iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WHY??

Started by Tony, December 01, 2005, 08:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

As I was stacking and stickering some ERC today, I got to wondering.
                                      WHY?? ???

1-No matter which way the wind is blowing, when I start the
blade into the log or cant, why and how does the sawdust always blow in
my face?? ??? ???

2-Also when a customer comes to buy a board or 2, why is
the board(s) always on the bottom??? ??? ??? ???  No matter what's on
top, good or bad ::) ::)

I was wondering what some of ya'll do about #2?? ??? ::) ???

Tony  ??? 8) ???
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

beenthere

Tony
For #2, put prices on the lumber at the top, and every 5 layers, increase it by 10%. Insist on restacking it back when done.

I have no idea if that would work, but it might have a controlling affect on me if I was picking out a piece.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GareyD

Quote from: Tony on December 01, 2005, 08:11:17 PM
I was wondering what some of ya'll do about #2?? ??? ::) ???

I try real hard not to step in it :o :o ;D ;D
Sorry, I couldn't help myself :) :)

When I stack, I try to stack a couple of sizes ( 2x4 & 2x8, etc) to a layer in different stacks...
that way the board that the customer is lookin for can be found by only having to shuffle a couple of layers ;)
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Tony on December 01, 2005, 08:11:17 PM
     As I was stacking and stickering some ERC today, I got to wondering.
                                      WHY?? ???

I was wondering why you were sticking ERC?  We don't.  That is unless it's so fresh it's sticky or if it's been rained on.  We let our logs dry for a month or so before sawing and then just flat stack it and set it in the shed.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Engineer

A mill I used to go to (before I got my own) had a policy -  no sorting.  You buy off the top of the stack, and if there's a particular board you want, you buy everything above it until you can get to that board.    They did that to prevent all the junk from being pulled off and restacked on top.  I wound up dragging home quite a few lots of 100-200 board feet of butternut, cherry and pine just to get one board.  Prices though, were reasonable.   All random widths and lengths, log run, no grades, $1 for butternut, $0.50 for pine, $2 for cherry. Per BF.  I thought that was fair, the prices were good and they generally didn't toss anything that was really crap in the pile.

Tony

Quote from: Bibbyman on December 01, 2005, 08:48:44 PM
I was wondering why you were sticking ERC?  We don't.  That is unless it's so fresh it's sticky or if it's been rained on.  We let our logs dry for a month or so before sawing and then just flat stack it and set it in the shed.

It rained last night.   Oh, by the way Bibbyman, I want to thank ya'll for
the sawhorse idea a few threads back. I made 3 pr. and they are a great
back saver 8) and great for sorting also 8)

Thanks, Tony ;D :D
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

broker farmer

Tony and Bibbyman,
What is the saw-horse idea you guys are referring to?  How do I go back and pull up all of the threads of a particular individual?

Tony

sawguy21

Engineer, most of the lumber yards here subscribe to that theory. Too time consuming to spend effort with a picky customer then have to restack. I have only had to walk away or demand my money back a couple of times. One independent seemed to use the policy to get rid of culls so I never went back. They are no longer in business.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bibbyman

Quote from: broker farmer on December 02, 2005, 07:58:53 AM
Tony and Bibbyman,
How do I go back and pull up all of the threads of a particular individual?

On the left side of the post is a bunch of stuff about the poster - and maybe a picture.  Down below the picture are some icons.  The first one in the upper left looks like a picture of a face in profile.  Click on this.  It takes you to the profile of the poster.  Scroll to the bottom of the profile page and there is a line of text - I think it's next to the last line.  Says something like - Show last posts made by this person.  Click on that and I think it will bring up all the post that person made - starting from the newest to the oldest.  You may be able to reverse the order.

In the "old Forum" it would just show you 10 or 20 posts but now I think it brings them all up.

See if that works.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

An even easier way to get to a profile is to click on a posters name to the left of their post. Usually, anywhere a members name appears OUTSIDE of an actual post, it is clickable and takes you right to their profile, such as on the who's online list and the birthday lists.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!