iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OK Furby...Here is the scoop

Started by hawby, December 12, 2005, 08:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawby

OK everybody I have dropped a few hints, but Furbster has chewed on my ear so here is the scoop for all of youse guys!

I have been subcontracting to a logging firm for a few months sawing pallet lumber and other misc. functions. One of the several mills that sawed grade lumber for the firm, went bankrupt. This left a large capacity problem, so... I was able to purchase the used LT40 Super that was onsite AND I also bought a BRAND NEW LT70 Electric. In addition, I purchased a nearly new Woodmizer two saw electric edger.

The beauty of the deal is, I do not have to do any logging, buying of timber, or mudbogging. The BEST part of the deal is I don't have to sell any lumber. I am just a "service industry". Quite a wonderful deal from my point of view.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get the proper programs loaded on the new computer so I can optimize them. I want to thank those of you that encouraged me back in January. I had a few months that I was just a little worried that I might have made a mistake leaving the evil "Corporate World." No such thoughts now....

Merry Christmas !!!!!!
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Furby

;D ;D ;D
Glad to see things are looking up!
Was kinda hard waiting for ya to break the news on this, and I'll be waiting for them pics!!! :D

Tom

Way to go Hawby!  If you get rich, write us a book.   I want to know how. :D

hawby

RICH!?!?!  :D :D :D

Now that there is funny!!!
Hawby

sprucebunny

Congratulations, Hawby  8)

You've taken some big steps !!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Paschale

Congrats Hawby!  This is good news!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Don K

Congrats Hawby!!  It's nice to see someone make a move that requires stepping out on faith and it coming to fruit. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

TN_man

Way to go Hawby 8)
I would like to take that step but I am having a hard time finding a steady log supplier. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I am glad to hear that things are falling into place for you though.
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

sparks

Congrats Hawby. Make sure you give us a call here a Wood-Mizer and we'll get the equipment you bought registered into your name. 1-800-525-8100.   
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Norm

Way to go Hawby! I'm green with envy....well actually this time of year I'm more like pale white. ;D

I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the electric LT-70. :)

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

My congrats too, Hawby.
Will be looking forward to hearing more about your venture.
Will 'Dad' be helping you out?  Enjoyed meeting him with you at the PiggyRoast.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

johncinquo

Congrats again Ken.  I would bet that this whole deal is going to work out great for you.   Good things do come back around for folks who deserve it. 

Hey I got a question, did ya ever get that kitchen finished?   Cause now I dont see it ever getting done with you running that operation full steam ahead! 

Anybody who ever met Ken back when he was working in the chemical cave would be surprised to see him now.  He has lost a few Lbs, is bouncing off the walls with excitement and energy, has a much better outlook and attitude about all of life.  When things start going good the little things that go wrong don't seem like anything, when your down and just, tired of where your at and how things are, everything seems to pile up on top of each other.  Now a downpour would roll off the guys back like rain off a duck. 

To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Kevin_H.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

maple flats

Fantastic! Most of us wish we could find a similar deal and the wisdom to recognize it as such. You did great and best wishes on this venture. I know from experience that it is real good to get out of the corporate world, I have never regreted it nor will you.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

hawby

Thanks everbody ! It has been a little scary at times, but as someone said, ya have to recognize when an opportunity slaps ya side the face. I could not have scripted a better setting to operate in. The facilities are top notch, four miles from home, and set in a woodsy environment. I had 10 deer within 25 yards of the mill today. I have had as many as 9 tom turkeys walk within slingshot range while I was sawing.

I sawed approx. 2200 bdft of pallet lumber today. The LT70 is so cool to operate. I had used simple setworks before, but not the full blown system... It has taken a little getting used to the "Pattern mode", but I like it. Saves a lot of number crunching in my head. ( That I ussually either didnot bother with...or I did it incorrect)

Learned a little about the blade guides today. After approx 7 hours on the machine, I had to raise the upper guide blocks a little. I was getting wavy, and the blade was heating up. I first thought it was the blade, but a new blade did same thing. It did not take much, but now it cuts great again.

How did I EVER get along without a debarker? I love that thing. The chain log turner is neat. It is an improvement over the arm turner. There are still situations that don't seem to work right, but I hope to learn the tricks sooner or later.

