iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porky Paranoia

Started by Jeff, November 28, 2005, 07:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Most of us know about member Shotgun's obvious dislike for Porcupines. Well, Since he left for Florida this year without even bothering to go to Deer camp, Chet and I figured we would brave the elements and go check on his camp for him, just to make sure those pesky porkies had not tore it up to bad.

This first shot was taken through the trees right by Shotgun's camp. Pretty day but lots of snow already. as you can tell by the shot below of Chester's trusty Ford Ranger that I am glad to say I did NOT have to get in the back of this year for added weight.

This is about the best shot possible of the camp itself as the trees are so dense, any further and you cant see the buliding, and any closer all you see is tin and hardware cloth. I'll mention more about that in a moment.

Shotgun's woodpile still has some life in it. You will all be glad to know we pulled a check and there was no lower michigan firewood in it...

More about the tin and hardware cloth...

Did I mention that Norm has a bit of Porcupine Paranoid?? He goes up to the camp and finds little bits and pieces of edges of it chewed up or gone, so it must be those garsh danG pokies, so Norm has covered EVERY edge with metal. Even the wood shed is guarded by tin and hardware cloth.

Norms camp sure is in a beautiful spot and pretty wild if ya come in from da south. Chet and I give it da once over to make sure it was all O.K. and it sure was a shame that Norm left it before he could check it during buck season cause as Chet and I rounded the back, we spotted one of Norm's dreaded Porcupines attempting  to damage some more of dat camp siding. Good thing for all dat tin, Norm aint gotta never worry about dis one coming back cause Chet and Me, we shooed him off proper like and we're pretty sure he wont never come back!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Chet and I were rewarded for our good deed with this sunset on da way home...

chet

I couldn't beleave dat der Porky didn't get scared off when we showed up.  :-\  Guess he was to busy.

Norm, yer gonna hafta git some tougher Porky gaurd. Dems some big Porkys.  :o
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Shotgun

Holy Wa!  Dat's one big porky. I should've gone up der ta take care of dat problem. I'll never forgive myself for bein' on da tennis court in Florida on opening day dis year. Looks as though he was caught in da hardware cloth.  I mighta stood a chance.   :D

I have eliminated hundreds of porkies over the years. Worked in da UP for 8 years, and I was pretty hard on dem porkies. Not sure if der gettin' even wid me or not. Or just tryin'. Now der just sharpenin' der teeth on my hardware cloth.

Thanks guys for making da trip to Kenton and the pictures.  It was really fun seeing your pics and reading da story.  And yup, Chet, I do feel bad about not being there this season. My wife read it and bam, she points out that she thinks you did a little photo editing.   :)

Yup, the thread topic fits me to a "T".

Chet told me earlier that I'd never believe what you guys saw near the camp. First thing I thought of was porky. Then deer, bear, but I told Mary that you'd never be able to get a picture of that. Den I wondered "wolf'? Even thought meybe a tree had fallen on da camp.

Thanks again guys.  You made my day.   8)

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

isawlogs

Seeing as you guys are checking up on camps .. can i send you a map to mine  ;D  i might have a porky or two to keep you busy there also .  ;D ;)
  That was a nice thing ya did for Norm , Nice place to go and hide out  for a week or two .

I did notice that you cheated , you left the pick-up on da road .  ;)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

chet

Marcel, ya got good eyes.  :D  :D  :D 

In our defense we did travel about 30 miles on unplowed stuff ta git there though.  :)  My companion did opt for us to take the more civilized paths home.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

"Home" being the ultimate goal, had a lot to do with my decision.  :)

Jeff

I am glad we went my way because we got take this photo via my route:

Jeff

Paschale

Those are some great pictures!  I'm jealous...it's been years since I've been up in the U.P. during winter.  Now that I think about it...am I REALLY jealous?  Actually, I am...those waterfall pics make me wanna hop in the car and have a look at them myself.   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

crtreedude

Those pictures make me want to put socks and shoes on! Brrrr!

Very pretty and very nice checking on a camp like that.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Shotgun

Paschale,

Maybe I'll just have to have a FF pigroast, UP style.   ;D  There sure are lots of neat spots around there. These pics make me "camp sick."   ;)

Da Boss and Chet, da arborist, sure did a good job.  Thanks again guys.

Norm

pigman

Quote from: Shotgun on November 29, 2005, 10:34:50 AM
Paschale,

I'll just have to have a FF pigroast, UP style.   ;D  There sure are lots of neat spots around there.

Norm
Have you set a date yet so I can mark my calender. 8) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Shotgun

Paschale,

Here's a little trout stream at the back of my place that I fish often. Actually I fish a couple of miles of it.  Seldom see a foot print.  Sure is fun just sitting and thinking along side it too. Have seen bears and deer crossing it, and fishers and badgers in the vicinity.  No wolves or moose...YET. They're both there too, though.

As you probably know, there are miles and miles of such streams in da UP.  You need to return to your roots more often.   :D

Norm

chet

Norm,
I won't tell da name of yer secret trout stream, even though the picture kinda gives it away.  :D  I haven't fished it for quite a few years now, but I have definately left my share footprints there in the past.   :)

Jeff and I should have gotten a winter shot of it while we were there.   :-\

Paschale

Hey Norm...I like your idea of a U.P. pig roast!   8)  And yer right...I need to get back to my roots more often.  One of these days, my brothers and I are going to build a cabin on the old homestead property (gotta get the mill working first!)  The U.P.'s good for the soul, and I always feel energized when I go up there.  It sure is easy to forget about all the junk in life sitting by a creek like that.   8)  Speaking of your creek, it looks sorta like it's on the western side of the U.P.--so where is your "secret" creek located anyway?   ;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

isawlogs

Hey Chet ..

Dont take much to get some home sick does it ... A little drive in the country and they want to go back the easy way .

Well glad ya did  , those are some purdy places you visited  and shared with us . Thanks .  ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

I've been places a lot wilder and remote then that and took a lot of chances where I could end up walking home. That was back when I could walk home.

Thank You Sponsors!