iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

26 Days til Christmas, What are you buying your significant other?

Started by blueox, November 29, 2005, 10:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueox

8)Its that time of year again...you know the time when the credit card is so HOT its actually burning a whole in your wallet.

;D I need some advice!

Being a hairdresser by trade, chainsaws & tools etc ...just don't come to me naturally.

My husband needs a chainsaw. Stihl? Husky? Echo? What do I get him? Budget is a factor, can I get something decent for $300 or so??? :-\ But heres the deal, he is a hobby cutter. Meaning, he needs to trim our land and cut a little bit of wood for the fireplace, but this is not something he would use to "Make Money" with. He won't use it to put bread on the table, he just needs a new toy!!

So my second idea...(cuz I happen to listen to him occassionally) is a nice tool box on wheels, for his garage! Now I went to Sears and saw some Craftsmen boxes, the $800 dollar ones and the $200 dollars ones seemed to look and feel the same to me. (they all felt "flimsy") The drawers all seemed wobbly.. :-[ Again I'd like to get quality, but not spend a fortune! Where should I look and what brand??

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input!!

By the way....what is the big gift your purchasing for your significant others this year??

Thanks Laurel :)

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

crtreedude

Oh, I suspect I will be buying Amy a chunk of land in Costa Rica...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

thedeeredude

Well, for the toolbox, my dad bought one from Lowes, the Kobalt brand.  It's seems to be pretty good.  As for a chainsaw, I use an echo and I like it.  I actually prefer the echo to my uncle's husky, but that's just me.  I use an echo cs440.

Modat22

I chatted with the wife this year and I think we're going to buy things for a family we know.

The father hurt his back at work (paving) and the mother is going thru sever abdominal pain (needs to have the factory works removed), they have 3 good kids.

We have many people around the area that take the dissability route and could still work but this guy is on the level.
remember man that thy are dust.

beenthere

blueox
For the tool box, just be sure the drawers have roller bearings and you will be pretty good for quality. Then take the most you want to spend and get the biggest you can buy. A roll-around base would be a good starter, or a good box with drawers to set on top of a future base would also be a good start.

Chainsaw
I'd let him buy what he wants, as a chainsaw (IMO) is one of those 'fussy' things that subtle differences are hard to explain. I wouldn't want my wife to get me one, as it probably wouldn't be 'just right' and I'd feel bad taking it back. Same as I wouldn't buy her a sewing machine for the same reason.

For my birthday last, my wife bought me an expensive battery-operated 25' tape measure, and it weighed a 'ton' and was big. No way I would walk around with that big thing hanging on my belt. Fortunately for me, the thing didn't work very well and ate batteries, so I had permission to take it back but the hardware store didn't have another to exchange so gave me store credit  :) .  I used the money for something else. Whew! that was close.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Murf

I'm glad my meeesus & I aren't the only ones appreciative of all the things the good Lord was bestowed on us.

We stopped giving each other presents after our first Christmas together. Besides I give her stuff all the time just 'cause I love her, and she deserves it for putting up with me.  ;D

I am a Shriner, and my dog & I volunteer as visitors at hospitals and retirment homes, so my wife & I donate to the Shriner's Hospitals for Children and a few local places instead of spending on each other.

The dogs get spoiled though.  8)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

CHARLIE

I looked at those huge tool cabinets on rollers many times and just can't justify getting one. First, it's primarily for "mechanic"  type tools (wrenches, sockets, etc) and you'd have to have a lot of them to fill it.  Secondly, they take up a lot of space. I have all my "Mechanic" type tools in a hand carry tool box with a lid and 2 drawers.  It's handy 'cause I can carry it to the work, which includes throwing it into the back of the truck, and it doesn't take up much space.  I reckon if I was to get one, I'd get a good one 'cause nothing bugs me more than a drawer that doesn't track well or is flimsey.

As for a chainsaw, I enjoy woodworking and woodturning.  My woodturning has me cutting up logs sometimes and I also trim trees.  About 10 years ago, I bought a Sears Craftsman chainsaw on sale for about $150.  It came with a case and an extra chain.  The bar is thinner than a Husky or Stihl but the chainsaw has served me well for my uses and best of all, starts good.  I reckon I would recommend you buy your husband the "top of the line" Craftsman, McCullough or Homelite.  Me.....I'd love a Stihl or Husky but just can't justify the cost.