I seem to be creating a LOT of sawdust. I have a collector but so much seems to come off at the stationary blade guide. It piles up under the mast and I have to clean it off when I get down close to the bed. Have any of you guys encountered this phenomena and how have you cured it?

I especially want to "Thank" Dewwood for putting the "upgrade bug" in my heart. I used his mill earlier this last Summer and I just never liked my old mill after that again. That 2 plane clamping system is like another man helping out. Dewey, ya need to collect your demo fee from Woodmizer.

Yes John, getting out from behind that computer desk and stress factory has been a lifesaver. Down 26 pounds so far and adding some muscle..... The 7 to 6 hours seem long, but I was putting that in plus an hour drive each way...."What was I thinking???"

Now if I could just find a way to get some hours or the $$$$ to finish that kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom..... ::)
Hawby

DanG

Well, Ken, I held back on my congratulatory speech, 'cause I figured you'd never make it back to the computer with all them mills and all that work.  Since you've come up for air and stopped by for a visit, let me be the first to add my congratulations. ;D  That LT-40 is a nice machine, but the 70 is awesome!  Can't believe ya got BOTH of'em! 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ernie

Congrats  it's always good that when opportunity knocks, you open the door.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

hawby

I can't believe I have them both either, DanG. It was one of those gotta make a decision NOW things. I didn't even try to sell my old mill. Woodmizer gave me a fair tradein toward the 70 so... I took it. Could made $3-4k more, but woulda had to wait for a sale and I just didn't have time. Whole deal was 3 weeks from conception to delivery  :o
Hawby

oakiemac

Hey Ken,

Good news! I'm glad things are going good for ya. I'm still stuck in the corparate night mare. You know what I mean.
I'll be calling you in January for some Maple logs.

Once again congratulations!!! 8)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

sawguy21

Congratulations Ken. I am glad to hear the plan fell into place so neatly at the right time and place. Pretty soon the sawdust will become a basic food group ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Furby

Well I finally got around to checking out Ken's setup today, missed seeing Oakie though by a couple hours I hear.
All I can say is that is one nice mill! 8) 8) 8)
It was a real treat to see a LT70 going all out in a production setting comapared to what you see at the shows and such.
Even got to see some of those deer that hang around.
Thanks for the dust fix Ken and keep plugging away! ;)

Bibbyman

Quote from: hawby on December 13, 2005, 08:48:04 PM

I seem to be creating a LOT of sawdust. I have a collector but so much seems to come off at the stationary blade guide. It piles up under the mast and I have to clean it off when I get down close to the bed. Have any of you guys encountered this phenomena and how have you cured it?

Congradulations!  What a deal!

About the sawdust buildup.  No cure that I know of.   >:(

Around here, it's been the offbearer's job to watch the buildup and clean it out when the sawyer is turning the cant. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

dewwood

Ken,

I was thinking about you the other day and wandering how the sawing was going now that you have several thousand feet under your belt.  How do you like the LT 70?  I think the electric would be great and would like to switch to it but my mill is still in very good condition and no real reason to update other than want to.  I hope things are working out the way you had planned.   Maybe we can get up that way this summer some time and check it out.  I made a delivery in Buchanan Mich recently and thought about it then but that was still a long way to go to your place.

Hope things are going well will you and Dad be at the Piggy Party this year?

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

oakiemac

Well, I stopped by ken's new mill yard yesterday to buy some Hard Maple logs. Ended up buying 1000bf of veneer rejects. Very good logs but the price was a little steep so I'm hoping that with the extra quality of the logs that I can make some money on the deal.

Meet Ken's partner shawn. A very nice guy and they have a great setup. Ken has 2 nice mill sheds and a log pile that would make anyone jealous. He has mountains of walnut and maple ready to be cut.

Thanks Ken for showing me around and I'll be back to get some white oak in a month or so.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

hawby

Thanks for the kind remarks guys...

Yes there is a mountain of logs. That is what happens when the cutting crew can do 50Mbdft / week and the sawing crew is struggling to get to 10Mbdft  :-\  (This is Hard Maple ...frozen up until this week. I am anxious to start on the Cherry) That is one of my management dilemmas to get the matchup of personnel such that we can get the grading done, yet keep sawing. I have decided to add some HS guys that seem to have an interest in this type of work, to assist the grader. In fact our HS has an LT40 Super, so there is some actual training and career assessment happening there. By adding these guys, I hope to keep the bands in the logs longer.

