iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You don't get any better than grits

Started by Skytramp, December 04, 2005, 10:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skytramp

HI Guys;
     I keep Readin about grits.  My Dad was from Arkansas and My Mother was from Alabama, it wasn't breakfast without grits.  Back when I was a kid,(fiftys) We would take a trip every so often back to Alabama to visit relatives.  Breakfast was planed into our trip.  We would get up early,( three oclock in the morning)( We live in southern Missouri, right on the Arkansas line, not far from Mammoth Springs Arkansas)  We would arrive in MayWood Mississippi just in time for breakfast.  There was a restrant there named Shoats Cafe, an older couple ran it.  They served the absolute best Ham  that you ever ate, and anything ordered for breakfast came with a big dallop of grits, not the quick kind, real grits and they had a big puddle of real butter right in the middle, also the price for this feast was always exceptionally reasonable.
     One morning they were not as busy as usual and I guess Mr Shoats recognized us and came and sat down at our table.  My Dad complimented him on his ham and he related this story to us.
     He said that he traded for those hams over in Kentucky and the Carolinas.  He said that he knew some Hill People over there that Raised killed and cured those hogs ie Hams.  Apparently their main business was making Whiskey.  He said that when the weather and signs was right all the neighbors would gather at one of their homes and they would kill hogs, put up the meat--- and get drunk.  The next day or whenever they would meet at someone elses house and kill hogs, put up meat--- and get drunk, ect,ect, he said that everyone there either owned or had part interest in a still.  He said that it took a long time to get them to trust him enough to deal with him, and  That you couldn't buy all the hams that they had.  If they sold you all of them they would spend the money and wouldn't have anything to trade on, so he would have to gather them up two or three here and there and over there untill he had enough to last a while(  wonder what the FDA would say about that now, ha) He also said that he was a traveling salesman for a number of years and could never find a decent resturant that served enough to eat at a reasonable price, hence his reason for running his business the way he did.  We stopped there for many years eating breakfast going and lunch on the way back.  They were allways reasonably busy and the only ones that I ever saw working were Mr Shoats and his wife.  Even after they bypassed MayWood we would continue to stop and they were as busy as ever, then one day we came through and the place was boarded up.
     Thanks for letting me share this one more trip down memory lane, standing up in the seat of that old Fraser car between my parents, no seat belt, no FDA, no a lot of things.
Skytramp;

I KNEW LIFE WAS GETTING TOO FAST WHEN I FOUND OUT THAT YOU COULD MICROWAVE MINUTE RICE;
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

Jeff

How come all you southern guys talk like foghorn leghorn? ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

Same reason you Yankees all talk like Peter Pan. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Not sure what a yankee is or who peter pan is. Careful there DanG, yer a collard green guy remember...

Jeff

I got more southern blood in me then some I dare say.  Momma and all her kin were from south of Charleston West Virginia.  McClures.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 04, 2005, 10:44:52 PM
DanG, some of em sound like Daffey Duck 8)

awlful thing to say about yer neighbors.

DanG

I say I say, I'm really a grits guy, ya know.  I likes collards, too.  Just finished getting outside of a bowl of'em. ;D 8) ;D 8)  Gotta eat dem collards up 'cause the rutabegas is jist about ready.  Done et all the brocolli.  I say I say a feller's gotta have some grits ta go along wit all dis, dis I say greens.  Hooooo, Lawd what I say, I say, dem greens keep ya runnin cross da back yard all night witout dem grits. :o :o :o

West Virginia you say?  The hilly part?  Why, I say, that ain't hardly in the South, South I say.  Well, just barely, anyway.  That's way, way I say up in the Northern part of the South.  Almost don't count. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Jeff

Skytramp, welcome to the "other side" of the forestry forum. ;)   No offence meant to what may or may not appear in certain parts of the forum from time to time. ;D

CHARLIE

'Cause g r i t s, I say, g r i t s is always worth mentioning more than once.  Mention hashbrowns once and dat's enough!! :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

brdmkr

G.rits!  They are good eats.  In fact, they are soooooo good that there is a saying that I have heard a good bit.   It deals with g.rits being groceries ;D.  You might use the phrase like this.  If sawmilling aint fun, then g.rits aint groceries!  You'll find all sorts of use for that one.

