iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help!!! Tongue and Fork Joint on Rafters

Started by Joel Eisner, December 07, 2005, 10:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Eisner

:P 

I finished the girts with their multitude of joints and now it is off to 5 sets of rafters.  I was working on the first bladed scarf joint.  They are 8x8 SYP timbers with a bladed joint at the peak of each bent.  The blade portion (tennon) is 2 inch thick and centered on the corresponding rafter. 

What is th best way to get the material out of the other rafter where the blade is going to fit (mortise).  I do not have a 2 inch auger bit and with a diagonal cut through the timber it is a long way to chisel out. 

What about cutting the sides of the mortise with a circular saw/ hand saw and and then remove the majority of the waste with an elec chain saw, with final clean up using a long chisel and slick?

Any other ideas?
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

Jim_Rogers

I believe you're using all the wrong terms.
First of all a joint that joins two timbers at the ridge isn't a scarf joint.
A scarf joint joins two timbers that are in line with each other from end to end.
A "blade" as you're calling it is the tenon or the tongue if you're doing a tongue and fork joint.
The mortise is called a fork if it's open to the end of the timber, it's called a mortise if it stops before the end.

As to the method of removing the wood in the center of the mortise/fork your method is ok to do.

Normally we do bore a hole at the end of the mortise/fork and saw down each side of the open fork to this hole to remove the most wood by the easiest method.

Then pare to the line with a slick or wide chisel.

Trim as needed to fit pair together.

Good luck with your project.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

ARKANSAWYER

When cutting out a fork you can use a smaller drill bit.   You can take a 3/4 drill bit and go down each side of the fork.  Cut in each side with a chisel and you should be able to snap off the piece of wood.  Then clean up the middle.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!