iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

AutoCAD LT 2000 and XP

Started by DouginUtah, December 03, 2005, 07:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

I know some of you guys use AutoCAD and I hope you can help me print a "print to file" plot.

I have AutoCAD on a computer which is not hooked up to the printer I wish to use. I can plot my drawing to a file and carry it to the computer with the right printer. Then I use:

COPY  D:\Data\House2.plt  LPT1: /B  at the XP command line (MS-DOS).

But XP or DOS says it needs to know what the source program is that created the plot file, and it doesn't know anything about AutoCAD.

Is there any way to plot this to the right printer?

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Modat22

Quote from: DouginUtah on December 03, 2005, 07:16:49 PM

I know some of you guys use AutoCAD and I hope you can help me print a "print to file" plot.

I have AutoCAD on a computer which is not hooked up to the printer I wish to use. I can plot my drawing to a file and carry it to the computer with the right printer. Then I use:

COPY  D:\Data\House2.plt  LPT1: /B  at the XP command line (MS-DOS).

But XP or DOS says it needs to know what the source program is that created the plot file, and it doesn't know anything about AutoCAD.

Is there any way to plot this to the right printer?

-Doug

Wow I used to do this a LONG time ago. Your copy command should work if your at the command prompt in XP I used to use "copy d:\data\house2.plt prn"

If that doesn't work for you, You might try this. Download a free print to pdf program and install it on the acad lt machine. Plot the file to the pdf device. This will make a pdf file that you can view, print, etc on any machine that has adobe reader installed.
remember man that thy are dust.

Gilman

I think you can also use edrawings from Solidworks.  It's a free drawing viewer.  You would have to open the dwg with edrawings, save it as an edrawing (it's good at compressing drawing files) and then open it on the other computer with edrawings. 
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

SwampDonkey

Doug do you have a postscript printer or have Ghostscript installed? I'm afraid your printer is not going to recognize that file format unless it is postscript capable. The .plt files that Autocad exports to file are postscript files. Try

print /d:lpt1 D:\Data\House2.plt

Ghostscript, a Postscript Interpretor
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Modat22

DouginUtah, have you got copy of the drawing file? If so I could try to save it as a pdf for you and email it back. If your interested in trying msg me.
remember man that thy are dust.

raycon

Like the others said if you have the print driver on the ACAD LT machine you use that to generate your print file then "sneaker net" on over to the other PC and use that command to print.
You can try it with a print job from any application to prove it out.
Lot of stuff..

DouginUtah

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 

I was hoping there might have been a simple command line solution.

At this point I guess it would be easier for me to physically carry the printer to the Acad computer and plot away.

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

SwampDonkey

I used to write Plans using a page layout program that used GEM graphics. I'de save the document as a postscript document and take it to a PC and use that command to download and print the file. It would take an hour for it to process and print 3 or 4 pages on an NEC Postscript printer with 2 megs ram.  ::) The days of Windows 3.11. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

VK540_1

I use to print plot files like that a long time ago. But there are easier ways now. A free utility called goplot from www.output.tmfweb.nl should do what you want or you could plot .dwf files from autocad and download the free dwf viewer from www.autodesk.com. You can view autocad drawings and print them for free using this viewer. Hopes this helps.

Thank You Sponsors!