iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have you been bitten yet...

Started by Paschale, December 03, 2005, 01:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

...by some snow snakes?  Now that winter's finally here, have you seen signs of them yet in your neck of the woods?  Maybe when some of you were out deer hunting there were some tracks to be seen.

Let us know!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Burlkraft

Yup.....Here in Norhtern Southern Wis.

Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Hard to track'm here, the snow went away.  :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

etat

Well I wish you'd KEEP em up North like they're supposed to be.  Snow or not!    They're not often seen around here but once I was stumbling my way over a pile of lumber when I was building my house and one of the little beggars bit me right on the ash!   :'(   Thank guard they're not real poisonous but  when they do bite they HURT!   
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

beenthere

When they bite, you want to keep your composure and 'upright' posture, so's not to be embarrassed in front of anyone. Sometimes its impossible, and you just pick up the pieces and try to find where that snake disappeared to. They are hare to see, and I've yet to see a track.   They are sneaky and come outta nowhere.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tnlogger

ck are you sure dat yopper didn't sneak done there with some eggs so it would grow and bite yer on yer ash.
gene

Furby

I got bit the other night, right out side the back door. :'( Gonna be a long winter if they are already hanging around the doors. :-\

My brother had an encounter with one a week ago, a BIG one! :o
Spun his car in circles and off the road into a parked van.  :o I went looking for it but didn't find it, it would have been a true trophy class one!

Modat22

no snow yet. I hope it snows so much it shuts louisville ky down for a couple days.
remember man that thy are dust.

Fraxinus

I think the snow snakes must have et up all the snow fleas because I haven't seen any for years.  One time some years ago the whole front yard right in front of my house was black with them.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

chet

Dem Snow Snakes can be elusive little buggers. I thought I got a pic of one last year, but when I developed da film dis is all I got. DanG dem critters is fast.  :-\

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

isawlogs

Chet ..
  Your a lucky man  I think that is one of the only shots of the snow snake shadow that I ever have seen . I have to see if any are out yet , but I really dont want to find out ... or go looking for them .

Would you mind if I copied that and printed it for my album .  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

chet

Marcel,
Yer welcome ta copy it, but it is in da forum archives. I still can't beleave I was dat DanG close ta gittin' a pic. I could have been famous.  :-\   :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

isawlogs

Chet

I want a hard copy .. I know of people that dont beleave in um yet .  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pigman

Last winter just before Christmas we got a 10" snow with a hard layer of sleet on top. I was out feeding the cows with my tractor when I saw what looked to be about a 6ft snow snake. :o The snake got on top of the sleet and couldn't get back in the snow. From the saftey of the tractor I took several pictures of that elusive creature.  8)  When I got back to the house there was nothing in the pictures but white snow, not even any tracks because of the hard sleet. :(  It is just as hard to get a picture of a snow snake as it is a picture of Big Foot. ::)  Chet sure was lucky to get a picture of some tracks.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Coon

I have been bitten by two snow snakes on the same day...... believe it was on a monday, but can't remeber for sure...... My back side has been hurtin ever since.... :D :D.

What is even worse then those snow snakes is them DanG bush monkeys seen four of em already this snowy season.  Man are the bush monkeys ever fast........ Tried to catch him first hand but........ Yuppers it got away......  even had one try to get in my boot while I was in my tree stand ..... it got away too.

AND...... NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY...... :( >:( ;) :) :D ;D :o 8) 8)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

tnlogger

we might want to set chet up with some of dem game camaras as he has the most licelt hood of catching one but from what I hear your best luck will be when they start in da rutt along about breakup before they done go under ground again. ;D
gene

UNCLEBUCK

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

EZ

Yesterday I was heading down our hill in the back 40 deer-hunting. Out of no where it got me.  Little sore today. Those snow snakes are quick and painful.

crtreedude

We don't have snow snakes down this way. We have monkeys, but they aren't the bush types.  ::)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

thedeeredude

I think I finally figured out what a snow snake is

http://www.naturenorth.com/winter/snwsnk/snwsnk.html

But I didn't get bit yet ::)

pigman

thedeeredude, the picture of the snow snake in your link looks similar to the one I saw last winter except the one I saw had light colored eyes, almost white.  Maybe it was an albino snake. smiley_headscratch
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Kirk_Allen

Well last night we had freezing rain and this morning you could ice skate ANYWHERE.  I was surprised to see that with only about an inch or two of snow and all this ice the Snow Snakes are already out.

I know in Alaska we would normaly never see them until we had at least 6 inches of snow and temps well below freezing (20's).  It has been hovering around 30 as a high so I didnt expect to see them so soon. 

Sure glad I was paying attention this morning because I darn near got bit by one.  I just never dreamed they would be out so soon.   

james

Got bit last wed morn up in Sisseton , Sd  in a parking lot at a truck stop it was ice covered caus of the freezin rain the only way i finally got away was to beat the ice with chains i dont think i kilt or even hurt it but i was able to escape to dry ground ( i think they need ice or snow to be able to move , too much friction otherwise)
james

Ed_K

I've been lucky so far,  ;). But I have my bil's grandaughter going to school to ask her teacher if there really are SnowSnakes here in Ma.  :D.
Ed K

jayfed

Snow snakes are not to be seen or heard - only felt.  The worse ones are those where your one snowshoe goes under their rear end and the other snowshoe steps on top of their front end. Then the "Digger" vemon strikes quickly when you try to escape.  And those old-timers snakes that tease you by sticking their head through your laces. Sometimes they get you and other times you wonder if it actually happened.
A second warmer and drier summer.

Thank You Sponsors!