iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norway maple?

Started by Daren, November 26, 2005, 08:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I know everyone will be hollering for pics, o.k. when I get a chance. I got a couple u.f.l.s (unidentified free logs) today. The best I can tell from my reasearch is they are Norway maple. My buddy is an excavating contractor that does clearing for developement, waterways... anyway he brings me some nice logs from time to time. He called the other day and said he had several 30"+ white ash, a few 24"+ white and red oak and a bunch of nice sycamore 24" or better. I said bring the sycamore first I needed it worst. He showed up just before dark with a couple, not American sycamore like I was looking for, not even sycamore maple. They have sort of corky bark furrowed like a walnut, but it is greyish. They must have been tall straight trees cause the logs he brought are 13' butts never branched low and they are 26" on both ends, no taper. If I am right is Norway maple good? He knows his ash and oak and has brought a bunch. The reason for the questions he is on a schedule for this clearing and I don't want to throw him behind dragging logs to me if he can skip these and just focus on the oak/ash. The job is 50 miles away and he has burn permit for the whole lot. He is clearing with a dozer and track hoe he could just dig a hole and torch them but he is trying to help a brother out by sawing some decent logs for me.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Norm

Sounds like you may have hackberry.

Ron Wenrich

I think Norm may have nailed it.  Hackberry has a grey bark with corky protrusions.  The wood is white, usually with very little heartwood. 

As for Norway maple, yes it is good.  I have sawn a few woods grown Norways, and they saw real nice and have a good grade.  Sells with the soft maple.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Daren

No, I know hackberry. In fact there is some in the yard right now from the same guy I split to heat my shop. These logs are yellowish/brown lumber with a lighter sapwood. The bark is very thick and very chunky. I might have given you the hackberry idea cause I said grey bark. It was about dark when we unloaded them, looking at them this morning (out the window, it is pouring rain) the bark is less grey than greyish brown.

jpad_mi

Deeply furrowed bark and brown heartwood would lead me to believe (guess) that you have a cottonwood log.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/Education/ohiotrees/cottonwood.htm
Jeff P. in Michigan

Daren

Bummer, now I feel dumb. I think you are right Jeff. I will saw one in the morning to be sure, but it fits he is clearing a deep ravine for a municipal project of some sort. That is where they grow. Oh well, I still get the oak and ash and he said they are just as straight and nice as the 2 that confused me.

jpad_mi

Free wood is good wood, right? There's a lot of lumber in those logs. I'm sure you'll find something to use it for.
Jeff P. in Michigan

Thank You Sponsors!