I don't plan on buying my wife anything for Christmas.......well, that's a lie 'cause I do always buy her a Charles Wysocki calendar, which she expects.  I'm making her a small gift in my shop on my woodlathe.  She's not buying me anything either 'cause we're going on a trip to spend Christmas with her father this year and that is our gifts. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Frank_Pender

For an all around saw as you mentioned for things he needs to do, I would suggest giving him a gift certificate with pictures of various saws for an Stihl 340 with a 24" bar or there abouts.

For the toolbox, the same concept, a gift certificate with pictures of tool box options.
The cettificate could have a limit of your dollars and then he could add to the amount if he wishes.

My giving will come from the lathe again this year.   Last year a gave a lathe box that came from a falen Black Walnut her father planted 40 years ago.  He had planted a number of trees and a few still survive, growing up through the Douglas Fir.
Frank Pender

flip

I will be buying my mill...errrrr significant other a box of blades ;D
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Engineer

For a hobby cutter, a Stihl MS250 is an ideal saw, can be had for under $300, and is a very versatile and reliable saw.  Find your nearest Stihl dealer and go in, look at the saws and talk to the dealer.  They should be able to give you all the advice you need, as well as all the things you need as 'accessories' to go with the saw (chains, files, oil, case, etc. plus SAFETY gear).  If your husband has little or no experience with a saw, I'd advise against giving him a chainsaw, or better yet, sign him up for a chainsaw safety and operations class at your local community educations center - the dealer, again, should be able to help.

I would not buy one of the 'big box' saws, including Husqvarna, unless you get it from a dealer.  You need to know that there's service and parts available.  Stay away from Craftsman, Homelite, Poulan, McCullough and the like.   Echo makes a good saw, as does Jonsereds.  The Husqvarnas are excellent saws but again - use a dealer, not a big box store.

As for the tool chests - Craftsman are fine - the difference between them is primarily gauge of steel, ball bearing slides, and paint choices.  The cheaper ones are thinner gauge and don't have the ball bearing slides.  When you have twenty or thirty pounds of tools in a drawer, you will notice the difference.

Jeff

I can't say what I would get for Tammy here for obvious reasons even if I knew.  Last year was the one-handed wood carving of a school bus, this year, I jest dont know. :-\

I think a Husky Rancher makes a fine saw for anybody. Even the big saw guys have use for a smaller saw at times. Its pushing the 400 dollar mark though after taxes and everything I would imagine.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Lud

Years past ,I'd try to surprise her .......and got to watch the take backs.  (i.e.  your taste is not accurate)
Lately, it's go with me and you pick it out.  (lacks surprise factor,  therefore lacking)  Can't win.

About 5 years ago, I got one of those white noise makers at radioshack for a stocking stuffer. The thing's been turned on every night since sinceone of us may snore........  at least it was appreciated!

What gifts have been good in the past for others? ??? ??? ???
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

blueox

Well everyone has sure helped with good advice.

Frank: I agree that the gift certificate w/ pictures of the chainsaw or tool box is a great idea....but sooooo boring! I'm sure once he gets to go shopping w/ the gift certificate he will be delighted!

Beenthere: I hear what your saying about "fussy"...He's the one that will be using it, NOT me! I know that he tends to favor Stihl, and I'm going to check out our local dealer. I'm glad to hear about the 1 ton, 25' tape measure. I thaught about getting him one, until I read your reply. Heck if he attached that to his britches, he'd be running around town with his pants around his ankles . So I'll scrap that idea!!  :D

Modat: You and your wife are sweet!! 8)That is soooo nice of you to buy for the family in need. We also do that but for several families with lots of kids. A group of us gets the sizes and ages etc, and make sure the kids get what they need. Makes you feel good!!

Engineer: Not to worry, my husband is very experienced. He grew up with a chainsaw in his hand, worked in the woods for years... buttt....over time, career changes...etc...long story short, he needs a new one and its gonna be a "hobby" chainsaw! (his choice!)

Lud: Nothing worst than an unappreciated gift. I've recieved a few in my days, that well...I ...umm.....returned! I think we all have done or wanted to do that! Gift certificates certainly are the easy way out and usually appreciated, if its to a store she likes not the "Hardware" store! :D I try to listen to him (when he doesn't know I am really paying attention) so throughout the year if I hear him say, geeze I need a new watch or my tools are everywhere, I'm gonna get one on wheels one of these days...I write it down, stick it in my wallet and pull out the note when its that time of year!

Thanks everyone
Laurel 8)

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

srjones

On the chainsaw 'toy', here's a suggestion.  If he's got a hidden (or not) artistic side, get him a chainsaw carving package like the one at Bailey's  http://www.baileysonline.com/chainsaw_carving.htm.

