iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swivel head bandmill / 180 degrees / double cut return

Started by woodbowl, December 03, 2005, 12:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

I've been eyeballing this sawmill. After each board cut, the head swivels 180 degrees and returns while cutting another board. I've never seen one or know of anyone who has. Your comments please.

http://www.msgind.com/
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Furby

Well I'm willing to bet that you would need a longer bed than on other band mills so that there is enough space to swing at both ends.
Seems like the siding "adjustment" would be pretty time consuming as well.

tnlogger

thats what i was wondering by the time you turn the head on most logs you could gig back and be sawing again.   :)
gene

Percy

A friend of mine (Bill)had one of these. He didnt use the "revolving" feature much but it was very handy when cutting the bigguns. You could swap sawing directions effortlessly to deal with butt flare, or for ease of piling lumber. The blade guides and adjustable blade guide arm on Bills was a little iffy..heh.. we adapted better ones. One day he cut 1000 bf in around 9 hours. It had a 13 hp honda and he used WM 1.5X.045 blades. Many said they were too big for this mill, but he made them work and his boards were strait.. :)
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

logwalker

You are referring to a MSG mill out of western Washington. I went to the factory 2 months ago to see the mill and meet the owner. I got to tell you I was impressed with the whole operation. Felt it was a high quality product. I think the flip advantage only kicks in when you get to maybe 12'. There is a used one for sale at sawmillexchange.com. No extras on that one and some serious rust. Do a MSG sawmill search and you will get their webpage. Fully equipped with loader, chain turner, power feed, power head, power dogs, around $15k. LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!