iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford F350 questions

Started by oakiemac, December 09, 2005, 08:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

A while back I asked about the Dodge trucks with the cummins 5.9 liter engine. I got a lot of favorable reviews so I bought a 1992 Dodge 3/4 ton. Well since I got the truck in august I have had nothing but problems. Nothing really with the engine other then the altenator and water pump. I wont' list the other problems because I don't want to bore you all to death but suffice it to say that I am selling the truck to cut my losses and hopefully get something dependable.
I would still like to get another dodge but I want to upgrade to the one tonn. After looking around I haven't found very many one ton dodge diesels but there are quite a few Ford f-350's out there. The one I'm looking at is a '97, power stroke diesel, dually rear wheels, XLT package, 4 door crew cab, 4X4. They are asking $13000 which is more then I want to spend but I want something that can really haul the weight and something that won't need fixing everytime the wind blows.
Any comments on this truck? Should I hold out for the Dodge? If I get really desperate, should I look at the Chevys? ;)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Fla._Deadheader

Seems there were a few problems with the earlier Dodges. We have a 97 Dodge Dually. Only thing happened was the fingers on the A/C Clutch broke.  We see a LOT of them on I95, pulling loaded trailers full of cars. Hardly ever see one on the car lots. Ours has 120,000 miles ?? ;) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sprucebunny

I'm a Ford fan. Had a '97 F250 Powerstroke . It had a fuel filter problem but I don't think that was common. That's all that ever went wrong. Needs to be plugged in in the winter.

There are Ford truck forums that you could read. Ford Truck Enthusiasts.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

DouginUtah

You don't want no puny F-350!  :D  ;D

http://www.f650pickups.com/indexb.html  8)

-Doug

"In Clearwater today I happened to see an 8-mpg F-650 Super CrewZer, a pickup truck which is the biggest non-commercial road vehicle I have ever seen. The truck is an absolutely awesome display of the stupidity of the American consumer." Not my quote--from a peak oil energy group.

P.S. Oh, in case you missed it, the model with the Cat engine starts at $94,000.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

isawlogs

I have a 91 with the cummins . Its got a little over 300,00 miles on her  ( 500,000 kilometers ) I did have to change the tranny .. but I blamed that on myself ...  ::) They do last longer if the oil is up to par ..

I have friends with those Power strokes and they are a strong truck when they have the stick in them , with the auto they dont pull as much .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sawguy21

Quote from: isawlogs on December 09, 2005, 10:01:06 PM
I have a 91 with the cummins . Its got a little over 300,00 miles on her  ( 500,000 kilometers ) I did have to change the tranny .. but I blamed that on myself ...  ::) They do last longer if the oil is up to par ..

I have friends with those Power strokes and they are a strong truck when they have the stick in them , with the auto they dont pull as much .
I found the auto has poor shift points. The Ford rides like a lumber wagon, the seat is terrible but that Power Stroke sure pulls with a manual. I still prefer the Dodge with the diesel and a manual.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jason_WI

That F650 makes a Hummer looke like a tinker toy. I'll add that to my list of things to buy if I win the lottery :D :D :D :D

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Skytramp

Hi Okiemac;
     I have a 92 Ford F350, It is not the Power Stroke, sure wish it was as they are a lot stronger.
     At around a 100000 miles or before you will have to replace the flywheel, get the aftermarket one and put up with the noise. and those german made 5 speed transmissions are really expensive to work on. I put over 800 bucks in mine just getting reverse back.  Of course those allison trannys are not cheap either in the Dodge. but in my mind the Cummins engine is as good as you can get.
     I bought mine to move my mill with I have also moved skidders forklifts and about anything that I have hooked on to, always got there.  Moved a JD dozer about 6 miles once, overheated mildly, forgot to check the coolant.  My fault not the truck.
     I am a Ford man all the way. just my preference.  In the end it all comes down to how well it has been maintained and also we all know If we use them like we probably will, (We don't buy F-350s to haul groceries) sooner or later something is going to break. You can count on replacing the flywheel tho and mine is super hard on Universal joints.  If it has several miles on it you can replace the yokes and improve that situation.  One other thing I had an F-250  crew cab that rode like a log wagon, My f-350 is a flatbed and rides like a car, even with 10 ply 16s and 80lbs of air in the Maxis 235 R 75, also had to shim out to miss springs.
Skytramp
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

