iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dendrochronology

Started by jeff, May 02, 2001, 06:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Or simply tree ring dating. I had heard about this, how the dendrochronologists can take samples of lumber from old homes or structures and dating the year the lumber was cut. Sometimes going back thousands of years.

Here is an excellent website to show you how they do it. Tree Ring Dating
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RavioliKid

That is [glow=color,strength,width]SO COOL[/glow]! 8)
RavioliKid

Tom

I understand that the University of Florida is big in this.  I have been tempted to send them a piece of the cypress I cut on occassion.

Loggers will run over logs that are 7-8 ft. beneath the muck in the bottom of the swamps.  They pull them out if they can and and are usually given some to bring home.

I've had the opportunity to saw them and it is quite an experience.  Unlike the stories of submerged logs, these are generally shook pretty bad and smell to high heaven. They are all heart and if dried slowly the good wood comes out like it was just cut.  The smell goes away.

I would sure like to know the age because the tops of the logged trees left in the swamps in the 1800's are still on the top of the ground or partially buried under the water.

These that are so deep must be from a time before this country was discovered and are wind blown.  There are no logging marks and most are in lengths too long to have been handled by a logger.

I picture some prehistoric man hopping from one to the other to get across the pond.  My imagination is kind of screwy at times.
 :)

RavioliKid

That is really interesting!

There is a temple in Tikal, Guatemala (ancient Mayan site) that has a lintel in it that is supposedly original to the building. I wonder when it was cut?

Then, again, I think the tour guides make up a lot of their "facts".

;D
RavioliKid

Tom

Could be they make a lot of it up but the fact remains that wood has been there a long time.  I wonder how they did it?  They didn't have all these college educated ghuru's to "grade" that stuff then and by golly there it is in 2101.  

I guess nobody told them that they couldn't do that.

It's funny how much stuff you can get done when you are ignorant.

What do they say?, 9 out of ten people will tell you why you can't do something and most folks quit before they find the 10th.

That would be an interesting thing to do...raise some kids that believe they can.

Thank You Sponsors!