iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sealer question

Started by thedeeredude, December 13, 2005, 09:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

What kind of sealer should we use on chestnut oak thats green yet?  Its probably at 50% or so moisture or less.  We did put borates solution on them already.  We had used Ace solvent based sealer on a couple of the pieces but wanering what is best.  Thanks

Jim_Rogers

What are you trying to seal?
Logs, log home, timbers, or lumber?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

thedeeredude

Sorry forgot to say that.  We're sealing timbers and planks 4x8's and 2x8's.

Jim_Rogers

If you're trying to seal the ends of green timbers and planks to prevent them from splitting and checking a good end sealer is Anchorseal, sold by UC Coatings.
Here is their web page address: https://www.uccoatings.com/uccoat.php Just click on this name for the link.

If you're trying to seal the outside of these timbers and planks, if they are not totally dry I wouldn't try that. Sealing with a film creating sealer will trap moisture in the timbers and planks and may cause them to rot from the inside out.
You should try to find a sealer that will breath and let the moisture out.

Good luck with your search.

Jim Rogers

thedeeredude

Well, this sealer said it letw the wood naturally age, so I'm guessing that means its breathable.  Were sealing the whole timber, not just the ends. We already used some of this sealer on some of the wood, will that be a big problem?  And what kind of sealer do you reccomend?  Thanks.

Jim_Rogers

Is the wood green?
Does the sealer can say "apply to dry wood?"
Most sealers that say apply to dry wood won't do you much good, if you're applying it to green wood.

Years ago, an old timer told me, he was going to use Linseed oil and turpentine mixed 50/50 for preserving some fresh sawn oak planks.
There are two kinds of Linseed oil, boiled and raw. If you read the can neither of them say "apply to dry wood," but the raw one says will stay slippery until dry and it can take days to dry. So I've always recommended boiled Linseed oil when someone buys backhoe trailer planks from me and want to put "something" on them to make them last. The can does say it prevents splitting and checking of wood.

And I don't really have a good sealer in mind for the sides of the timber, other than tong oil. It is a breathable stain/oil used by many on timbers.

If you go to the guild website "ask the experts" and do a search using: Linseed Oil as the subject you'll get all kinds of info about formulas of things to mix for using on timbers and oak trim.

Jim Rogers

Troy

Deere Dude,

You might want to try some of the log home products for sealing the face of the timbers.  I have a log home and use Perma Chink stains and sealers that suposedly allow the wood to breathe.

Troy
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

beenthere

As I understand it, all sealers will allow the wood to breathe, unless they have paraffin wax in them. The degree of 'breathing' will vary between non-wax sealers and the rate of breathing will depend on the conditions (hot, dry, cool, damp, etc.) the wood is in after 'sealing' it with whatever. Just my point of view.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

Quote from: thedeeredude on December 14, 2005, 08:41:58 AM
Well, this sealer said it letw the wood naturally age, so I'm guessing that means its breathable.

What that means is that there are no UV inhibitors in the sealer. It has nothing to do with breathing.
UV rays cause the woods color to change or "age".

thedeeredude

So should we just let the timbers that we already sealed alone?  Were gonna use linseed oil from now on for the rest of the shed, but what about what we already did?

Squirrell_Boy

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but you might want to look into the Land Ark penetrating oil finish that some timber framers use. I am not sure what effect it would have if you have already applied borates. The link below explains about the product.

http://www.heirloomtimberframes.com/eng/products/index.shtml
"Of course we don't know what we're doing. That's why they call it research." Albert Einstein

Thank You Sponsors!