iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grapples...Grapples...Grapples

Started by sticks, December 11, 2005, 02:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sticks

Hello!

I have a 100 hp tractor and am looking to purchase a grapple attachment for it.  I am looking at both Addington Tractor Grapples and ImpleMax Tractor Grapples - specifically, three point hitch grapples.  I am interested in knowing the pro's and con's of a three point hitch grapple and if anyone has had experience with either the Addington Tractor Grapple or the ImpleMax Tractor Grapples.

Also, if anyone has a good, used three point hitch grapple for sale, I'd be interested in talking to you as well.

Look forward to your responses.

Thanks!

sticks

Frank_Pender

Sticks, I would sugges that you build you own unit, or have someone help.  I have a unit that I designed, with a 3 point system and a duce and a half winch as well.  I have 150 of 1/2" line on the winch which is run with a hydraulic motor.  I also built my own grapple.  The whole thing cost no more that $500.
Frank Pender

nurseb

Sticks I brough the implemax and modified it by welding a rake underneath and a butt plate  at the base of the arch.  logged about 30M ft and did some fuels work.  Because I had it mounted on the front of a JD 555 loader I found that the grapple head was swinging too much.  I welded chains on each side to dampen the swing.  I found that I was pushing with the front plate of the grapple head.  Consequently after bending the plate I ended up strengthing the head with a 1 1/4" solid peice of steel across the grapple head.   After 100 hrs of use I bent the mounting plate for one of the hydraulilc cylinders and then sheared the cylinder rod.     In the midst of all this I broke about 10 hoses, also  from too much grapple swing.   Right now I've just seen most of the repairs made, shortened the dampening chains and added some additional guarding to cover the flow divider.  I like the weight of the Implemax.   On the back of a tractor there won't be the movement I had mounted on the front of the loader.   However I really like to be able to heel a log, stack or reach around trees that I can do on the with the grapple mounted on the front.  Consequently, I wondered if I was  asking the grapple to do more than It was designed to do.   I've had to learn to be much more gentle with the grapple with it on the front of the cat.    It aint perfect (yet) but it works and  much more fun that setting choker all the time.

I looked at addingtons line and several others and I think they will work though I've not seen one I believe will hold up  to the abuse like an esco or young will.   That said, my grapple/ rake combo weighs about 1000lb (much less than the commercial options). 

As for money I have about $2800 in the implement.   If I had the money I'd by a dedicated skidder but for what I do $2800 is hard to beat for capital devoted to skidding.     

wiam

Frank,  Do you have any pictures?

Will

nurseb

Here's a picture of my project

Hopefully this worked.

nurseb

nurseb

Frank_Pender

That is cool, nurseb.   Whereabouts is Poverty Flats?
Frank Pender

nurseb

17 miles east of Pendleton up on cabbage hill.  Here's a picture of some of the fir I brought out.

You can see how it works in terms of building a deck.

nurseb

Here's a view of some pine I brought out.

The largest was about 28" on the small end.

Frank_Pender

Do you heal the logs against the brush forks?
Frank Pender

nurseb

You got it!  Just happen to have the forks so that the center is open and will hold a 11" log in it or any size up against the two center teeth.  I must have drawn 30 different renditions of the teeth configuration  before settling on what's there.

slowzuki

A fellow on Tractorbynet has an Implemax on his tractor with the winch too, he likes it a lot.

Here is a link with pics of his setup.

THANKS I ALMOST DIDN'T POST IT CAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SHORTEN

sticks

Thanks to all who answered my post on Grapples.  From what I'm learning, grapples seem to work best in flat or semi-flat terrains for many obvious reasons.  We are in the mountains with some steep and rocky slopes; it continues to look like winching is our best option.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ron Scott

A cable skidder, winching, works best on steeper slopes. Grapple skidders usually work on flatter ground and usually with a feller-buncher that cuts and bunches the wood for removal by the grapple.

There are a number of photos of such in the Timber Harvesting Methods and Equipment Thread.
~Ron

decker tree

Sticks, check out beaver Squeezer Grapples. Dave.

J_T

Been over at flebay watching Ck  8) 8) Did a little hunting this is made by brave item #7573469020 I typed in log skidder it the search and in the middle of all the toys there it is a grapple for a tractor or sompthing 8) :D :D
Jim Holloway

Thank You Sponsors!