iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For Spruce Bunny, Others free to look TRACKED MINIPLOW

Started by Ironwood, December 13, 2005, 09:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

WAY COOL, from Cleveland Ohio snow belt, for sidewalk clearing.

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Coon

That's a cool looking piece of equipment but..........  if I owned it I'd make DanG sure that the snowplow would be quick attach/detach and I would also have just a straight blade for it as well.  The machine definately needs a skidding winch of some kind on it.  One may also want a logging trailer with a boom and grapple on it for hauling logs out of the bush.
Just my 2 cents, Brad.  8) 8)

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

moosehunter

I think that is a JW5 or JW7. Very heavy for it's size. Great for sidewalks and used in the far north by small loggers for skidding. Neat machine, but not very comfortable. Very loud. I blew up the motor in one. ( someone else had driven it out in the bush, blew the water pump belt and kept driving 'till it quit, I went out and installed a new belt, then tried to drive it back.... BOOM!)
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

sprucebunny

I believe it's an SW48. They also came as SW54 & SW60. The numbers are the width. Many cities had/have them but they are being sold in favor of newer machines.

Thank you Reid ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Murf

Up here most places are getting away from Bombi's, and also the Trackless Mt's and Holders and such.

The tracked units are too expensive and are strictly a snow machine, the rubber tired units are more versatile, but also very expensive.

Most municipalities up here have switched over to small tractors, they are readily available, and the various implements are easily had, and not very spendy compared to the other stuff.

Biggest problem with them is because they are tracked they needed to be VERY heavy as Moose stated, otherwise they had no traction at all.

The cities also had an increasing problem with grass repairs with tracked machines, they skid steer and they would rip up the grass at every corner.

I like the idea of using small tractors, 'specially cause I have a big ole fleet of them on rental every winter.  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

farmerdoug

Farmers around here have found that the big tracked tractors are not viable on the small fields around here(60acres or less).  The wear on the over the road travel kills the treads on the rubber track quick.  They are fine in the parts of the country were the fields are big though. 
I wonder how the rubber tracks will hold up on the concrete?

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

moosehunter

Thanks SB, I knew I had those #s wrong. :-[
The one we had we were going to put a Mercedes 5 cyl deisel engine in, but decided it was just too heavy for trail grooming.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

SwampDonkey

I see similar machines with snow blowers in small towns here. No not skid steers. Small towns around here aren't too worried about a little sod knocked out of place. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

This here is a J5 in a recent topic. Second down. I think the J5 is heavier than the SWs and generally more powerful .

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=15495.msg220294#msg220294

I went to the Musee Bombardier this past summer. It was great  8)

Here's the link again

http://museebombardier.com/en/content/jab/biographie1949_1958.htm

There was lots more to see than is shown on the website. An ingenious man.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Engineer

Every town around here is using a JD 4100/4110/4120 or variant with a front blower or blade to clear sidewalks.  One town has a model with a full heated cab, small sander mounted on the 3pt hitch, and a blower.  I think that's what I want for my driveway.   :D

Paschale

Y'all get your sidewalks cleared?  Not in GR, unless you count my yardman snowblower.   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Murf

Engineer, if'n ya' wanna come up here I can let ya' play with one of mine, but'cha can't take it home.  :D

farmerdoug

Murf, that is a mess of tractors you have there.  What is their make and model?  I sure would go broke just keeping them fueled and maintained.

farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Murf

They're all Kubota's, mostly L3830's (38hp at the crank), some with factory cabs, others are aftermarket units, they couldn't (wouldn't ?) give me all of them with factory cabs.

They all have a power angle plow, and most have a 3pth drop spreader. Luckily the contracts I have are real good deals, they all include fuel & maintenance, several customers even provide me with heated shop space for repairs and even wash them as part of their fleet. I just provide the men & equipment.

I'm lucky in that I have work for most of them during the summer too, most of my competitors have to price the contracts to include the machines being parked for half the year. Gives me a little edge price-wise.

Thank You Sponsors!