iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logger Movies

Started by SkidrowJoe, December 06, 2005, 08:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkidrowJoe

What is the name of the movie with Paul Newman were he is logger going through rough times........... etc trying to rescue another cutter stuck under a log as the water is rising.  It's been a long time does anyone know the name?
The stumps of today are the ceilings of tomorrow.

SkidrowJoe

Is it "Sometimes a Great Notion"?
The stumps of today are the ceilings of tomorrow.

Paul_H

Link

Yes it is and here is a link with a link inside the link

Another logging movie with some highleading was a Timbertramps starring Claude Aikens(Sherrif Lobo). The movie was more of a romp than a drama but did have a few good logging scenes.

Warning,I haven't seen that movie for 20 years so all bets are off
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Rick R

Sometimes A Great Notion -  I saw that movie many years ago. The chainsaw didn't run too good after it got wet. What kind of saw was it ?

Tillaway

Some times a great notion... mandatory viewing for all of us out west working in the woods.  You would not believe the number of folks out here that own their own copy of that movie.  Lets just say I can borrow a copy any old time. 

I drive by the "movie house" a few times a year.  Yep, the "Stamper" family home used in the movie.  It is occupied and looks as good as ever.  The water scenes were filmed on the Siletz river just about an hours drive south of me.  Other scenes were shot up and down the coast.

That saw was an old Mac I think.  Popular at the time the film was shot.

I found a good link a while back while trying to find a copy to buy.  It was about one of the loggers hired on to be an actor, he even still has his SAG card, it explained that most of the parts were actually played by local loggers, even speaking parts, since actors from hollywood could not do the allot of the "acting" when they were actually yarding logs.  He mentions in particular a scene where the chaser unhooks a choker on the landing.  How it was done could only be pulled off by real chaser and good yarder engineer.  The fight scene on the beach was suppose to be just "acting" but he said it felt like a fight to him. ;D
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Jeff

Over seas it was retitled to "Never give an inch"  I have the book laying on my end table.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Onthesauk

Saw a little blurb in the paper yesterday.  Film was made 35 years ago.  Talked about the town down in Oregon where it was filmed.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Thank You Sponsors!