My other option is to sell the LT40 and get a resaw instead. I am leaning this direction, but the capital is the sticking point. I am investigating some funding from the State for economic development and job creation. We'll see what kinda "mountain" that involves... paperwork one for sure  :'(

Then I need to consider if the 70 will be able to create cants at a rate that can keep up with the resaw.  ???

Dewey, I love the 70. It is fairly quiet, very powerful and smooth. I seem to have found the way to saw Hard Maple and get it to be fairly straight. (4 degree, 0.055 blades) Little more kerf and sawdust than I like, but you can't argue with the results. The resharps ( done by Dad Hawby) Seem to be hit or miss. Some will cut like a new blade... others DIVE immediately  >:( Feed rate is critical in the frozen stuff.

Biggest disappointment???? So much sawdust that doesn't go out the chute. I have a few mods in mind for curing that, but right now production is the key priority. One of the guys at Woodmizer said I should be able to saw 6000 bdft a day. I dunt thinks he has sawn frozen hard maple before..... It is so frustrating when the sawdust freezes in place on the board. makes it hard to "grade" the best face. The sawyer can see streaking from a knot or rot hole, but not the subtle grains, or even the brown. I would really like to eliminate the sawdust issue... and the grader asks EVERY time if I have come up with a solution.... It would speed grading if we could eliminate the sweeping of the packs during the grading sessions.

The electric motor is such an improvement. No surge form the govenor. Steady and consistant are the first words to come to mind. I really wish there was a clutch though. I know that Woodmizer claims that it is a low-Delta motor, but it would just be so much nicer to have an Autoclutch to switch in and out instead of shutting the motor on-off during log rollup. I also wonder what kind of blade life increase I could get if I had one  ??? ( Boss says the electric bill saw a $600 increase for the first month, but that is hard to say it is all mill or not. CP estimates some months so it could be a catch up month  ::) We will monitor the situation there.) WMZER says that I should run 2 hours with the blade, then change it out regardless of bdft. I tend to go the 2 hours if I can, then I watch for subtle changes in sound pitch or waviness in the cut. If the resharp was a little more consistant, I would just pull 'em at 2 hours. I was a little reluctant to just start sending the blades into Resharp at 2 hours use. Figured I was looking at $21k + for a years sawing. I am hoping to be able to get 3-5 sharpings before needing to send them in for reman. I'll know better when I get a few more sharpenings into the mix.

If the Orange guys are monitoring this... I have some mods I would suggest offline if you are interested. ( Other than the clutch  ;D)

Overall... great machine. As one of the guys that stopped by to watch said, "That is the niftiest machine I have EVER seen work!" I can imagine that a skilled sawyer could really crank out some grade on it. I on the other hand am learning on an hourly basis. So far... I would give myself a C+ and the machine an A-.

If I can ever find a moment of time again, I will try to get some pics of the yard and mill setup in my gallery. Right now I am busy sawing, grading, loading, unloading, and studying for my CDL, doing payroll, guiding employees, and trying to make payments. Did I mention I retired last year? :o

Hawby

oakiemac

Ken, I know you are busy and putting in long hard hours but if you are like me I believe that running your own buisness is many times more rewarding then working in corporate America. If it seems over whelming at times just think back to your days at the pill plant. That ought to put a smile to your face ;D
Remember those managers that know everything? They even know more about your job then you did?
Anyways good luck and I think you have a good operation going.

Steve

dewwood

Stopped by Hawby's mill site today, he is a very busy man.  Has a real nice setup where he is and no shortage of logs.  There were enough logs there to keep him busy for quite awhile.  I was envious of his new 70 mill, probably a mistake on my part to stop and look.  Having a nice loader there to do all of the moving of materials was also a nice plus.

Hope you can work something out on the resaw Ken, if you would like to look at one I am sure I could set up a time to stop at Fricks and take a look at their mill.  They have a pretty nice operation.

Good luck with all of your plans.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

crtreedude

Sounds good

Always remember, a self-employed person is one that will work 18 hours for himself so that he doesn't have to work 8 hours a day for someone else.

A lot less stress.  ::)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!