iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Newbie, Just purchased an LT15

Started by davemartin88, December 01, 2005, 07:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davemartin88

Another newbie, first post to this forum.

Just bought and received a Woodmizer LT15, it was delivered today to my house in Leesburg, VA. I'm on 4 acres, have some logs that have been down for a while and there are quite a few neighbors with logs in the area that would like to have them hauled away-- mostly oak, some hickory, and a few cherry logs.

Just doing this for a hobby but looking forward to producing my own wood for projects! Most of the logs will be between 6 and 10 feet, about 12-20" diameter so should be well within the capabilities of this mill, I almost bought the LT10 but decided to go with the bigger unit with the larger engine (15 hp versus 7.8 hp)

Have been lurking awhile and there seems to be a great amount of information and enthusiasm here. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow of my mill-- nothing special other than it's mine but folks here seem to like pictures.  ;D

One of the first things I'll have to figure out is how to deal with some short logs that I have, only about 3 feet but some are 24" diameter, sure there are some secrets for holding these firmly. Sure that most folks would probably just ignore these but I do a lot of small woodworking projects so hate to waste the wood.

Look forward to learning more and hope to be able to contribute someday, dave.

Fla._Deadheader

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dave.  8)

I'll throw out the first tip fer ya. On short logs, place a 2X whatever (4"-6") on edge against the log stops. That will getcha dogged fast to something. A slab would work well, because you will eventually saw it along with the last part of the short log. Think of it as a "bridge" between the log stops, so the log won't roll between them.

Yer gonna fit right in, here, figgerin we like Pics, on yer first time postin.  ;) ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

Welcome to the forum. What's your time frame to get the first board off'n your mill?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

Welcome!
Yup, we like pics! ;)

For the short logs, I put a piece of 3/4" plywood on the bunks.
Placed a scrap 1x or 2x against the dogs, and then clamped the log at the clamp.
Feed into the log real slow. You can screw a scrap piece of wood on the ply as a stop so the log don't slide out of the clamp.
Worked for me anyways.

jerry-m

Welcome Dave,

Congatulations on the LT 15 8) Should be a great mill for what you want to do and more..
Jerry

davemartin88

Quote from: beenthere on December 01, 2005, 07:31:27 PM
Welcome to the forum. What's your time frame to get the first board off'n your mill?

Actually made a couple of cuts this afternoon after the mill was delivered since it was ready to go-- purchased from Marty at Woodmizer in PA and he had used the mill for a demo although not a lot. Great thing was it was put together and after checking it over, couldn't resist making a couple of cuts before it got dark. Cut a couple of 4/4 slabs from a 30" long piece of oak, about 15" wide. Didn't feel like the log was very stable which is what led to the question about short logs. Can't believe how smooth they turned out though. Hope to cut a bit more tomorrow but also purchased a small set of pallet forks for my tractor (Kubota BX22) and will have to figure out how to mount them to add "hydraulics" to my setup.

Thanks for the welcome to those who have replied already!

Kirk_Allen

Welcomd aboard Dave.  Boy, you got the bug REAL BAD - REAL QUICK.

New LT15 and after the first day of having it you figuring out the need for hydraulics.   ;D

I see a LT70 in your future  :D

I dont think anyone gets the bug worse than woodworkers.  I know for me it blows me away everytime I cut.  I just cant seem to get rid of slabs, shorts, chunks, cuttoffs etc.   ;D

PICS, We need PICS  :D 8) 8)

Lud

Wecome Uh-board, Dave , from a fellow newbie and longtime woodworker.  Lots of ideas here for every size of mill.   I'm enjoying the sawing but also figuring out the whole system of getting logs, putting them on the mill, cutting them, drying and using.

As a wood worker,  I'm exploring what can be done with thin stock-  I'm thinking of immediate steaming and bending, etc.

