iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Citified country dwellers...

Started by Paschale, November 27, 2005, 12:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Well, I was playing at a church service this morning, a church I've never been to.  I went out to my car, and there, just mosying along on their merry way were four wild turkeys.  I was looking around to grab someone else's attention and point out the turkeys, since I was mystified.  When I did point them out, the person said, "I see 'em all the time."  They're regulars, and live in the neighborhood!  Now...this is DEEP in the heart of Grand Rapids, with really hardly any wild habitat anywhere remotely closeby (except for a wooded park).  For Furby--you'll know this area--just next to East Town, where Lake Dr. and Fuller intersect.  It's one of the strangest things I've ever witnessed...
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Paul_H

I wonder if they were seeking sanctuary during the Thanksgiving holiday?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

redpowerd

i thought it was strange to see cornfeilds next to skyscrapers upon my arrival to indianapolis. talk about high dollar corn.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

jon12345

I don't really live in a city, its a small village but there are turkeys and deer on my back lawn every day.  Even here the deer feel safe, in the middle of hunting season they don't run when I get out of the car 20' away from them.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

redpowerd

on my way to curch this morn i woke a large grouse resting under the jeep.
i scared it and it in turn scared me! good reason to hunt them and eat them.

occasionally a large bird will hit one of my picture windows, sometimes killing it. ive had to clean up dead grouse and phesants, thankfully no turkeys, but im sure its just a matter of time
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

beenthere

Heard of joggers being chased (or jogged with  :) ) by turkeys in the city of Madison. Some were even getting worried they might be 'attack' turkey's.  ::) :o   :D

Demanding the city "DO something" about those wild turkeys.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

The groundskeeper of a local golf course got in a heap of doo over trapping and relocating some Canada geese without a permit ::). They were making a mess as geese do that well and were getting aggressive with the golfers. The animal rights nuts got up in arms and lodged a complaint so they obviously weren't golfers, at least at that course.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Beenthere, my uncle had a mean plymouth rock rooster. It would chase and attack. It would scratch and kick at your leg and fly in your face. One time I remember it came at my uncle and he picked up a piece of a board and hit it a crack, that quieted it down for few moments. ;D

I remember driving to Winnepeg for the first time. I was driving by 1000's of acres of ploughed field as far as you could see. I could then see the city way off as I approached. Then wham, it was there. It looked like a wall all around it from the suburbs. And your like 'there' all the sudden.  ;D :D :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

Quote from: Paschale on November 27, 2005, 12:33:49 PM
at a church service this morning,  just mosying along on their merry way were four wild turkeys.   When I did point them out, the person said, "I see 'em all the time."  They're regulars, and live in the neighborhood!  It's one of the strangest things I've ever witnessed...
We have several turkeys that go to our small church, although I don't think they are  wild. ;D  Counting myself, we may have a dozen. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

Turkeys tend to adapt pretty good, just like coons, deer and the like.
Living in the city may have hazards, but the way some people leave food out for them, they are pretty happy.

Corley5

A couple years ago I was sent to the north side of Gaylord on a viscious turkey report.  It seems that a group of turkeys were menacing kids at a school bus stop.  I didn't find the birds that day but did see them a few days later in the same neighborhood.  They had a regular route they took from bird feeder to bird feeder.  Turkeys can't pass up black oil sunflower seed. ;)  We contacted some of the residents and after most of the people in the neighbor took down their feeders the birds moved to a different part of town ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Onthesauk

I saw a little blurb on the news the other night about wild turkeys living in La Conner, WA, little town up in our neighborhood.  City council had just passed a law to protect them in the city limits.  Showed them walking down the middle of main street, stopping traffic.  Should probably do a follow-up after Thanksgiving!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

UNCLEBUCK

I think them michigan turkeys just know good music when they hear it Paschale and they were also picking up the free rice on the steps left over from the last wedding ! ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D
THAT truly does make the most sense UB! ;D

Paschale

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on November 27, 2005, 10:39:51 PM
I think them michigan turkeys just know good music when they hear it Paschale and they were also picking up the free rice on the steps left over from the last wedding ! ;D

My biggest fans are a bunch of TURKEYS!   :D :D :D

I guess that's better than having no fans at all...   ;)

sawguy21

Quote from: pigman on November 27, 2005, 03:32:48 PM
We have several turkeys that go to our small church, although I don't think they are  wild. ;D  Counting myself, we may have a dozen. ;)
I have never thought of you as a turkey but stranger things have happened :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rebocardo

When I lived in NH, we would see turkeys in the road all the time, except during hunting season.

johncinquo

My office is at Lake and Carlton, about 200 yards from that intersection.  There is a lil neighborhood newspaper for East Town and the turkey is a regular article I think.  Where hes been, whos yard he has been visiting, who had to run him out of their garage.  There used to be a set of peacocks running around as well. 

I have seen the turkeys at the intersection of Fuller and Michigan street.  I think they were trying to get their drycleaning from Sheldons! 

On a side note, there are a couple small lakes around here, buried in between woods, houses, hospitals, and condos.   I have fished on several of them and can tell you, 14" bluegills and 10" perch come out by the buckets.  No one ever fishes around on these. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Quartlow

We get dear in town all the time, usually around hunting season, I think they know where they are safe
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Bill

I confess that I'm only 1  1/2 miles out of Phila PA ( the 'burbs ??? ) but this year I've got three buck scrapes in the back yard. Seems my neighbors keep the natives out with fancy chemicals, fences and such. I kinda prefer the natives ;-)

Ed_K

Ummm, I'm having turkey & rice for supper  :).
Ed K

Woodcarver

The office I worked in before I retired housed about 1000 employees.  It was located on the outskirts of a city of about 30,000.  Deer, geese and turkeys were a common sight around the office.

Our daughter and son-in-law who live in the same community have far more problems with deer in their vegetable garden then we do living in a rural area 18 miles outside of the city.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

VA-Sawyer

Quote from: Paschale on November 27, 2005, 10:47:01 PM
My biggest fans are a bunch of TURKEYS! :D :D :D

Talk about peer pressure!    ;)

Paschale

Thank You Sponsors!