iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slab Use

Started by Radar67, November 27, 2005, 12:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

Has anyone ever considered selling slabs to taxidermists? I would think a slab 12 to 18 inches long from any type nut tree would make a good mounting board for squirrels and such. What would be a good price to charge? I'm thinking two to three bucks (it's waste unless you use it for firewood).

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Frank_Pender

Yes, I have sold some for the same amount as well as for Salmon and other species of critters.
Frank Pender

Furby

Quote from: Radar67 on November 27, 2005, 12:54:37 PM
What would be a good price to charge? I'm thinking two to three bucks (it's waste unless you use it for firewood).
It's waste to you, a product to them........ charge what you can, but don't tell them it is waste.
A little marketing could get you a fair price for them. ;)

Radar67

Quote from: Furby on November 27, 2005, 07:26:50 PM
It's waste to you, a product to them

That's what I was thinking Furby. I think I'll look up some taxidermy sites and see if I can get a general idea of price on the mounts before I approach my local dermist.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Coon

Around here we utilize the complete log.  We sell alot of our decent slabs for snow fence boards (commonly in 4',6' and 8' lengths) and the rest that won't make a decent fence board goes for firewood. ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Furby

I have a cool piece that I picked up last month from along the big muddy.
I thought my brother would like it to mount a pike on he caught on a fly in trip in Canada a couple months back.
He claims he won't save any $ by supplying his own slab, and that he will just take what the dermist gives him. ::)
Fact is, I know some of the better ones will go through a fair bit of trouble to find a "perfect" piece for the "right" client, and there is a HUGE mark up added to the total price of the mount, based on what I've been told.

Figure I'll save the piece I offered my brother, until I find a good use for it. ;)

Kirk_Allen

For those that have heard me talk about Chad, my local college helper, his grandfather is a Taxidermist and pays a fair price for pieces and typcially doubles the price he pays for it to the customer.  He did say that pretty much all the taxidermists he knows prefer cedar over most of the other woods because it will never rot and he has never seen or heard of any bugs coming out of it after the customer has it home and on the wall. 

UNCLEBUCK

In my quest for moose antlers I discovered a whole new world on ebay in the taxidermy areas and there is alot of wood sellers on there catering to the public with all kinds of slab material . Might have fun just checking it out Radar . ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Ron Wenrich

On a log with a lot of sweep, you can pull slabs that are surrounded with bark and have a flat sawn center.  Those make interesting mounts, and also can be used to carve in names or house numbers. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frank_Pender

I just came up with an idea for which to use the slabs from some small Douglas Fir logs.   I have to come up with 300 roof pieces for bird feeders this coming Spring for 6th grade outdoor school.    Thanks to Stew for bringing up the question.   That question caused me to rethink the cutting all slabs into firewood.  I will make 300 rooftops and perhaps bases as well.
Frank Pender

LeeB

The pieces Rod mentioned also make neat serving boards. I have a couple for bread boards and such. As mentioned they also make good signs. Little work, big money. My wife is always gleaning my slab pile. She likes the stuff with lots of bark as it seems many women do. Maybe we should pay attention to this guys? LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

flip

I have a standing order with a company about 1/2 mile away from me to make display stands for high end garden tools.  Yep, they wanted the rough look so I use the slabs of what ever I'm cutting.  Takes me and a friend about 30 minutes to make one and get $32 per stand.  Not bad for using "waste" ;)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Frank_Pender

Flip, you you supply a photo?
Frank Pender

flip

Sure, Gotta steal the camera back from the wife.  It's really simple-48" tall 14"wide back and the legs taper from top to the floor with natural edge.  Takes longer to dig the slab out of the pile and cut the tapers than to assemble 'em.  They are displays for DeWitt garden tools for a company that distributes here in the US.

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Radar67

I appreciate everyone's replies.

Flip, I would be interested in pictures as well.

Frank, Lee, and Ron, those are some good ideas. You now have my little wheels turning way too fast. ;D ;D ;D I'll be making several trips to my slab pile in the next few days.

Uncle Buck, I spent way to much time checking out the taxidermy section on Ebay.  :D

Keep the ideas coming.

Stew

Fla._Deadheader

Take the really thick butt ends of the slabs, and cut them about 2/3rd's rather than in half, longways. Best looking Rustic Mantles you ever sold.  Cut 'em about 10"-12" wide and even up the slab piece, thickness wise. You end up with a piece 6' long or so, and it is slightly more than if the log was "quartered".

If that don't confuse you, I can type this in Spanish.  ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

WV_Hillbilly uses them to create some great pieces.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Larry

Walnut fish boards like these two bring premium prices...much higher than the 4 or 5 bf of selects they would have made after edging and end trimming.

Secret only known by expert loggers and sawyers :D ;D :D...when bucking a tree leave a branch stub about 2' long and ya can cut all kind of taxidermist slabs.  If I want bigger slabs I got a jig to hold low grade logs so I can slice em at a angle.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!