David B

If you buy a dodge, get a manual NV4500 (5 speed) or NV5600 (6 speed). Do NOT get the Getrag manual or auto trans. Although bombproof racing autos can be had for 2k from ATS. I have a 98 Dodge 2500 Cummins Auto 4x4. Good engine, poor tranny, poor front (4x4) axle, decent truck. Getting ready to get a one-ton flatbed for the shop. It'll likely be a 'stroke. 
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

rebocardo

If you get a Dodge avoid the auto tranny at all costs because they are prone to failure every 60-80k. I know this from a couple of people that own the 1/2 and DRW 1 tons and I have worked on their vehicles.

I believe the 1999 and under Dodge uses a custom fuel/injector pump that can only be sourced from Dodge because of the CPU board on the pump. Cost is $1800 for a reman. from the dealer. Last time I worked on one that failed I just sent it to a truck repair shop because of the tools needed to set it up properly (read I was not going to be responsible for a $1800 part).

On any real work truck, including the Ford, I would avoid an auto, but, especially on the Dodge.

> If I get really desperate, should I look at the Chevys

Only if you like pain :-D

> but there are quite a few Ford f-350's out there

Because the F-series is the best selling model of ANYTHING in America, including cars. So, there will be more for sale then other makes.

> I bought a 1992 Dodge 3/4 ton

If you bought a 1992 Ford it could have been the same. Over 12 years old and someone else's problems. I think it has nothing to do with OEM or make.

> a '97, power stroke diesel, dually rear wheels, XLT package, 4 door crew cab, 4X4.
> They are asking $13000

Assuming it is loaded with all the options, with alloy wheels, under 100,000 miles, in GOOD condition (most work trucks are lucky to fall into the good category and are usually FAIR) www.kbb.com lists a private party sale at $11,380. 

It is a highly desirable vehicle, not $13,000 worth though. Also, it is highly unlikely the seller will find anyone with even $11,000 cash to pay for the vehicle because it can not be financed being over six years old. Anyone with $11,000 cash could get a new Ford F-350 even with the worse credit in the world.

Go to www.kbb.com, figure out the fair price for a Private Party, deduct for condition unless it is mint and he can prove with slips on condition and upkeep, then take $2000-$3000 off that price. Plus, I would have a compression test done on the engine since that is the most expensive and likely component to fail that would hurt your wallet. $4-$8,000.

First thing is not many poeple have $10,000 cash in the bank for a truck. Plus, anyone with $10,000 could easily buy a new one with no headaches. So, it is a $10,000 vehicle in todays market. I would not pay more.

I know someone with a 1998/99? Cummings Dodge 4x4 DRW that owes $15,000+ and can't sell the thing because of the above reasons and mileage. All he can do is bury what he owes in a trade in. So, he keeps on fixing it and putting transmissions into it. 212,000 miles and he is on the 5th, I think he did not pay for the first one because it was under warranty. When he bought it new he saved $10,000 over the Ford F-350. At $2500-$3000 for each tranny swap I asked him how much he has saved so far, not counting the injector pump   :D

David B

tell him to get an ATS trans.

Striker

When the auto tranny on a Dodge fails, or before it fails do your homework.There are shops out there that know how to rebuild the Dodge tranny to make it last. Talk to the truck pulling guys, some of them are using autos.

On the manual transmisson Dodges, be prepared to put a good clutch in, that seems to be the weak point. My brother just sold his '96 one ton Dodge. The engine was good and the tranny was good after a proper rebuild.

Jeff

David B

solodan

The 95-97 f-350 were the best years made. $13000 seems like a pretty good deal for a 4x4 crew cab.  I looked  for a while before I found one I wanted. I bought a 95 4x4 LB crewcab with a brand new tranny, 120k on the motor, new 3" super lift,  new BFG 35's, Banks powerpack with the new intercooler, tranny control module, and a few other goodies for $14000.
worth every penny. lots of power. I have friends with the Cummins and though they love em, gas milage is  worse than the 7.3 turbo.

