sir!

I goofed. I should have asked if skill lacking people could put metal on a hip roof.

I don't imagine he'll be hiring a roofer to do it, he's trying to talk his buddies (including me) to have a 3 case roof raising get together. I wouldn't know how to do the job right and I afraid to get messed up with the job.

J_T

Wake up Ck he'll know think he's singing christmas songs right now :D :D If he says it will work I would bet granney's old goat on what he says 8) 8)
Jim Holloway

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Modat22

heh, Yea he beat my bid in like 35 seconds on the Christmas music.

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

J_T

Yea I'd get his advice before I bid again  :D :D He is almost having as much fun as running CFI :D :D Slow typing see he's awake  8)
Jim Holloway

Modat22

is it basically lining up the metals ridges across the hip ridge and putting a ridge cap over it? or do you want to put some sort of drain channel under the metal first?

Thanks CK

you still after the sleigh bells and brass?

etat

smiley_operator

what's that you say?

oh sorry, had a hard time hearing you with the sound of that music playing in my head!   :)

I've never done a hip roof in metal myself but the ones I've 'seen' just had the metal bumped together tight and then the ridge put over it.   I seriously doubt that I myself would trade to do one, especially on a low pitched roof cause I just don't trust it and I don't think it looks good. If I 'were' to do one I'd line each side of the ridge with expandable polyurethane tape before I put the cap on it, the same as I do in valleys so that water can't blow under them.  I buy the tape the same place I buy my metal.  It comes in a thin roll about a inch wide but when you roll it out (it sticks on both sides) it expands to about a inch thick  to help fill in the gaps between the metal where the ridge would ride over the humps in the metal. Oh, and get ready, I can't remember the exact price but that expandable tape is expensive. To me though it would be the only way to go. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

mike_van

I did a small hip roof with metal, lot of hand cutting, lot of waste.  The hips really have to be well cut, then sealed. The metal ridge caps cover a lot, but wont stop wind blown rain.  Under the metal, I used ice & water shield [that peel off stuff]  Then a good caulk-sealer along the metal edges.  No leaks, but a lot of work.  At the top where it all comes together is critical for a good fit too. 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Modat22

Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna tell the guy that it would probably be better and easier to just use shingles (probably cheaper too if it leaks).

Cktate, be careful with those head phones, that christmas music will rot the brain and I hear that if you play it backwards you'll hear airplane pilots cursing the boat makers.

Peace!
sam

Phorester

My house has a standing seam metal hip roof on both the main house and an addition that we put on about 15 years ago.  The main house roof has been there about 95 years, the age of the house.  It is just now beginning to leak in a couple spots. Hope to replace it next summer with another standing seam metal one.  They are common in my area on older houses.  No problems with the newer roof.  Both, of course, were put on by professional roofing contractors.

Kirk_Allen

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on December 13, 2005, 10:24:18 PM
A competent roofer should give a quality job.

Well then you dont want to use the roofer we had >:(

pigman

Quote from: Phorester on December 14, 2005, 01:38:48 PM
The main house roof has been there about 95 years, the age of the house.  ............put on by professional roofing contractors.
I suppose you are going to say that you watched them professionals install that roof. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

getoverit

I'm almost afraid to jump in here, but here goes with my $.2 worth:

The best asphalt shingle roof guarantee you can get here in Florida is for 30 years, and you pay through the nose for shingles with that kind of warranty.

On the other hand, Metal roof's come with a STANDARD 50 year warranty.

The Insurance people give discounts for metal roofs and brick walls, as they are not prone to catch on fire if there is a forest fire nearby.

If it is sealed right, it is just as practical and waterproof as a shingle roof in my book.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

etat

I've been on LARGE commercial metal roofs in the neighborhood of twenty five to thirty  years old and replaced every screw in em with over sized screws.  Lots of hard work and seemed like a million screws in em. The  washers had deteriorated and the screws had rusted the threads almost off. 

I've also replaced em on houses where the screws were overtightened and spun the rubber washers just as they tightened em down. 

The best screws I've see are the newer types with a double metal washer behind the rubber.  They will come nearer tightening down without spinning the washer.  Even a coated or galvanized screw will scrub the coating off the threads when it goes through the metal.

While the roofs 'may' last fifty years I personally have doubts about it and am almost sure they won't last that long without maintenance. Especially on a house that is heated.  Metal sweats underneath.  My personal thoughts are that they will eventually rot out the wood where the screws are fastened on the tighter houses these days. 

I am NOT saying they aren't good roofs.  Also be aware that eventually the colors will fade.  Some day somebody I predict will make good money repainting these roofs.

I could be wrong, that's just my thoughts. 

Jeff

Seems to me Corley5 has had some real issues with his steel roof and screws. I know he almost had a truck wiped out when all the snow came off at once. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

etat

Phorester

"I suppose you are going to say that you watched them professionals install that roof."

Nope, PIGMAN, I didn't see it.  I was living in another town 95 years ago.   ;D

Phorester

CKTATE, we might be talking about different kinds of metal roofs.  Roofers have told me the standing seam roofs will last 100 years or more here.  Any other type of metal roof other than a standing seam doesn't last near as long.

You're right, you do have to allow them to sweat.  An improperly installed ceiling underneath a metal roof will not allow for that and will surely rust it out in a few years. That's a problem when somebody wants to close in an attic and doesn't realize the metal roof needs to sweat.  And you do have to paint'em every few years.  When you add in that cost, I wonder which is more economical, a standing seam that will last 100 years if painted, or shingles that have to be replaced every 25-30 years, but are virtually maintenence free.

The new standing seam roofs are much better with paint than decades ago.  They come primed and painted from the factory if you want to pay for it, and I suspect these will not have to be painted as often as one installed 30 or more years ago.  (But the metal is thinner than the old roofs) And a copper standing seam roof is virtually maintenance free, but is much more expensive. 

etat

Sorry, you're right.  I was talking about a tin type metal roof, not standing seam.

A   properly maintained standing seam metal roof with no exposed fasteners will last practically forever.  I've re coated them on old hardware stores that had to be close to a hundred years old.  Replaced a few of em and underneath they would still be bright shiny galvanized metal even though on the top side they might be pitted with rust holes. I kinda sorta seriously  doubt the paint or galavanize today will last as long as them old roofs with the heavy application of lead they included in the hot dipped galavanize back then  Copper, though expensive, should outlast all of us and then some.

mike_van

One benefit on metal is if it has to be torn off - it's actually worth money as scrap metal, where as asphalt shingles will cost a small fortune to rent a dumpster to get rid of.  One drawback is if you have to walk on one [cleaning a chimney, etc]  you can't - they are just too slippery.  I've done 4 barns & my garage with Fabral [screw fasteners]  oldest is 15 years now, being 54, I should never have to replace one.   The hardest part for me was putting the ridge on, you straddle the ridge, [like the fattest horse in the world] and just work your way back putting in screws. By the time you get to the other gable, your upper legs are just screaming!!
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Modat22

Well this guy is getting shingles, the metal hip roof is way out of our skill range and would cost the guy more than a few cases of beer to put on.

Thanks for the input folks.

Phorester

"I kinda sorta seriously  doubt the paint or galavanize today will last as long as them old roofs with the heavy application of lead they included in the hot dipped galavanize back then"

Yep. Another point I hadn't thought of.

Thank You Sponsors!