iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's wrong with this picture?

Started by Don P, December 06, 2005, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

A pack of this showed up on my job, came from a pretty good sized lumber supplier. Do you see what caught my eye? Any claimers?  :D.

isawlogs

I do remember a while back, having a little talk here on stamps ...  Maybe someone went ahead and did make one ...  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Radar67

Would it be the pith line below the stamp?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Tom

I see several things that tend to make it unofficial but most are nit-picking.

The #2 I've seen is just #2 and not BTR
The Better abbreviation is BTR not Btr.
There is no surfacing information and the product is surfaced.
I've not seen kiln dry written K/D but rather KD with a moisture percentage
The grading association isn't listed to identify the stamp or the mill

I don't know what caught your eye but I'd sure like to hear.  :)

Don P

Yup, y'all got it
Its a bootleg stamp.
The "pith line" you're seeing Stew is a shadow on a larger than normal eased edge.
When we were carrying it in it just didn't feel right. I commented on it and the driver said that the other carpenters were complaining about it, its hard to line up when you're framing. That's when I looked at the stamp and had to chuckle, no grading agency mark. Tom you saw more than I did. I showed him a real stamp and told him to let him their buyer know that the inspectors are probably on the prowl.

While I had the camera out I took some shots of the worst "looking" knot I saw. Its ugly but just a shell knot displacing under 1/3 of the section. It's still a #2, the stuff was on grade as far as I was concerned.

This is the wide face;

One edge;

The other edge;

I'll sit back and see what happens at the framing inspection  ;) ;D

Tom

It's just my personal opinion but, if it's on grade and there is no cheating going on,  I'm in favor of it being acceptable.

The Stamp could probably be done a little better but this is an example of Big Business with a Big Hammer capable of destroying competition.  I would like it better if it had the guys name on it or something. :)

Don P

Agreed, its on grade so if anything is said I'll be backing him up (whoever he is). I'm jealous, our local wood sticks out like a sore thumb, sure wish we had syp or spf around here, you'd probably see K/drp  :D

Tom

you're already on the way to be recognized as an inspector, aren't you?  Well, not an inspector but a judge of grades.

You might be more help to this guy than you could image. :)

Isn't SYP grown in your area?  Documentation shows Loblolly growing from N.J. to Fl to Texas and in 14 states.  I know it is more prominant in the southern coastal states.  I just thought y'all had it too

extrapolate85

That is a strange looking eased-edge. It almost looks like a piece of pattern stock.

solodan

Quote from: Tom on December 06, 2005, 10:03:38 PM
It's just my personal opinion but, if it's on grade and there is no cheating going on,  I'm in favor of it being acceptable.

The Stamp could probably be done a little better but this is an example of Big Business with a Big Hammer capable of destroying competition.  I would like it better if it had the guys name on it or something. :)

I agree with Tom( but then again I usually do)
On grade is on grade. lots of people are capable of making these decisions within the guidelines. I  feel more comfortable with alot of the people on this board grading lumber than some of the grading agencies out there. lets start our own. ???

ronwood

soodan,

I believe Frank_Pender was or is trying to start on up. I remember some post in the past on this subject.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

VA-Sawyer

I think it should be called the FFGG as in ForestryForum Grading Group.

Thank You Sponsors!