iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 55 Rancher on Steroids

Started by kenskip1, December 08, 2005, 08:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenskip1

About a month ago I was in a pawn shop. Anyway, I walked out of the shop with a 1999 Husky 55. After a long and through examination including a compression check (168) I found that the saw required a new clutch/chain brake assembly. By the way, I payed $100 for the saw. Well today I got a used one from my local dealer. (Abilene) also A new drive sprocket was installed. I had spent much time on the chain with my trusty file. All rakers were adjusted on this 18 inch bar.I was beguining to wonder if this thing could keep up with my trusty 041.After the carburator adjustments had been made, ( caps have been modified) I let this thing loose on my wood pile.WOW! This thing has more power that I did not think that a small saw would have! The chips went flying! Prior to this my last new saw was back in 1985 when I bought a new 028. I though that saw had muscle. Well this little Husky with a 3/8 chain is now qiuetly sitting in a heated enviroment. The best thing aabout all of this is the parts I replaced only cost $26. and change.Also A new clutch spring was installed .What a deal! I am most impressed with this new saw in my inventory. Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

timberjack240

wow sounds like you made out pretty good thats one of those you turna round and sell for a little profit to but a new one  :D

kenskip1

Timberjack20. Thanks for the reply however I have an idea. My father has been using his trusty Homelite xl12 for the past decade. He is now in his mid 70's. I was thinking of sending him this saw as a Christmas gift. However as stubborn as he is I doubt that he would ever try it. Any suggestions for a father that loves his Homlites?
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong

sawguy21

Any man that age that till packs an XL12 is not to be trifled with. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Max sawdust

Quote from: kenskip1 on December 08, 2005, 10:42:24 PM
My father has been using his trusty Homelite xl12 for the past decade. He is now in his mid 70's. I was thinking of sending him this saw as a Christmas gift. However as stubborn as he is I doubt that he would ever try it. Any suggestions for a father that loves his Homlites?

I have a simular situation :D :D
I am going  to loan my father a small husky for him to "try" a newer technology saw.  Not mention age or that his saw is too big for many of the things he cuts.

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 09, 2005, 05:39:56 AM
Any man that age that till packs an XL12 is not to be trifled with. 8)

And yes respect a man that age that packs a big saw ;)
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Captain

and quite an RPM difference from the 041...eh??

Captain

kenskip1

Captain, This saw must have a  wild camshaft inside.Roller lifter to boot. This saw loves to rev. Sort of like letting the horses have their reigns let loose. Are all newer saws this eager to  wind up? As stated my last new saw was an 028. This saw is in near perfect condition but it cannot hold a candle to this 55.Do Husky's have higher compression than their counter parts? Also, as of now the saw has an 18 inch 3/8 bar and chain. I am thinking about going to a 16 inch bar and chain, then taking the rakers down a knotch. Another question, will this saw take kindly to a porting? I am afraid that I have the Tim Allen syndrone.More power.  Is their an antidote for this? I have already been admiring a 359. Help! Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong

etat

The other day I used my 55 Rancher to quarter up a bull carcas that I had been letting hang a few days or so.  Twas a bit messy but it sure did make quick work of it!   ;D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Ironwood

Yeah, sounds like you've been bittin in the rump. Those marks the Huskies leave are hard to git rid of. Enjoy! Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!