Sponsors:

27hp kohler won't start!!

Started by solodan, December 01, 2005, 12:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solodan

Lucas 827
The engine cranks but won't start.
Checked for fuel, seems ok.
battery got low, so I've got it on the charger.

I guess if it still doesn't start I need to check for spark, which is what I suspect. I'm thinking that something got wet, we got about 4inches of rain a couple of days ago and we are supposed to get about 4 more today. I had everything coverd up so if anything got wet it barely got wet. If the ignition module gets wet could that be my problem? need help!

tmullen

solodan

Make sure your saw guard is all the way down on the saftey switch. I already did that one, and felt pretty low once I figured it out.
when in doubt
fire out

brdmkr

tmullin has a good idea.  When I bought my mill, Brian at Bailey's told me that failure to push the guard down on the safety switch was one of their top tech topics.  I tried to crank mine once without the guard all the way down.  When it did not crank immediately, I remembered what Brian said, pushed the guard down, and it started right up.  Let us know if it is something else.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

solodan

It started, but I had to crank it quite a bit and start it as if  it was flooded. all that cranking before had probably loaded it up pretty good and made it start hard.After reading Tmullen's post I removed the gaurd and made sure the water tank was pushing the saftey switch down. I think this was the culprit. Thanks guys.

Ernie

After we had our mill for about 4 weeks, we experienced the same problem, no start.

It turned out to be a faulty oil pressure sender unit.  The Kohler has an inbuilt saftey system that wont start without oil pressure.  Just as well it was warranty, it took them ages to find the fault ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Captain

In all of the Kohlers that I have sold, I've only had 2 not start...1 was the fuel solenoid at the carburetor, the other was seriously wet.   I have heard of problems with the oil sender, however.

Glad you got it going!! :)

Captain

Lucas_Mill_Pty_Ltd

Seems like you have figured out your problem, the best bet is before stating, hit downwards the water bottle before starting, especially after sharpening As Ernie has said the Kohler 27hp also has a oil pressure switch that can prevent the engine from starting. We also have a high tempurature cut-out switch fitted to cylinder head number one. If you ever have any other problems starting your machine, I advise to remove the white wire from the red connector block located near the starter motor. This will by-pass all safety circuits. If the machine starts, the problem can be traced back by removing the rest of the wires and put back on one at a time with the white wire now connected. The green wire is oil pressure, and the remaining 2 black are as above.

Remember when trying to start, do not cranck the engine continuously for more than 10 seconds, as per your owners manual.

Matthew

solodan

Thanks Matthew, I will keep that in mind if I have any more problems. I think I just didn't push the gaurd all the way down. I never had this problem before , so I just didn't think of it. I really didn't try that hard to solve the problem before I asked everyone on this board. I knew someone here would be able to steer me in the right direction before I lost my mind. that's why I love this board. :)

Thank You Sponsors!