iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vegemite

Started by Jeff, September 24, 2002, 05:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Before you read this you might want to skip back to this thread to understand what Vegemite is or might be.

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=994728389;start=40

I feel that when a product is introduced on the forestry forum it is our responsibility to make sure it is suitable for our members.

We have finished our testing on Vegemite, and yes we also included animal testing. I know that animal testing is not politically correct in some circles but we wanted to be assured that we were thorough in our trials.
Here are our published results:
(Tester may have mispronounced product name)

The Vegemite Tests  
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Don't tell me.  You find vegemite under UGLY LOGS!! ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

KiwiCharlie

Aw C'mon Jeff,

Now your just ganging up on me!! ;)  At least Ive got one person here on the forum thats willing to give it a go! ;D  Good on you *** (name blanked for fears of retribution and expulsion)
The pronunciation sounded OK to me, by the way.
Cheers
Charlie. ;D
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Bro. Noble

I got to thinking about foods that are particular to our area.  One that came to mind is Chocolate gravy.  As far as I know it is only common in a part of Ozark Co.  Has anyone else heard of this?

On the topic of unusual recipes,  We have a recipe for fixing wild game that takes the wild taste out of the meat.  It even makes antelope palatable.  The recipe came from an old cowboy who had a ranch near our family's sawmill near Pie Town New Mexico in the 40's.  Has some strange stuff in it but turns out a real treat.  If you want it I will try to find the formula.

Kiwi Charlie,

I don't think anyone ever answered your question about V8 juice.  It has the juice from 8 different vegetables, mostly tomato.  I like it really well.

Two of my favorite foods from the past were sour pickles that one of my great aunts used to make and cottage cheese that my grandma made.  In each case,  I liked it the best when you opened the container and couldn't decide whether it was safe to eat or not.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paul_H

Noble,
I gotta ask,what is Chocolate gravy?Is there any Chocolate in it? :-/
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

KiwiCharlie

G'day Noble,

You guys got 'pickled eggs' up your way? ??? ??? .......
And thanks for the V8 info, I thought it was all tomato. ::)
Cheers
Charlie.

Bro. Noble

Paul,
Yes that gravy has chocolate in it.  Some people really like it.

Kiwi,
Back in my earlier life I used to frequent a 'watering hole' that kept pickled eggs on the bar----free for the customers.

Noble

Bibbyman

I don't do much cooking but that's not to say I can't cook.  Meats got to be cooked on a grill or in a cast iron skillet.  

I have my own way of making baked beans.  Along with the usual "ingredaments",  I put in some Hershey's cocoa - the unsweet kind used in cooking.  Everyone always liked my baked beans.  I didn't think this up on my own,  I read someplace that the Indians in south America had used cocoa in many of their recipes so one day I tried it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ADfields

Noble I would love to have your recipes that takes the wild taste out of the meat!   I get more wild meat now than I ever did down south.   Moose is not very gamey but sheep, goat and caribou could use some help at times!

I never herd of Chocolate gravy but if thay just us unsweet cocoa I bet it's not half bad.  

My wife saves the pickl juce and jars and boiles up our extra eggs to put in them for pickled eggs.   Never herd of it till I met her and I like them with a good beer.   Is that what you have down under Charlie?
Andy

Bro. Noble

Paul and Andy,

I think it is cocoa that goes in the gravy.  I'll get both recieps and post them.  Might take a few days.

Noble

Paul_H

Noble,
That would be great,I like chocolate in most any form.I make a thick sauce for my wifes ice cream.I have a bowl too,but without the ice cream :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bro. Noble

Paul,

Now that would be CHOCOLATE GRAVY !

Noble

KiwiCharlie

G'day Andy,

Yep, we can thank the British for the pickled eggs!  Basically boiled eggs, put in a jar with vinegar and some spices, and left for many years!  They are an aquired taste, but if you like em, you LOVE em! ;D
Cheers
Charlie.

