iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WHOPPER OAKS

Started by Ironwood, December 06, 2005, 09:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Now that I have learned to post pictures I thought I would share some photos of huge oaks here on our property and my 40' by 60" chainsaw mill soon to be converted to electric. This all occured in the summer of 1998. I built the mill to make a 36' x 5" thick single slab bartop for a spa in Farmington Pa. The owner's of 84 lumber commissioned the work for Nemacolin Woodlands Resort and Spa.  My wife is sitting at the base of the windfall in the first picture with our shepard right in front of her.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Radar67

Nice fabricating Reid!! That's a sho nuf nice tree. I need a few of those.  ;D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ohsoloco

Reid, I didn't think that oak looked very big until you pointed out that someone was sitting on it  :o  Is that the tree you made the bar top from?  And how do you dry a hunk of wood that large  ???

Nice pics

Part_Timer

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Ironwood

They are both Reds, and the bottom of the slab was hollowed out to accomadate a 1000# steel ladder frame work and expidite drying process. 4 months from the photos to delivery as a finished product (I love to prove people wrong who say something can't be done) ;D   It took two crawlers and 1"cable to drag the logs out of the forest.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ohsoloco

All I can say is DanG  ;D

Some day I'd like to make it over your way and see some of your "stuff", I'm hoping it will inspire me  :)

pigman

A big snow storm must have hit Pa. ::) All I see is white with the awful Red X

Edit: Must be a heat wave, the snow melted and the pictures are back. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ohsoloco

wha-chew talkin' 'bout pigman  ??? :-\

Radar67

Hey Pigman, you think da boss is messin with him?  :D :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dan_Shade

did you put finish on that bar, reid?  what did you do about cracking? or did it not crack?

you have any pictures of the finished product?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Woe! Where are the pictures??  Reid, once you upload photos and use them in a post you CANT delete them!

You can edit your own post. You need to re-upload the photos then fix the post.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Quote from: Radar67 on December 06, 2005, 10:30:40 PM
Hey Pigman, you think da boss is messin with him?  :D :D

THe "bossman" does not mess when it comes to photos.  Some how Reid must have deleted his photos from the gallery.

Ironwood

Dan, Yes I did put a varnish finish on it and you always get some checking with monster slabs but it wasn't catastraphic. The project held up extremely well over the years.

Sorry about that my fault, Reid

Jeff

SIGH OF RELIEF     ;)

Thanks Reid  :)

woodbowl

Reid, are those trusses you've got there for the track? If so, does it give a straight cut?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

VA-Sawyer

Quote from: Jeff B on December 06, 2005, 10:35:04 PM
The "bossman" does not mess when it comes to photos.

Yea, Right!  Tell that to Noble, Ian, and a few others. Maybe you don't mess with the photos in the body of the posts, but you do tend to play with some photos. :)

Ironwood

Woodbowl,

Yes , they are flat roof trusses. All I can say is that the slab was flat as a pancake and I thought I would have to mount a planer head and trolly it down to clean up the milling marks.............all I had to do was belt sand and it was ready for finish. There must be something about the chain going 14,000 rpm ;D that helps (love my huskies)

Reid

TN_man

Reid,
Who do you market those slabs to? What would the end product be? Are you able to use every slab or just ones from particular parts of the log and if so which parts work best?
Sorry for all the questions, but we are considering getting a slabber and have alot of questions about the justification of such an expenditure.
Thanks for the pics 8)
Jeff
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Ironwood

Well, I would give you my customer list.............but ;D. Like any market it takes years to establish. It is not a volume market so don't expect a quick turn around on your capital. I try to use every piece. You will need some large equipment to handle the bigons. I have an 8000lb rough terrain forklift, kiln, 52" planer, and loads of roller beds. My new shop will have several cranes on the columns or on the vertical I-beams.

Reid

Jeff

Quote from: VA-Sawyer on December 07, 2005, 12:18:36 AM
Yea, Right!  Tell that to Noble, Ian, and a few others. Maybe you don't mess with the photos in the body of the posts, but you do tend to play with some photos. :)

You really need to know the whole story. You might ask them. :)  They will probably lie, but there is more to it then meets the eye.

Lud

We get some big stuff here at the plants and have the equipment to handle it.  When it's "really" big ,  we refer to it as bein'  "John Wayne sized". 

Them's some "John Wayne sized" slabs!    8) 8) 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Ga_Boy

Ried,

Did you kiln dry the table top slab?  Or did you loet it air dry for a while then apply the finish.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Ironwood

Ga. boy

If'in it was 4 months I would of had to dry in a kiln, at least up here (just kidding, anywhere) I spent a couple thousand dollars just pay the electric bill for that project :o

Reid

Thank You Sponsors!