Andold logs that have been laying awhile are worth practicing on.  I brought in a 16 footer that had been layin in the woods for 5-6 years.  Brother said it was a waste of time.  Outside 2" were pretty soft- but when I got it down to the cant,  there was the prettiest spalting!  Just begging to be a 3' by 1' by 1' box with dovetail corners out of one board! and I've got 10 of those boards! 8)

glad you're with us.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

IL Bull

Welcome aboard (was that a pun?)
Nothin' like smell of saw dust and coffee in the mornin' 8)
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

tnlogger

davemartin88 welcome aboard and yup have ta have pics. you'll luve this home and family you now belong to  :)
gene

ronwood

davemartin88

Welcome to the forum and the Woodmizer family.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Octoman

Welcome Dave, great purchase!  With a little creativity you will be amazed at what you can produce from the mill!  I have sawn as short as 24" i think when i was making some shingles.  It requires the auxillary bed support which i have in the middle of the mill.  I saw a lot of small stuff such as 4' tree stakes and 3' stickers.  Even if you only get 16 tree stakes  from a WRC log who cares!  Its not high production but its all satisfaction!!  Enjoy! ;)
WM LT 15 - Fortune favours the Brave!

davemartin88

jimbo

welcome abord dave  your goingot enjoy that lt15 i sure do mine

jimbo

davemartin88

Here's a shot of my tractor with the new pallet forks. Ran out of welding wire so need to get some more to finish but it's pretty solid now- will also have to get some paint. A welder I'm not so may have to do a bit of grinding to make it look better too. :)

Burlkraft

Hey DM88,

Welcome....I'm pretty new here myself. These guys make you feel right at home right away ;D ;D

You have a great start to making stacks and stacks for lumber. I am still trying to figure out what to buy for a saw. Like you though I already have the Kubota and forks I'm Just waitin' for santa to bring me a mill  smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas I figure I need to be color coordinated so I have to buy a WM

Kubota's are great aren' they. I went out to plow snow the other day. I forgot that I forgot to plug er in the night before. Hit the glow plugs and she fired right up. I think it was in the 7* range

I'm sure you will find answers to all life's questions right here

Good luck with the new mill and don't forget the pics ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

alsayyed

hi everyone I see many people talking and owned the LT15 saw mill. MY question do they really cut slabs easily without the pain of chainsaw milling. Becuase I have not seen these before, but I have seen big industrial type. I know they cost too much money but it cut slabs of lumber good then it is worth it.

Don K

Welcome to the Forum Dave. I have LT 15 and have really enjoyed it. You will definitely look at logs differently now.   :)
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Minnesota_boy

It's nice to see how easy it is to move the log where you want it with the forks on the Kubota, but for safety, please make a set of log stops to mount on the top of the bucket angled forward to keep a log from coming over the top and rolling down the loader arms into your chest.  The stops could be nothing more than a couple pieces of bar stock bolted to the sides of the loader bucket so they angle forward.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

davemartin88

Quote from: Minnesota_boy on December 03, 2005, 12:23:26 PM
It's nice to see how easy it is to move the log where you want it with the forks on the Kubota, but for safety, please make a set of log stops to mount on the top of the bucket angled forward to keep a log from coming over the top and rolling down the loader arms into your chest. 

Thanks for the thoughts, will take another look-- the forks are for a full size tractor and when I tilt the bucket all the way back, don't think I could lift a log in the first place that could get over the forks-- will take another look to be sure but the lift capacity on my small tractor is only about 500 pounds so not a lot of log.

beenthere

Dave
Test it without a log, as even a small log with the bucket full height and tipped (curled full up) would roll off onto the loader arms, I think.   Just don't want you to have any 'lap' surprises, as there is no where to go when it starts for you.

Posting Hint:
Quotemake your reply 'outside' the "quote"
and it will separate it from the 'quote'.   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Minnesota_boy

You don't have to be able to curl the bucket real far to get a log to come over the top, just hit a bump at the wrong time and the log will bounce over.  Once will be too many times.  :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!