sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ksu_chainsaw

Pretty cool from what I've seen so far

That big sawmill was pretty cool!!

Charles

Greenskeeper

sprucebunny

I like the old picture of the huge log with the guys standing next to it. Must be 18' diameter. ;D

UNCLEBUCK

sprucebunny I watched all of them tonight back to back and it was the best shows I ever seen. Talk about wild and crazy riding that log floom . That all wheel drive train inventor was from michigan too. I wonder if he was a yooper ? It told how weyerhauser started as a night watchman at a mill in the midwest . I couldnt turn it off it was so good . 50,000 year old trees in the mud . Awesome stuff !  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Cedarman

Impressive that the southeast is sawing 4 times what the northwest is now.
Must be why I get all those auction notices about mills from the northwest.
Frank Pender, what you going to do with all those trees growing in your neck of the woods?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Frank_Pender

Don't ya know Cedarman, they are for the owls and huggers. >:( :'(
Frank Pender

thedeeredude

:(  I don't get the history channel and we have cable, too.  But I'd gladly trade oxygen, CNN or the Spanish channel(s) for History Channel.  But apparently even after you give the cable company $50+ a month, you still can't pick your own channels >:(

OneWithWood

It sure did look interesting from what little I got to see.  It seems there was a certain basketball game on that required my attention ;)

Cedarman, how is it you were watching the history channel and not espn?  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

woodhick

Anyone know when the show will run again, I missed it? :'(
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Furby

You can keep an eye on this link once a week or so to see when it will be on again.
http://www.historychannel.com/modernmarvels/?page=upcoming

Cedarman

One With Wood, the answer has something to do with the 4 years I spent at West Lafayette 8) 8)  I am giving up basketball this year. Maybe next year too.

Sunfield Hardwood

The all wheel drive locomotive was invented and built by a fellow who lived about 1 mile from my house, he lived in "Shaytown", where they finally bulldozed the last building about a year ago, oh yeah it's on Shaytown Rd. He designed the locomotive in shaytown, but moved near traverse city Mi. where he built them, or had them built. I check the history channel everyday hoping to catch that show and finally saw it :)Bailey's had the video of the show and I tried to order it but they are no longer in stock.I wanted to watch the show following the logging show, about lumber companys ,  but 4:00 am comes early and I had hit the sack. :-\
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

thecfarm

Was a nice program.Would of liked more pictures and less interviews.A whole differant way of logger that I've never seen.If you enjoyed the show get this book,Endless Tracks In The Woods by James A. Young and Jerry D. Budy.Not much about skidders,but lots about bulldozers,and the old way of getting logs out of the woods.Loads of pictures,really nice ones.I doubt any one could get through it in 2 days of reading and looking at the pictures.Probaly cost $40-$50 now.But it's worth it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Phorester

Did you notice the spring pole segment, where they put up platforms of boards about head high around the large western trees, to get above the butt swell?  One feller put in his 6 inch wide spring pole above head height.  Immediately hopped up on it.  To readjust it, he simply hooked the toe of his right boot underneath it, jumped completely up off the board, and moved the spring pole with his right foot several inches to the right, landing back on it perfectly balanced and immediately began swinging his double bit axe all while balancing on this skinny bouncy board about 6 feet off the ground.  Amazing.

I was also glad that, even though they made mention several times of loggers harvesting all those acres and acres of trees, they usually added "to satisfy America's insatiable demand for lumber products", or something of that nature.  Whenever I hear someone complain about loggers "destroying" all the forests, I remind them pretty quick that loggers cut trees only because the public  buys the products made from those trees.   Even john Muir lived in a wooden house and wrote all his essays on preserving the forests on paper.

sandmar

oh man,I think that should be a regular series on The History Channel...it was great. After seeing how they did things,I won't be whining QUITE as much about moving logs anymore  ;D

Sandmar

Dan_Shade

I think it was a well done show, the envirnmental guy and the forestry guy admitted that both of them are important.

myself, I'm a conservationist.  I believe that God gave us things on this Earth to use to better ourselves, but at the same time we are responsible so that future generations have things too.  it upsets me how bad some of the old logging companies raped the forrests.  I have no problem with using it, just make sure some is there for tomorrow.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

logwalker

Hey Dan,
I try to remember that it was done in a different time than we live in now and future generations will look back to judge the things we all feel comfortable doing everyday. Almost everyone is just trying to get along and make the fewest waves he can, avoid the sleeping dogs and stay within the lines. I seem to remember something about house made of glass. Old mother earth is going to take it all back someday anyway, that is one thing you can count. Be safe out there tomorrow. ;)
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Cedarman

Everyone seems to think that as trees become more valuable, more of them will be cut down and we will run out of trees.  Back in the "good ole days" when trees were next to worthless they were cut down to make room for anything else and land was vast and cheap and who cared.  Now land is much more valuable and trees are worth a lot more money, so I expect we will have more trees growing.  If we didn't have a demand for corn, we wouldn't see corn fields.  I am happy that we are growing more trees than in the last hundred years and heading in the right direction.

I am a preservationist for old growth such as it can be defined. Anyway I like seeing big tracts of huge trees of any species.

But I am also a conservationist in that we must manage what we have.

beenthere

Cedarman
You have said it well and how I believe it 'happens'. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

The link below shows how you can order both "The Lumber Yard"
and "Logging Tech."

http://www.historychannel.com/modernmarvels/?page=archive

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Don K

Cheapest I can find that book on the net is $85 if it can be located at all :o
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

thecfarm

The book may cost $85,but it would be still be worth it.Probaly I wouldn't want to spend that much without first looking at it.I saw the book after I bought it at a tractor show.I bought it sight unseen for $30.It's a very nice book with lots of pictures to enjoy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

Tom

I'd like to see it, but my TV is busy displaying stupid stuff.

Buzz-sawyer

Im watching it.really interesting............ 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

sprucebunny

On Megamachines tonite NOW . The Ponnse Harvester will be on.

jgoodhart

Thank You Sponsors!