iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RBI Molding Head Question (Balanced Weight)

Started by GF, December 08, 2005, 02:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

I have an RBI planer/molder.  Tshe question I have is that my brother had it in his shop along with the molding cutters and gibs.  When I purchased the cutters they came with gibs that would keep the head balanced, when I went to bring it back all the gibs are in one box and the profile cutters are in seperate ones?  Does anyone know how they determine the weight of the cutter and gib so it will be balanced?  And if so what the combined weight is?  I am guessing that each different profile and gib set would have the same weight when combined together.  Any help is appreciated.

GF

I also forgot to mention the molding head is only sigle slotted for a signle profile cutter.

sawwood

GF i am not quite sure but i think the gibb should weigh the same as the
knife. I may be all wet but seems like in my Woodmaster book it list no
weights fo the single cutterjust for when you use the planer head to
hold the cutters. You might call Woodmaster and ask Mark Redmond at
816 483-0078. They are very help full there.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

FeltzE

GF

Is the RBI using a single knife holder? If so I can weigh some sets of mine and give you some basic numbers.

I've made my own knives for a couple of jobs and made sure I had the knives and gibs weigh the same as an original set with excelent results

Eric

GF

Talked to the manufacturer the other day, the knife and the gibs have to weight 8.0 OZ total.  When the head was machined 8 OZ was what was removed.  I weighed each gib and knife and etched the weight on them.  At least now the machines stays in one spot on the floor. ;D It now does great since they are balanced.

Thanks for the offer FeltzE, I do appreciate it.

Thank You Sponsors!