P.S. Glad I hit preview on this one.  Jeff done been playing some!  Don't think I have ever used the term frankfer... aw I'll just spell it this way grits
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

Hot Dog!  I love frankfurters, too.  Ya ever been to a supermarket, Jeff?  Y'all got dem up dere yet? ???  If ya ever get into one, look in the weenie department and see if'n ya see any Gwaltney hot dogs.  Then look back in yer records and see what the G on the end of DanG stands for.  Yep, I LOVE frankfurters. ;D :D :D :D  Bacon, too!  I LOVE bacon! It goes really good with grrits, grrits I say!

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bro. Noble

Now you guys are all talking like yankees ::)   I'll bet 'frankfurters' didn't appear on the menu at Shoats Cafe :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

Nawp, probbly not, but I hear they sell'em in convenience stores up north.

;D :D :D :D

Bro. Noble

Skytramp,  I been to Mamouth Springs before -----nice little park there at the springs.

My brother and I took a trip East one time.  We visited the springs and the caboose and both of us bought a guitar  at a music store in Thayer or Kosh----I can't remember which it was.  That was back when I got around a lot more ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

Quote from: DanG on December 04, 2005, 11:04:51 PM
Nawp, probbly not, but I hear they sell'em in convenience stores up north.

;D :D :D :D

Those are not frankfurters or hotdogs, they are "THE WEINERS OF DEATH"

DanG

:D :D :D :D

I'm goin' ta bed.  Gotta sleep off them collards, collards I say! :D :D

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sprucebunny

Bratwurst ...the good stuff is my favorite and kielbasa is good, too ;D ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

CHARLIE

Yeah, Brats are good but dey ain't no breakfast food.  Grits  is great for breakfast and supper too.  Nothing much as good as fried fish 'n Grits fer supper!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

beenthere

Charlie
Ve in Visconsin hav da bratvursts for breakfast, yah!
And sometime some brusky to wash it down at breakfast too!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodbowl

Bratwurst is one yankee German food that I could eat till I wuz pokin' out side ways! Some Yankee friends of mine in Wisconsin decided to feed me Bratwurst on the grill. Haven't been the same since.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

chet

Quote from: CHARLIE on December 04, 2005, 11:27:47 PM
Yeah, Brats are good but dey ain't no breakfast food. G r i t s is great for breakfast and supper too. Nothing much as good as fried fish 'n G r i t s fer supper!

Charlie,
Don't furgit, you live in Wisconsin now.  ;)  You talk bad about Bratwurst and yer Cheesehead brethren will gitch ya.  :D  :D  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

OneWithWood

DanG!  Breakfast ain't hardly wore off and y'all are making me h-u-u-ng-ery agin'  :o ::)

Brats and beer for breakfast.  Yeah, beenthere, done that, will do it again  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Don P

Skytramp, did your buddy ever mention that those hogs were happy accomplices, suuuuweeet  :D :D ;D.

Umm, or so I've been told.

I gotta admit brats probably came down from above, thats good eatin.

Skytramp

To Don P
     No but a guy once explained the difference in, involved and committed.
He said that in a ham and egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed.
     Sounds like some aquaintances of mine, the chicken, that is;
Skytramp;
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

Don P

Engineer

We got a box of grits near the basement door.    Makes good traction on the ice.

We got the G in DanG bacon here too.  Good stuff, eh?

DanG

Jon, I think the original Gwaltney Meat Shop is still in old Williamsburg.  Gotta be one of the oldest businesses in the country.  That set of Gwaltneys don't admit no kin to this set down here, though. :-\

crtreedude

Down South the chicken is committed too - in the sodas we have fried chicken for breakfast!

I mean the REALLY deep South.

(Any new person - check where I live, unless we get a member who lives in Panama - you aren't getting much further South)  ::)

SkyTramp, I looked and you are about 200 miles from where I was born. Diamond MO. But, I got hijacked to the North when I was 7 years old.

You all have seen that most discussions dive toward the food after a couple of pages, but I have never seen a food thread dive to sawing - EVER.

Are you sure we haven't ended up creating a food forum? Or perchance like my workers - they will only work so long without heading for the feedbag...

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!