iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

solar kiln plans

Started by Don K, November 27, 2005, 08:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

I am wanting to build a solar kiln. Have been looking on the net at various sites for plans, but if someone here has found something that works good, would you mind pointing me in the right direction
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

brdmkr

If you have not checked out the following site, you should take a look.  I also will be interested in any replies you get as I am interested in doing the same thing.  I was considering going with one of the more simple plans at the attached site.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Solar_Kiln_Designs_1.html

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Dan_Shade

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=237

built from the basic roof points south at angle of your latitude +10 degrees.  insulated.  board feet charge = roof square footage*10

it's been up to 150+ degrees in the summer here in MD.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

brdmkr

Hey Dan,

I studied those pics of your kiln.  Nice.  Did you insulate (It almost looks like I can see the studs on the inside of the finished kiln)?  Also, is that aluminum paint underneath black paint?  How many board feet can you dry in one charge?  Also, I noticed that there did not appear to be any fans.  Is that correct?  Do you like the results?  Finally, how many questions have you ever been asked in one post????????
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Dan_Shade

it has aluminum paint under black paint. both oil base.  the exterior is a brown stain that was water based.  it has an attic vent fan that hangs inside of it on a thermostat.

We insulted it as an after thought, and then put 1/4" plywood over the insulation.  We used the rolled up type pink insulation, probably should have used the blue type foam sheets, but it's expensive....  I caulked the seams with roofing tar type stuff, then painted again with aluminum paint, and black paint.

aluminum roof paint probably would have been better to use, instead of the aluminum paint.  I can dry around 450bf at a time, it takes a while, but it works.  

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

brdmkr

Thanks for the info Dan.  I am thinking that what you have built is about what I am after.  When you say it takes a while, how long are we talking?  Also, what did you use for your collector?

Again, thanks for all the info. 

Dan_Shade

took all summer to dry some red oak right off the saw.

the roof is two layers of clear roofing material I got at lowes, seperated by about an inch or so.  I've heard of people using heavy plastic, which may be the way to go. 

Lorax

Here is a link to the plans that I used this year - I modified them slightly, but they worked well for me.

http://forest.wisc.edu/extension/publications/98.pdf

Dan_Shade

Thank You Sponsors!