ADfields

I dont know that I love them but after some beer I at least like em.   Do you have our nastey old Spam down ther?   We have Turkey Spam now and I do like that but the other is not a good time for me. :-X   My Mom would slice it up and fry it on sunday morning for Spam and eggs. :'( :-X
Andy

Jeff

Ah. spam and eggs. Its been a while. Why does spam cost more then ham? Confused i am about this spam and ham,

Jeff

How did i miss that Bib. YES! You will find the begining of vegemite near the bottom of ugly logs. :D

Bro. Noble

I'll eat about anything, but I'm not sure about something that came from the bottom of ugly logs !

I'm putting the recipe for wild game under a new post.

Noble

KiwiCharlie

G'day Andy,

Yes we have Spam here, but its only a recent thing.  All different types, reduced fat, no salt, turkey etc etc  :o
As a kid we use to get "Black Pudding" and eggs for breakfast!  Anyone know this one??  I dont mind it now, but now I have the choice of eating it.  Makes a difference!!  ;D ;)
I will explain if you dont know this one, I really dont know how international it is.
Cheers
Charlie.

Jeff

If its anything like what my British friends have, its coagulated blood. I know they have blood sausage.

Bro. Noble

Blood Pudding?

One of my old timer neighbors was telling about a cardgame he had gone to.  It was common for the guys to bring along snacks and beverages to share.  One guy brought some blood pudding.  After the guys found out what it was  (except for Ocie who was a deaf mute) they were a little hesitant to try it.  A late comer asked "whats that" When told, he asked if it was fit to eat.  The response was that Ocie ate some and didn't say a word of complaint.

Noble

KiwiCharlie

G'day Jeff,

Yep, you got it.  A short, thick stumpy sausage shape made from blood.  Sliced and fried. Mmmm, Mmmm! :o
I think they call it black pudding to make it sound, at least, as if its normal. ;D
Cheers
Charlie.

RobK

I've had chocolate gravy. My grandmother would make it sometimes on request. I think it's made throughout the South.  When I was a kid, once my grandmother made grape gravy at my request. Ugh... I also eat pickled eggs some. Just picked up a jar of pickled quail eggs on my way home through Alabama.  

-Rob
-Rob

Bro. Noble

I've asked several people for a reciepe for chocolate gravy.  They gave various answers but all used cocoa-----from a teaspoon to a tablespoon to a cup of milk and flower gravy or white sauce.  White sauce is milk and flower gravy made with butter rather than meat grease.

Noble

Tom

I've now eaten most of the Vegemite that Charlie sent to me and have to admit it kinda grows on you.  It is definitely a foreign taste.  Its kinda like spreading a beef boullion cube on a piece of toast.  I've put what is left of the tube in my truck along with some saltines so I can have a snack with some "taste" while in the woods.

Now I've started on the Marmite.  It is sweeter although sweet isn't the word I would use to describe it.  It taste pretty much like vegemite but milder and I  can eat larger quantities at once.  

DanG, your comment about grits made me try it. Actually it is pretty good. I was reminded of Red-eye Gravy and it could pass if you weren't paying too much attention.  It doesn't take much of this stuff to flavor anytning. A small bottle would last me a lon-n--n--g time.  It's not a foul tasting food product to me as some of the others have indicated.  It definitely is a taste to become acquired.

Yeah, a beef boullion cube used like mayonaisse might be close.

I've really enjoyed it though and, even more, have enjoyed the offer and attention that I've gotten from Kiwi Charlie.  Isn't it great how computers have made the world so small?  We can find friends anywhere it seems.

KiwiCharlie

G'day Tom,

Good on you for giving it a go.  Your very right about the Marmite, you can get much more on your toast before 'taste bud overload' !! :o :D
Now, I wonder if the boss is willing to try his after your glowing testimonials?? ???
I just got back from the farm last night, plenty of work to be done there. Plenty of Marmite to keep my strength up!  ;)
Cheers
Charlie.

Thank You Sponsors!