Greg_B.

I got a 2004 f-350 with the 6.0 powerstroke with the edge chip;auto trans with the tow-haul feature on it. i pull an 18 ft. dovetail trailer with a 40 hp tracter with a loader and backhoe with the tires filled with fluid. also have a brimar dump trailer gross cap. 12,500. pulls like nothing i have ever seen i looked at dodge chevy but decided on the ford.thinking about adding a new air intake system and larger pipes on my exhaust. my vote is get a ford you wont regert it. mine is one mean truck as far i am concerned. 8) 8) 8)
Norwood mark 4;4020 Branson Tracter backhoe frt.lder; 18' dovetail trailer;Bri-Mar dump trailer 11,500 gross; Beefed-Up 2004 F-350 diesel; workshop full of woodworking tools. So many toys, eh tools so little time.

Ironwood

I recently upgrade from a 1995 F-350 (18,000 original miles two years ago when I bought it) To a 2000 F-550. Boy I love the Powerstroke. I did swap out the 4.88's for 3.91's and a Detroit Locker  ;D Pricey swap for the monster Dana S135 but 16 MPG highway unloaded. And it is tacking way less in 6th gear. I did put a superchip in on the lowest setting.

THE OLD F-350, WORKING HARD

THE NEW F-550, I SOMETIMES TAKE MY 3 YEAR OLD TO DAYCARE IN THIS!

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

solodan

Ironwood

I like the four doors, but with a 12' bed (my minimum) it looks like and aircraft carrier. The local Catepillar Dealer has a 4 door 550 with 12' beeeeeeeddddd. I would love the space for the little ones and gear. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

solodan

yeah, that's why I got the 4 doors.
when I had a regular cab it just wasn't practical trying to work and then go pick up the kids,or bring the whole family down the hill to pick up some supplies. I know what you mean though,  the 4 doors and the long bed make for a lot of truck, can't even imagine it four feet longer. it doesn't look so long, with a small lift like mine. It also gives you more clearance to avoid getting high centered( something that is always an issue around here with the steep rocky terrain). But then it gives you the height problem with the lumber racks. I drove it to the San Francisco airport and couldn't park in the garage. the garage clearance is only 6'6" or something. but there are definately days I could use that 12' bed.

etat

I  know you're talking about 350's but I've got a late 99 F-250 diesel four wheel drive automatic with high and low range.  Long wheel base extended cab. Almost on a daily basis I  use low range to help take care of the transmission.  Especially moving around slow in yards with lots of pulling up and backing up.  I do a LOT of that, often with a heavily over loaded trailer.

Knowing what I know I wouldn't even think about wanting a manual shift transmission.  You  can shift in and out of four wheel drive on the fly and the  low range will work in either two or four wheel drive.  You do  have  to stop to change from low to high range.  I haven't had  one bit of trouble out of it. 

I used to have a 77 ford f 350 with dual rear wheels and positive traction.  Automatic transmission and a motor that I SWEAR would spin all four of them rear wheels on the pavement  if you romped on it from a standstill.  I never had any trouble with that transmission either though I did have a shift kit put in it one time. It was originally ordered with extra heavy duty rear springs that looked like they came out from under a log truck.  Never seen another like it set up with that heavy a set of rear springs.  That truck was STRONG too but that 460 gas engine was a real  gas hog, you could actually watch the gas hand dropping when you were driving down the road. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

etat

Forgot to add.  :) Once I chained the ole power stroke back to back with a dodge.  About the same year, both diesels, but he had  a manual transmission.  Both his truck and mine was 250's, both with single Axel rear ends. It 'might' have been operator error on his part but somebody said go and by the time he could pop his clutch I was dragging him backwards.  His wheels were spinning forward, but it was kinda cool the way I kept pulling em in he wrong direction he was wanting to go.    ;D   8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

solodan

And I know what you mean about the old gas hogs. I had a 78 f-250 with the 400 in it. That 400 got me about 6 miles to the gallon.  :o

sawguy21

Quote from: solodan on December 11, 2005, 12:08:15 PM
And I know what you mean about the old gas hogs. I had a 78 f-250 with the 400 in it. That 400 got me about 6 miles to the gallon.  :o
And that was on a good day. I had a 74 Meteor wagon with the 400. That barge would pass anything on the road except a gas station.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

etat

I once had a 81 Ford three quarter ton dually with a steel bed that I bought and had the motor rebuilt.  Big block 400, four speed transmission and two barrel carb.  For a truck that thing got pretty good gas millage, course at the time I'd been used to that ole 77 with that 460 in it. 

