Tom

Sawing at the little airports around here
provides a lot of entertainment.

See the mill and lumber under the shed?
We actually do saw sometimes.  :D

Switch Off!

Brakes ?  Contact!

Kirk_Allen

I sure would like to have the Super Cub ;D   I would put balloon tires on it for the summer and skies for the winter and have the ultimate hunting plane for Alaska  8)

Murf

Now that's just down-right mean.   :'(

The only thing green at my airport right now is a Cessna 205 parked in one of the hangars.  :(

I've spent the last three days cleaning up white stuff, and they're calling for another 8" of it (lake effect streamers) between now & Thursday morning.

But Saturday is supposed to be a beauuuutiful day and I'm gonna get behind the stick and spend some time converting some fossil fuel into expensive air turbulence & noise.  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

crtreedude

Everything I make a drive down to the finca over about 13 kilometers of river rock road I think about something that flies!

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Murf

That's funny, everytime I fly to the cottage, which is 20 minutes by air, I look down at the folks lined up on the highway (it would take me about 1.75 hours with no traffic to drive) and think, why don't they fly?  :D

crtreedude

How much are we talking for something that is relatively safe and can hold 2 people?

asy

Andy's brother is building a plane, it's an RV8.

A kit plane made in USA.

IT's looking really cool!!!

I love flying with him, he's just the best pilot. We usually go up in a Cessna hired from the aero club.

I especially love taking photos from up there.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

sprucebunny

Asy, I don't believe that you took a photo ;D You had better show us one :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Murf

Fred, I don't know about your area, but up here in Cannuckistan, an ultra-light would be about US$20k used, or $30k new, a 'real' airplane, you could start at about US$50k for a decent used one, and the sky is the limit, literally, for a new'ish one.

For where you are and mostly just personal transport, a Cub or Super Cub, maybe a small Cessna if you don't mind parting with a few extra Colones.

The big advantage with where you are an ultra light or some very light plane would give you would be STOL or close to it, Short Take Off & Landing.

Some can be wheels up in 175 feet and need not much less than double that for landing. You would of course want a longer space than that, for the "ooopsey factor".   :o

Kirk_Allen

My dream plane is a Beave on Floats with a 300 hp turbo prop.  Unfortunatly I think I am going to have to settle for a Super Cub with big tires and a set of skis. 

crtreedude

You have an hombre being sorely tempted down here.

Given that from the entrance of one farm to the back is a kilometer - I think I just might have enough space to land and take off...

The pasture in front of the house is about 5 acres. ... I suspect my horse Toro might not be to happy with a giant hawk coming in...  ::)

A little more difficult at the second one - but the road is fine to it.

asy

Quote from: sprucebunny on December 06, 2005, 04:41:49 PM
Asy, I don't believe that you took a photo ;D You had better show us one :D

Oookay, since ya asked...

GReg Flying:

THe Brisbane River running:

Farms:

Wivenhoe Dam:

asy :D

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

L. Wakefield

Beautiful, beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing. lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

crtreedude

I think you all have started something - where would I go to get more information? Also, is there such a thing a sport helicopters? One to two seater is all I need. I am a little afraid (not enough to matter) of heights, my wife has absolutely none.

The issue is this - the road to the first finca is pretty rough because of the river rock and my wife has had neck problems, so I have to go really slow for her if she is going to visit - she likes to visit the finca - but the road she just can't take.

I am thinking air is really smooth - and she loves to fly, in fact, she loves when there is turrbulance in a plane too! She says it doesn't feel like flying if you can feel anything.  ::)

sawguy21

The Robinson R-22 might be just dandy for your needs except there is no place to put yer lunch with two aboard. :D The southwest ranchers use them for finding cattle. They can do in a few hours what would take days on a horse. I imagine that would be a advantage on the huge Australian ranches as well.  They also have the R-44 four seater which is used a lot here on seismic exploration for moving tool bags and crews. It is a 6 cylinder piston popper that's a lot cheaper to buy and maintain than the turbine jobs.
Asy, those are great pictures. That is a lot of fun. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

GREAT pictures, Asy, thanks  8)

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

crtreedude

The Robinson R-22 looks pretty cool - and Amy could keep the lunch on her lap - it would balance us out a little - I am 200 lbs, she is about 114

It is probably a few years in the future - but it sure looks interesting. One nice thing in the tropics, we don't get a lot of wind, and we don't get freak storms. You can see the rain coming, so you can just land for a bit - wait for an hour, and then go on.

Right now, I enjoy the drives to the farm, but this would sure shorten it in the future.

Fla._Deadheader

Find a good source of Balsa, and we can build sumpin  ;) ;) ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

I have balsa all over the place - it is considered a weed tree down here.  8)

3584ELK

:-\ Not sure I should tread here, but what the heck.  I am an FAA Inspector (Airworthiness) currently assigned to the General Aviation Unit in my office.  I have over 20 Repair Stations and numerous Pilot schools and Charter operators.  If you have questions about Light Sport I will try to help.   Nice pics, BTW!

crtreedude

I figure when the time comes to have a helicopter (probably go that way) I will find someone who can teach me and invite them down for a Costa Rican vacation.  ;)

We can spend the time flying around paradise...

Tom

Hey Elk!!   You're a member.  You're not treadin'    You can shuffle along in here anywhere you like.  :)

Tom

This was flown down from Illinois, I think. 
It arrived while I was sawing one evening
at an hour before dark.  The fellow who
piloted it didn't want to stop so he shot
several landings and flew around some
to show the plane off.  I'll bet he had
saddle sores.  :D

3584ELK

Thanks Tom, however I am fully aware of some folks' idea regarding the FAA or the Gubmint (well deserved).   Mostly trying to make myself useful rather than look over anyone's shoulder.    ;D

DanG

Now, Fred, you know me as one of the layed-backest guys on the planet.  But you have done gone and found one of the few subjects where I'm downright anal...aviation safety.  I'd be the last one on the face of the earth to discourage you from owning and flying your own 'copter, but I couldn't sleep tonight if I didn't tell you what it takes to operate one of them things safely.  First, it is not an easy machine to operate.  It takes study, instruction, and a whole lot of practice just to get it to do what you want, and that's when things are going good.  Then, there's all the things that can go wrong to be dealt with.  Each one of these things isn't hard to figure out, but you don't get any figuring time in a chopper.  Your responses must be automatic and almost instant, and that takes a lot more time to develope.  Uncle Sam sent me to school for 9 months, gave me access to all the aircraft I could imagine, and 210 hours of excellent instruction.  That 210 hours was just the air time.  I had several times that invested in classroom instruction, as well.  Finally, Uncle said I was qualified, pinned some wings on my chest and sent me to Vietnam.  The very first thing I learned there was...I didn't know how to fly! :o :o  It took another 4 months and about 400 hours of air time as a "Peter Pilot" before I was ready to command my own aircraft.

Now, you won't likely be subjected to the conditions that I had to face, but it will take a whole lot more than a few weekends of a friend's time and generosity to make you a competent pilot.

As I said, I don't want to discourage you, but you need to know what you might be getting into.  Fixed wing flying is a lot easier to learn and more forgiving, unless you lose your engine over the jungle.  In a fixed wing airplane, you're just dead, period.  In a chopper, you have a fair chance.  I'll tell ya how to do that, someday. ;) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!