If he get's bored with chainsaw carving, he still has a saw for other little stuff (although it might be good to switch back to a normal bar and chain.

Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

Bro. Noble

My wife tries to get some kind of gift for the kids,  but no longer for me.  It's hard to buy something for people these days since everyone has everything they want that costs less than a months wages.  I hate buying stuff just for the sake of giving a present.  What I have started doing is giving presents when I see ,or think of,  something that someone will like and appreciate.  It doesn't have to be for Christmas or any special occasion.

When we built our house,  one of the carpenters made a fireplace mantle out of a timber from one of my ggg-grandfathers log cabin.  There was some wood left over and I knew this carpenter makes turkey calls.  I asked him to make some for me to give as presents.  The old cabin (and it's original occupants) had quite a history during the civil war.  I had my youngest son print up an illustrated copy of the story on parchment type paper and presented this with about a dozen of the turkey calls.  People seemed to really like them,  especially my son-in-law who called up a turkey with his :D

This year,  I'm giving gifts from the lathe too,  Frank ;D-------Charlie's lathe :D :D  I made a post about a big redoak tree that we had to take down.  It was right by the mill and in the yard of a house that my grandad built when Dad was a young boy.  The tree would have been small then too ;D

Charlie offered to make me something out of a chunk of the tree.  I asked him if he would make me several for a small fee and he agreed.

I plan on trying to give gifts in the future that have some kind of family sentiment and/or workmanship of my friends. :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

bull

Im, w/ you Bro noble...  It doesn't have to be a holiday to give..... Im tired of how commercial the holidays have gotten...... everyone has forgotten who's day it is.......  The holiday's have become days of expectation, the gift of personal handy crafts is great but many times unappreciated....   Don't want to sound down on Christmas just wish it could be like years back when everyone was greatfull for the simple things.....  Hat and gloves made by Great gram.  a box of 12 ga. shell from my uncle and some movie passess from the aunts and a big dinner w/ family out of town and trip all over to see cousins etc...   OH FOOD  Italian, french,german, polich,swedish,etc.
every kinda of food you could think of and deserts oh yeah !!   Merry Christmas to all.....

27 day until christmas is over  8) 8)

Ed_K

Laurel, you said your husband is right at home with saws. I'm guessing his PPEs are worn out. Get him a new set of chaps, helmet with eye and ear protection, and a nice set of steel toed boots. As for tool box- I use the stackable plastic boxes w/snap on lids from wally world, the .89 ones  ;D.
Ed K

PawNature

Loretta Lynns Husband once bought her a cattle truck for Christmas. Although she said she had no use for it but he did.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Jeff

Quote from: srjones on November 29, 2005, 03:00:11 PM
On the chainsaw 'toy', here's a suggestion.  If he's got a hidden (or not) artistic side, get him a chainsaw carving package like the one at Bailey's  http://www.baileysonline.com/chainsaw_carving.htm.

If he get's bored with chainsaw carving, he still has a saw for other little stuff (although it might be good to switch back to a normal bar and chain.

Just in case Tammy reads this, I like this one. smiley_smug01
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom_Averwater

My wife told me what she would like for Christmas. :o  A 3 diamond necklace, a cruise , movie passes , steps for her hot tub , DanG it I can't remember the rest.
He who dies with the most toys wins .

SAW MILLER

I'm either gonna get my wife a new spliittin maul...or diamond ear rings to match the necklace I got her last year.
I prolly ortta go with the ear rings.. ;D ;D ;D
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

pigman

New broom for the wife. ;D The one she has now is getting a little weathered. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Frank_Pender

Redpowered, I need the whole garage for my 74 CJ7 Levi special with a Perkins. :'(
Frank Pender

crtreedude

go with steps for her hot tub, sounds like the most affordable.  :o

My wife and I rarely exchange gifts anymore - got too much junk now anyway. Well, not anymore after moving to Costa Rica, that will tend to thin things out. I bet FDH is dumping a lot of stuff on his kids right now...  ;)

Actually, I have already said what I want for Christmas - I want a bass pond. A peacock bass pond. I hear they are scary when they hit topwater lures. Harold and I are going to hand carve some plugs for them and have a wonderful time - then someone else will clean em and we will have a fish fry. You can't get much better than that!

So, this year I want a pond and a garden. I think Amy is getting a homesite this year. We have been renting here for about 18 months now and that has been fine, but we know the area well enough to start looking around now.  We are looking for about 12 to 15 acres for a homesite and for a few horses. I want it to back into the national park here if I can (not too close - there are jaguars and things in there!)

We would do this, this year anyway - but making it Christmas means it will get done.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!