I put new tires on it all the way around and about a month or so later I was going down the road and smelled something burning just as it lost power.  By the time I coasted to a stop  there was enough electrical fire under the hood that it was just too hot to try to get it up.  Only a few miles out of town and somebody stopped and called the fire department while I was throwing tools out of the back.  Luckily most of my tools were left on another job that my crew was finishing up. 

I didn't throw the tools far enough.  The gas tank finally ruptured, (it 'didn't' blow up and though I've seen several vehicles burn i've never seen a gas tank blow up like on the movies) and that dang burning gas run down a ditch straight for all them saws and stuff I'd just throwed out. 

I was REALLY hoping the fire dept would get there at least in time to put it out before all that happened and the tires caught on fire.  I had brand new ones on it all the way around, all six of them.  Didn't happen.

But I really started squalling, in my heart anyways, when just as I heard the fire engines my 12 ton warn winch on the front bumper started burning up.  Burnt it to a crisp it did.

Of course, didn't have insurance to cover any of it, only collision.  Everything was a total lose.

Went out that night and bought a 87 three quarter ton pickup with single wheel rear end that I kinda had my eye on anyways.  351 Windsor engine and automatic transmission.  Was a good old truck and I drove it for several years.  Finally the motor started going  bad, (never a speck of trouble out of the tranny) and a couple of years ago I gave it to my dad.  He eventually had the motor rebuilt and is still driving it, lots of times he'll go in it instead of his newer dodge.  It's a long wheel base and drives and rides real good even today.   He especially likes it because of the real power steering, you can turn it with one finger unlike the 'power assist' steering they are putting on trucks now.  I still say the 400 that burned got better gas millage than the 351 did.   

etat

Oh, let me tell you what finally happened to the ole 77 one ton flat bed, (it was a short wheel base by the way).   I was going down the road one day and heard a new squeak.  Sounded like it was coming from the rear end, (squeaks, squeals, wind noise, and rattles was pretty common on that ole truck by then .  Well, I kinda figured it was a wheel bearing going bad.  What I 'didn't' know and found out, was once a wheel bearing went out on one of them ole trucks they was liable to loose them wheels axle and all.  Found it out though when it all came unhinged and it set me down, sparks just a flying. 

Oh no though, them dual wheels didn't just run down the road ditch and stop, oh no.  The went until they found a real deep  creek, (luckily the water in it wasn't deep at the time) and they run into that creek and then went right down the middle of it for a LONG ways before they come to a stop.  Only deep ditch around for miles it was.  Yes sir re.  We like to NEVER have got them tires outta that ditch.  Waded down there, me and another guy, rolled em back up the creek and back up that hill.  Whopped us two or three times they did getting em out. 

Got it all back home with the help of a wrecker and spent most of the night one night with a die grinder and a torch and a nine inch grinder putting it all back together. It ruined the threads for the bearings but I finally managed to heat it enough to get the egg shape out of the rear end where it hit and scrubbed against the ground  and ground off enough threads to 'finally' get a nut back on it, and then welded it  so it couldn't come back loose.  Got it back together good enough that I drove that truck for another year before pretty much everything, (engine, brakes, etc) got just tooo worn out to make it reliable. 

Even to the end though never had a lick of trouble out of that automatic transmission.  I don't know what that truck was origionally built for but it was sure heavy duty.  Seems that I remember once finding some paperwork that said it origionally came out of New York but it must not have stayed ther long cause I never had any problems with it rusting out like some of them northern vehicles do. 

Thank You Sponsors!